Cruising with an under 2 year old?

TennesseeTater

My wife and I currently have our 10 year anniversary trip booked for June, but we may have to cancel it. Unfortunately neither of our parents can watch our two children that week. We have taken our 6 year old on a couple trips and he loves what he calls "the big boat" and he loves "boat school" (camp Carnival)

We have thought about taking them on a 5 or 6 day cruise instead. What was supposed to be a week long trip for 2 may just turn up to be a cruise for 4.

Our only hesitation is taking the 15 month old, he would be closer to 19 months or so when we cruise, but he would not be old enough for Camp Carnival activities.

I've done some research and I know that they allow free play for under 2 a couple times throughout the day in the Camp Carnival room. I also know that they offer some babysitting throughout the day for an hourly charge.

I was hoping I could get some feedback from those of you who have taken their under 2 year olds with them and to see how the experience was. Was it difficult to relax and enjoy the ship while keeping up with a toddler?

Any advice or past experience would be appreciated.

As with anything else it all depends on the toddler.

Since you have a toddler you know that there wont be much relaxing when you are keeping up. They have a tendency to run and explore and get there hands on everything they can touch. Just imagine their behavior at home and see how it would fit on a boat.

The good thing is that there is a lot of time for you to spend quality time with your toddler. If they are potty trained you can take them swimming. There is Seuss at sea on many Carnival ships. You can find some quiet open areas and let them run and explore.

When my wife and I sail with our son we enjoy hanging out with him during the sea days and dropping him off at camp ocean in the evenings to have some adult time.

We also enjoy staying on the ship during port days and having him in camp ocean. The ship is so empty and you can enjoy many amenities that are normally very cramped.

In the end its going to come down to how you like to have fun and relax. Just remember its a great time to spend time with your family and we truly enjoy it!

As with anything else it all depends on the toddler.

Since you have a toddler you know that there wont be much relaxing when you are keeping up. They have a tendency to run and explore and get there hands on everything they can touch. Just imagine their behavior at home and see how it would fit on a boat.

The good thing is that there is a lot of time for you to spend quality time with your toddler. If they are potty trained you can take them swimming. There is Seuss at sea on many Carnival ships. You can find some quiet open areas and let them run and explore.

When my wife and I sail with our son we enjoy hanging out with him during the sea days and dropping him off at camp ocean in the evenings to have some adult time.

We also enjoy staying on the ship during port days and having him in camp ocean. The ship is so empty and you can enjoy many amenities that are normally very cramped.

In the end its going to come down to how you like to have fun and relax. Just remember its a great time to spend time with your family and we truly enjoy it!

Yes, relaxing may have been a poor word choice! He is very much the type that likes to run around. Since he isn't potty trained he can't go swimming so my hesitation is that he won't have that much to do.

Remember if he cries it is heard thru your walls ,to cabins on both sides of you , There is no insulation in the walls . We have a baby in a cabin next to us cried morning and night , They said he was teething , Us and people on other side of the baby ,both called the desk several times that week , We got 25% off our next cruise , Made for a miserable 7 day cruise

We took our 10 month old to the nightly shows in the main theater. We had a reclining umbrella stroller and he would sleep peacefully through everything. We utilized the free play time at Camp Carnival but we were too exhausted ourselves to take advantage of the night time babysitting.

We avoided the buffet as much as possible and used the MDR's as it felt easier to us to sit down and be served. We used lounges during the day that were not in use for our kid to crawl; yours could run around in them.

The easiest way to get our kid to nap was to bring him outside to the boat deck 3 and just let him listen to the waves and feel the wind. Did the trick every time.

During day times they had towel animal theater and seuss at sea activities (parade, story time) so that was great too.

True, we did not get to party late night, and had to adjust our plans sometimes, but overall it went well and I'd do it again.

We took our 10 month old to the nightly shows in the main theater. We had a reclining umbrella stroller and he would sleep peacefully through everything. We utilized the free play time at Camp Carnival but we were too exhausted ourselves to take advantage of the night time babysitting.

We avoided the buffet as much as possible and used the MDR's as it felt easier to us to sit down and be served. We used lounges during the day that were not in use for our kid to crawl; yours could run around in them.

The easiest way to get our kid to nap was to bring him outside to the boat deck 3 and just let him listen to the waves and feel the wind. Did the trick every time.

During day times they had towel animal theater and seuss at sea activities (parade, story time) so that was great too.

True, we did not get to party late night, and had to adjust our plans sometimes, but overall it went well and I'd do it again.

Thank you. We may end up booking a cruise for later in the year, so we are still exploring options. I think it would definitely be different then what we are used to but we would still enjoy ourselves.

We bring a small DVD player and a small blow up beach ball. Both are used often. Use many of the dance rooms to run around with the ball. One cruise we had a group of young kids that would look for us with our DVD player. We made friends with the adults and we had our own DVD movie night in an empty lounge. We had food, pillows and our PJ.s on. You can have a wonderful time. You just have to plan on it.

Relax and enjoy life,

My granddaughter was 21 months on her first sailing. Our situation was different as it was a family cruise. So we had in family baby sitting to allow my daughter and son in law some date nights.

I will suggest that a balcony is a really wise investment. The additional space is nice especially if you have a crib in the room. The balcony is a great place to relax while the little one naps. (My granddaughter was accustom to going to sleep in her own room and tended not to go to sleep if someone was in view)

We took the family with a 20 month old GS a few years ago. Since we had several family members and us we were able to manage the babysitting among us. Doesn't sound like that will be an option for you.

If you can afford it book a Junior Suite with the walk-in closet. It's large enough for a pack and play so the little one can have their own room (sort of).

Our kids have both sailed since around 10 months and they love it! It's a different type of trip for sure, but adjust (or drop completely) your expectations and you can have a great trip! We have brought along my aunt before to help out with the kiddos on board as well...have anyone you can do that with?

A "family" vacation is totally different than a "romantic getaway"....up to you to decide which you want!

If you do decide on the family vacay, bring a blow-up tub...useful for bathing in a shower, and can be used on the pool deck for "splashing"....only takes a bit of water for baby to splash in!!

We did our very first cruise ever almost 13 years ago and took our kids with us. Our two older kids were 6 and 10 and loved Camp Carnival and had a great time, but our youngest was only 1yo and it was a challenge. Our only saving grace for DW & I was that we had booked a suite with a balcony, so while he was napping we could unwind on the balcony and enjoy the ocean views. Port/beach days were mostly relaxing too, so long as he was kept entertained. But all in all, even though he was a pleasant mannered baby and toddler, the confined areas he had to be in in order to be safe on the ship and not disturb other passengers trying to enjoy their cruise vacations kept us from largely enjoying ours.

After that, we stuck to family land vacations at the beach until he was older and cruised when grandma could watch the kids. Just MHO, but I think our whole family enjoyed cruising more when he got a bit older and was less maintenance.