Welcome Back Certificates and cancellation of

MandyMommyof2

Just wanted to give anyone/everyone a heads up a small, yet big detail they leave out when you book a cruise using the Welcome Back Certificate. I called and cancelled 2 cabins I had booked for July on 1/4/16, well within the cancellation date. I was informed that my cards would be refunded within 2-3 business days. After waiting and still no credit to my card, I called Norwegian only to be informed that the Welcome Back certificates can only be cancelled within the 30 days of purchase. So now I am out the $500.00 I paid. I was never informed of the 30 day window. So just a heads up incase you didn't know. I know that yes, the credit is still there for us to use for a future cruise, but cruising is not something we want to do every year or two. Very disappointed :(

Just wanted to give anyone/everyone a heads up a small, yet big detail they leave out when you book a cruise using the Welcome Back Certificate.
There are several details that people should know about before purchasing, and they are all available on the NCL website:

Norwegian Cruise Line Welcome Back Rewards Coupon Terms & Conditions

Another detail that may be useful for you is this one: "Welcome Back Reward Coupons are transferable." So you are not necessarily out $500, if you can find someone who can use the coupons before they expire and who is willing to pay you all or part of your purchase price.

Hawkeyetise, I know. I really should have researched the Welcome Back program. At the time it sounded wonderful!! What really upset me I suppose is that the customer service rep I spoke with on the phone assured me when I cancelled that it was all refundable because I was in that penalty free window and she knew that I had applied the deposit as the welcome backs. I'm trying to look on the bright side now that I will just have to cruise again within the time frame.

I think that you have misunderstood what the refund means, the certificates have always returned to the MyNCL account as-is, ie. your account has now been refunded with two certificates. The system has been in place so long that I can't see how the rep would have been confused or unclear about that.

I think that you have misunderstood what the refund means, the certificates have always returned to the MyNCL account as-is, ie. your account has now been refunded with two certificates. The system has been in place so long that I can't see how the rep would have been confused or unclear about that.

Hi Demonyte :) No, she reassured me that the refund would be my credit card being refunded, and that this would not be put towards my Latitudes account. But of course, it is, and as much as I would like to have my card credited back I am looking to the brighter side that now we have to cruise again, sooner than later. Maybe she was a new employee, who knows..... I should have researched better. I just wanted to let others know my situation, in case they get all caught up in the Welcome Back sounding like a grand idea.

Are these different then the future cruise certificates that you can purchase on board? And I am to understand that you want the refund of the price of the certificate? Why would they do that? Also aren't they valid for four years?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Are these different then the future cruise certificates that you can purchase on board? And I am to understand that you want the refund of the price of the certificate? Why would they do that? Also aren't they valid for four years?

This is basically the same thing as the future cruise certificate. The only difference is, I purchased ours once we were back from our cruise. Since we had cruised recently, NCL offers this. And yes, I wanted a refund for the price of those certificates ($500.00). Why would they do that??......well since it was supposed to be used as my deposit thats why I was expecting it to be refunded. I paid for these. And yes, they are valid for 4 years. Do we think we know we want to cruise within the 4 years....no. I purchased because we had such a great time on the Getaway we wanted to do it again this summer. Due to job changes, our family had to cancel and once we talked it over we realized land base vacations were what we liked. I am by no means trying to get through a loop hole or cause trouble of any sort. I just wanted folks who weren't familiar with the program to know there are clauses for you to not be reimbursed/refunded.

This is basically the same thing as the future cruise certificate. The only difference is, I purchased ours once we were back from our cruise. Since we had cruised recently, NCL offers this. And yes, I wanted a refund for the price of those certificates ($500.00). Why would they do that??......well since it was supposed to be used as my deposit thats why I was expecting it to be refunded. I paid for these. And yes, they are valid for 4 years. Do we think we know we want to cruise within the 4 years....no. I purchased because we had such a great time on the Getaway we wanted to do it again this summer. Due to job changes, our family had to cancel and once we talked it over we realized land base vacations were what we liked. I am by no means trying to get through a loop hole or cause trouble of any sort. I just wanted folks who weren't familiar with the program to know there are clauses for you to not be reimbursed/refunded.

I guess I just don't understand why anyone would think that once you make a purchase for a certificate that there would be any reason they would let you return it and get a refund. You used it as your deposit for a cruise, decided to cancel the cruise, the certificates are still yours and ready to be used as a deposit in the future. Just because you now decided that you might not be able to use it within the next 4 years doesn't mean they would just let you return it. Needless to say, you did think so, so there could be others that will benefit from your information. I hope you find a way to use them and or transfer them to someone who can use them.

I assume you got OBC with the purchase. Did you really think you were getting $500 back? It's a gamble you make at the time to get OBC. We have 2 that expire in November that I think I need to sell (for $150 each, of course) because of circumstances that have come up (parent passed away, and now I'm caregiver to surviving parent). Never thought to ask NCL for a refund!

If you don't want your Welcome Back Reward certificates why don't you sell them? They are fully transferable.

You purchased the certificates after returning from a cruise. You paid $250 each and the Welcome Back Reward comes with a $75 On Board Credit to applied to the cruise you book with the reward. They aren't quite as good a deal as regular Cruise Reward where you get $100 OBC on the cruise when you purchase them so net cost is $150 but are still a good deal for someone who wants to book a cruise and doesn't want to pony up cash for the deposit.

I assume you got OBC with the purchase. Did you really think you were getting $500 back? It's a gamble you make at the time to get OBC. We have 2 that expire in November that I think I need to sell (for $150 each, of course) because of circumstances that have come up (parent passed away, and now I'm caregiver to surviving parent). Never thought to ask NCL for a refund!
I am very sorry for your lose. I don't think you understand...I paid $500.00 for these two certificates, this was not OBC. Yes, I did think I would get that amount back. I was told that I was well within the "no penalty", so therefore would get the deposits back. I was told this when I cancelled on January 2nd. The cruise wasn't until July 2016. Loosing OBC would not have been a big deal to me. I'm not causing a stink, or was I expecting some type of special treatment . I just wanted to raise awareness that there is date to fully receive your money back. And it's 30 days. If you do cancel within 30 days they will fully refund you for what you paid for each certificate.

I am very sorry for your lose. I don't think you understand...I paid $500.00 for these two certificates, this was not OBC. Yes, I did think I would get that amount back. I was told that I was well within the "no penalty", so therefore would get the deposits back. I was told this when I cancelled on January 2nd. The cruise wasn't until July 2016. Loosing OBC would not have been a big deal to me. I'm not causing a stink, or was I expecting some type of special treatment . I just wanted to raise awareness that there is date to fully receive your money back. And it's 30 days. If you do cancel within 30 days they will fully refund you for what you paid for each certificate.

Just wanted to say you're handling this well. Not sure why people are in semi-attack mode. You've made it clear you should have done more research and that you were misinformed and just want people to be aware. This can be a harsh place!

Thank you for the information. I, for one, appreciate it. :)

If you don't want your Welcome Back Reward certificates why don't you sell them? They are fully transferable.

You purchased the certificates after returning from a cruise. You paid $250 each and the Welcome Back Reward comes with a $75 On Board Credit to applied to the cruise you book with the reward. They aren't quite as good a deal as regular Cruise Reward where you get $100 OBC on the cruise when you purchase them so net cost is $150 but are still a good deal for someone who wants to book a cruise and doesn't want to pony up cash for the deposit.

Kjquilts, Hi :) You are exactly right!! And thank you for your helpful words. Seems others always jump to conclusions that and assume people are trying to get things that aren't entitled to them. At first, I was upset that I would not get a refund, but I've just decided we will take a cruise within the time the certificates are good for :)

You got the deposit back. You paid your deposit in the form certificates and you were refunded in the same manner. Just like when you return something to a stare that you paid for with a CC, they refund you by crediting your CC. (I know sometimes they mess up and give you cash but they are not legally supposed to do that.)

You got the deposit back. You paid your deposit in the form certificates and you were refunded in the same manner. Just like when you return something to a stare that you paid for with a CC, they refund you by crediting your CC. (I know sometimes they mess up and give you cash but they are not legally supposed to do that.)

I do see what you are saying. :) I just thought that since I was canceling and was in the correct window and wanted to completely cancel that I would be refunded that said amount to my card. And I even questioned the consultant/customer service lady that I would be refunded said amount to my card and her answer was yes. So that was my disappointment. I will be certain to read all the fine line and details next time. I've got 4 years to plan anther cruise.

Just wanted to say you're handling this well. Not sure why people are in semi-attack mode. You've made it clear you should have done more research and that you were misinformed and just want people to be aware. This can be a harsh place!

Thank you for the information. I, for one, appreciate it. :)

Quilting_Cruiser, thank you so much for your kind words. :) I never posted to make a ruckus or whine and try and make others feel I was entitled to something I wasn't. I think we all as adults know that stores/companies have return policies. This being one I was not aware of. I wanted everyone to be aware as I had done a search on canceling a future cruise/welcome back certificate here on Cruise Critic and didn't find any useful information. I just wanted to put that bit of information out there hoping to help someone. I always come to the boards to find help, not criticize someone or respond with rude answers. From this, I have decided when we take our next cruise (I've got 4 years to plan...lol) I will not buy any type of certificate.

I do see what you are saying. :) I just thought that since I was canceling and was in the correct window and wanted to completely cancel that I would be refunded that said amount to my card. And I even questioned the consultant/customer service lady that I would be refunded said amount to my card and her answer was yes. So that was my disappointment. I will be certain to read all the fine line and details next time. I've got 4 years to plan anther cruise.

I think the confusion here is because there are two (2) different cancellations.

A) You purchased the Welcome Back Rewards

B) You used the Welcome Back Rewards to book a cruise

Then, you called to cancel the cruise AND to cancel the Rewards. However, it seems that the rep thought that you only wanted to cancel the cruise. The information you were given was correct...with regard to the cruise only. You were within the cancellation period, and you would get a refund...for the cruise.

NOT, however, for the Welcome Back Rewards.

As noted, they can only be cancelled within 30 days of purchase. Other than that, they are simply returned to your account for future use.

I think that everything done here was within the stated rules and policies.

I think the confusion here is because there are two (2) different cancellations.

A) You purchased the Welcome Back Rewards

B) You used the Welcome Back Rewards to book a cruise

Then, you called to cancel the cruise AND to cancel the Rewards. However, it seems that the rep thought that you only wanted to cancel the cruise. The information you were given was correct...with regard to the cruise only. You were within the cancellation period, and you would get a refund...for the cruise.

NOT, however, for the Welcome Back Rewards.

As noted, they can only be cancelled within 30 days of purchase. Other than that, they are simply returned to your account for future use.

I think that everything done here was within the stated rules and policies.

Hi SeaShark,

Yes, I found out the Welcome Back Rewards can only be cancelled for a refund within 30 days today. I have said I should have done more research myself prior to buying them. I was told upon cancelling, from NCL that I would be refunded the amount I paid for the 2 rewards. I have spoke with their Cruise Next department and found all of the details. I have never stated that there were any rules or policies broken.....not sure where that came from. I just wanted others to be aware of this detail because when I purchased these, I was not informed.

It does sound like the OP was given misinformation when they cancelled their booking, if the agent told them explicitly that the refund would be going to the credit card and not recredited to their Latitudes account.

MandyMommyof2, did you have any other funds applied to the booking, or just the two Welcome Back coupons? (I'm assuming this was for two staterooms?) The NCL rep should really be capable of telling you what amount(s) will be refunded or otherwise returned to you, and how/when this will happen.

It does sound like the OP was given misinformation when they cancelled their booking, if the agent told them explicitly that the refund would be going to the credit card and not recredited to their Latitudes account.

MandyMommyof2, did you have any other funds applied to the booking, or just the two Welcome Back coupons? (I'm assuming this was for two staterooms?) The NCL rep should really be capable of telling you what amount(s) will be refunded or otherwise returned to you, and how/when this will happen.

Hi Hawkeyetlse :) When I purchased the Welcome Back Rewards, it was for 2 cabins on the same cruise. One was for my family and the other my Mom and Dad. Both of course paid for by me. I should have ask more questions about the program/certificates that day but didn't. We have cruised many times but this was my first time buying anything like this. I was still on that cruise high and knew we had to get back to the Getaway...lol. Yes, the rep told me the day I cancelled the cruise that $100.00 would be applied to my debit card ( I had paid this towards my outstanding balance) and that the other $500.00 for the two cetificates would be credited to my CC within 2-3 business days. We even talked specifically on how I used the Rewards. She did not mention anything of the rewards going into my Latitudes account. They did apply my cash refund back into my checking/debit account for the $100.00. I even looked back over my notes from when I talked to the rep on that day. It's not the end of the world, and I have learned from my mistake or lack of knowledge on the subject. :)

Edited by MandyMommyof2

If you would still prefer getting a refund of the coupons, you could try escalating it and ask NCL if they recorded that call. They might agree to honor what the rep told you (in error).

Did they ask for your CC number for the refund? Or did they say they still somehow had it on file? (I see no reason for them to store the CC number used to purchase the Welcome Back coupons beyond the first 30 days.)

If you would still prefer getting a refund of the coupons, you could try escalating it and ask NCL if they recorded that call. They might agree to honor what the rep told you (in error).

Did they ask for your CC number for the refund? Or did they say they still somehow had it on file? (I see no reason for them to store the CC number used to purchase the Welcome Back coupons beyond the first 30 days.)

Yes, she specifcally said to me this amount will be credited to card last four digits xxxx and this other amount will go to card, last four digits xxxx. I logged into my CC account and noticed there was no credit but there was to my bank card. Thats what prompted me to call and question. We've decided to just go with it and be on the lookout for the perfect spring break cruise...lol.