Room service breakfast - diabetes?

I found a copy of the room service quick breakfast and did not see Cheerios or bananas listed. Its my every day breakfast since I am diabetic and it works for me.

If I requested it on the menu would I have a good chance of getting it? Would it be too much trouble? Can the special needs department arrange it?

If its not doable I can get a banana and a box of cereal from the buffet my first morning and just order my milk off the menu.

This will be my first cruise ( or any travel ) since being diagnosed.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Hi Darlene

I do not have diabetes, but I do have serious food allergies so I notify RCI before each cruise so that the dining room is aware. It is a good idea to notify your waiter and the head waiter in your section of the dining room as well. Due to my allergies, they provide me with the menu for the next day after my meal, they may do the same for you, I'm not sure. You can email RCI at: special_needs@rccl.com and rcldining@rccl.com to notify the ship regarding your diabetes.

From my experience the menu items are what is available for room service breakfast. They do a fruit plate, however, they may be able to provide you with a banana each day. It is probably easier to simply go to the Windjammer and procure the bananas there, keeping a few in your cabin and replacing as required. I'm not sure if the WJ has cheerios, or if they can be ordered on the breakfast card, someone else may be able to confirm this information. I typically bring some food items that I know that the ship does not have on hand just in case I'm hungry and can't get what I want. If you absolutely must have cheerios you could bring along a container of cheerios, it is fine in your carryon or checked bag.

I hope this helps.

Dee :)

You can get Cheerios in the WJ and the MDR, so I can't imagine that room service would not have that cereal. If it not mentioned specifically on the menu, just write it in or call room service and ask if they have Cheerios available. Cheerio!!! :D

Just a suggestion- certainly not trying to say that this is a better option...

Sounds like you are carb/sugar counting for obvious reasons. You know how many carbs are in milk, cheerios and banana, so you use it, and plan with that.

My suggestion is to perhaps do a little research on equivalent carbs found in other foods? If you have a few more options, you won't have to worry about switching up your insulin dosing if you find another combo which works provides the same carbs. Tons of websites/apps out there which calculate these at a glance.

Again, just a suggestion - my son is a newly diagnosed type 1, and we are learning how to adjust life around it - so my suggestions are only to give you options.

Edit- if you are type 2, my suggestions may still be applicable - equivalent carbs.

Edited by Toddcan

Just a suggestion- certainly not trying to say that this is a better option...

Sounds like you are carb/sugar counting for obvious reasons. You know how many carbs are in milk, cheerios and banana, so you use it, and plan with that.

My suggestion is to perhaps do a little research on equivalent carbs found in other foods? If you have a few more options, you won't have to worry about switching up your insulin dosing if you find another combo which works provides the same carbs. Tons of websites/apps out there which calculate these at a glance.

Again, just a suggestion - my son is a newly diagnosed type 1, and we are learning how to adjust life around it - so my suggestions are only to give you options.

Edit- if you are type 2, my suggestions may still be applicable - equivalent carbs.

I use Cheerios because I have high cholesterol as well and they are a big part of that diet too.

I will be bringing a few of my own foods that I know work for me.

I am four month in with no medicine ... Down 27 pounds and my fasting numbers went from 157 to an average of 105. Diet alone - no medicine. Its been a total change of life.

I use Cheerios because I have high cholesterol as well and they are a big part of that diet too.

I am four month in with no medicine ... Down 27 pounds and my fasting numbers went from 157 to an average of 105. Diet alone - no medicine. Its been a total change of life.

If you are a new type II I highly recommend the book the big fat surprise. It is a well researched book discussing how the low fat diet is killing us. I cut all carbs and eat meat, eggs, and cheese and dropped my blood sugar from 105 to 75 and cholesterol from 210 to 145.

I have had type 2 for thirty years. Although I have had to go on medicine in the last few years, I don't do insulin. I have found over the years to just balance protein with my carbs and I get along good on a cruise. I don't let my diabetes control me. Rather I control it. I usually do test daily while traveling though

Congrats on the great progress! As a long-time diagnosee, just know that there will be ups and downs. Chronic diseases are a pain in the backside. Keep up the good work!

Thank you for the kind words. I get my A1C results on the 26 so hoping it's good news.

I plan on behaving myself on this cruise but am going to have a couple special treats as well.

I have an aft cabin so I have a long walk to get anywhere and elevators are not allowed either.

Outstanding, congratulations! I am Type 2 diagnosed 6 years ago. I saw a diabetes educator/nutritionist for a two-day course, and she taught us how to eat and read food labels. Like you said, it is life-changing. I lost 45 pounds, started walking a few miles each day, and Dr. was so pleased she said I could go off my medication if I wanted. :D

Outstanding, congratulations! I am Type 2 diagnosed 6 years ago. I saw a diabetes educator/nutritionist for a two-day course, and she taught us how to eat and read food labels. Like you said, it is life-changing. I lost 45 pounds, started walking a few miles each day, and Dr. was so pleased she said I could go off my medication if I wanted. :D

I love hearing these stories. Congratulations to you. I have two family members with diabetes and they use the meds as a crutch so they can eat what they want. They are amazed I didnt do the same.

I'm essentially the only adult in my family who's not diabetic, and some of my relatives are very into the "must eat these items only" mindset -- it works for them.

My husband enjoys eggs for breakfast, and they're great for diabetics -- and they can be prepared so many ways. Boil them, and they're portable. Top them with salsa, and you're adding vegetables.

More to the point of your question:

If you really want bananas, I suggest you pick up all you're going to want at the first day's breakfast. Why? Remember you're on a ship: All the fruit they're going to have is there on Day 1. If you bring the bananas back to your stateroom, you'll know you'll have them available later in the week.

As for Cheerios, I think bringing your own might be wise. Yes, they'll have cereal, but will they have Cheerios ... or Honey Nut Cheerios ... or off-brand in a big container with no nutritional information. For a vacation, I'd get the individual containers.