Let's talk EGGS

ekatiel

I know, riveting topic. My son has recently undergone a new food allergy treatment called Oral Immunotherapy. He had an anaphylactic egg allergy. During the treatment, he was fed small, increasing amounts off egg each day until he could tolerate an entire egg (under the supervision of a board certified allergist-- don't try this at home!). Now, he can eat foods containing egg without a problem. He must eat a single, fresh scrambled egg each day to maintain his tolerance to eggs. I am assuming that this order will be easily fulfilled in the MDR, but if we decide to eat breakfast in the buffet, will they be able to do this at the egg station? Do they crack the eggs there, or is there just a vat of eggs they dip out of? Anyone know if anything is mixed with the vat of eggs like milk? I will bring a scale so I can weigh the egg if need be. I just need it to be fresh and not over-cooked. Thanks for any insight!

I know, riveting topic. My son has recently undergone a new food allergy treatment called Oral Immunotherapy. He had an anaphylactic egg allergy. During the treatment, he was fed small, increasing amounts off egg each day until he could tolerate an entire egg (under the supervision of a board certified allergist-- don't try this at home!). Now, he can eat foods containing egg without a problem. He must eat a single, fresh scrambled egg each day to maintain his tolerance to eggs. I am assuming that this order will be easily fulfilled in the MDR, but if we decide to eat breakfast in the buffet, will they be able to do this at the egg station? Do they crack the eggs there, or is there just a vat of eggs they dip out of? Anyone know if anything is mixed with the vat of eggs like milk? I will bring a scale so I can weigh the egg if need be. I just need it to be fresh and not over-cooked. Thanks for any insight!

While there are eggs cooked to order at many buffets, and you could request a scrambled egg in the MDR, it would be best to address this with special needs beforehand. The "vat" of eggs is "pasteurized egg product", which is made from eggs removed from the shell, pasteurized, and scrambled with an emulsifier to keep it together. This is used virtually everywhere onboard that a whole fresh egg is not needed (like a fried egg). I would suggest you discuss this with your allergist to see if this will meet your needs. I don't know about RCI in particular, but many ships will also use pasteurized shell eggs (I don't know how they pasteurize the eggs in the shell), as this removes the necessity of warning guests about eating undercooked eggs. So, even a shell egg may not be "fresh" depending on your definition or dietary requirements.

I get two eggs over easy everyday on the ship, from the made to order egg station in the Windjammer. They are eggs that are typically already cracked into a dish that the chef dumps into a pan and cooks. They have a bucket of pasteurized eggs that they use to make omelets. If you explain the issue, I am sure they will take one of the eggs that are in the cups and scramble it fresh for your child each day.

Thanks for the informative replies, guys. Pasteurized is OK. "Egg product" is sketchier :eek:. My son is actually supposed to dose with egg white powder (it is pasteurized but not cooked), but he developed an aversion to pretty much anything we mixed it with, so we're on lightly scrambled eggs for now. I will definitely explain our situation once we are on board. We are already on special diet's radar b/c my son still has allergies to peanuts and hazelnuts (those are next on our list for OIT!). I have already called and noted those allergies on our reservation, so I'm sure we'll be talking to the head waiter on night one. We usually stay away from the buffet b/c of the allergies, but I'm thinking we might be able to swing a breakfast or two there now that we're only down to nut allergies-- as long as we can get his egg, of course.

There is the issue of the utensils and pan they may cook it in, so discuss that with the head chef as well. The chef and head waiter have to be onside I believe to make it work.

We have met people on our cruises with food problems and some have had a chef make their meal separately just for them. Even in the WJ they can do it. So just make a point of talking to as many as you can to see what can be done to make his cruise enjoyable. Some people had 1 chef they related to and that person would cook their food.

Have a fun cruise and hopefully it all goes well.

I have the same issue, but it's an alcohol allergy, so I have to have a drink each morning to maintain my tolerance. Under the supervision of my wife, who while not an allergist is a gynecologist, so close enough. (Ends in "ist.")

I would recommend you put this in the dietary request, you can fill this out when you check in or call them. They may want a note.

Edited by DrD