MDR a la carte Menu

100th Meridian

yet they've cheapened the menu as a whole by eliminating items which had always been included in the cruise fare - like steak.

I don't recall ever seeing a MDR menu which doesn't include steak. The new ones on the Escape have two steak options each night, as far as I've seen (not including the a la carte prime rib).

Edited by KeithJenner

On the Getaway about a month ago. Overall, it was the best food we've had on any of our NCL cruises. And the buffet even had some very good prime rib. In the past I always though of that as nothing but some roast beef. This was good. O'Sheehans was slow service, but food was very good. Le Bistro and Moderno, best food and service we've ever had from them....excellent. Overall, for the entire cruise, thought all the food we wanted was just fine.

Thank you. I've never been a fan of O'Sheehan's simply due to the service. It seems to take forever for someone to even come to the table to take your order and even more than forever for the food to get there!

Thanks for sharing......

Harriet

I ate at O'sheehans multiple times on my breakaway cruise this past September. Not once did I have a service issue. And never waited more that about 15 minutes for my food.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I will be having one of those one and half pound lobsters they have and Tony says he is up for a 16oz prime rib. The "free" lobster tails were pathetic and a 16oz piece of meat is about 3 times bigger than the portion on the "free" menu. I welcome the option to pay extra to have something that is worth it to me.

I get it that some of you don't think this is good but please don't say they should stop this because YOU don't like it. I welcome choice and understand that the decision to pass or purchase is mine.

I agree, the up charge items might not be for everybody, but for those that want lobster and are willing to pay for it, which hasn't been available for a year and a half or more, it is great. It is all about choices.

I like the idea of a few premium charged dishes on the MDR menu. Particularly the Surf and Turf. I understand this might not be something everyone likes but for us it is perfect. My DH does not wish to go to speciality restaurants this time. But I so want my Filet mignon or even better Surf and Turf. Well previously I would have either missed that or my husband would have ok'd Cagney's but not very willingly. He would have been perfectly happy with the MDR selection but because DW (=me :D ) absolutely wanted a Surf and Turf he had to also pay for speciality restaurant meal. I would hear ages about that.

We usually visited Cagney's one time on a cruise but not any other speciality place. So the cost was for us around $60. Now with the a la carte we would pay of Cagney's much much more as we would never get SDP. With the "pay extra" Surf and Turf at MDR I get what I want and he too, a free meal for him. :D And also my appetizers and dessert are free.

It would be nice to hear though from someone who has ordered this from MDR if how it was like. The side dishes etc. No Cagney's fries for sure. :D

Edited by European_CruiseGirl

Thank you. I've never been a fan of O'Sheehan's simply due to the service. It seems to take forever for someone to even come to the table to take your order and even more than forever for the food to get there!

Thanks for sharing......

Harriet

Harriet weren't you on the BA in Jan 4 th 2015?

We were but choose the ksf on the gem for this Jan

I will be having one of those one and half pound lobsters they have and Tony says he is up for a 16oz prime rib. The "free" lobster tails were pathetic and a 16oz piece of meat is about 3 times bigger than the portion on the "free" menu. I welcome the option to pay extra to have something that is worth it to me.

I get it that some of you don't think this is good but please don't say they should stop this because YOU don't like it. I welcome choice and understand that the decision to pass or purchase is mine.

I'm in this camp for the most part. While I don't generally care for taking something free away and bringing it back for a fee, there's an exception where it's brought back "better" or more frequently. So if the lobster is larger/better than the free lobster in the past, and its available every night as opposed to once or not at all, then I don't mind there being an upcharge. I probably wouldn't pay it, but added options for added cost isn't a problem for me.

It's not about right or wrong. It's business. Changes are made all the time. One either accepts the change and continues doing business with the company or one looks elsewhere. Do I like all the changes that NCL has made? Of course not. I don't think anyone is going to say they like paying more for anything. But that doesn't mean that prices don't go up. For the most part my cost and experience has not changed that much.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Very well said. I don't think anyone on here has ever said..please, please raise the prices or charge me for this or that, but many understand why there are changes and increases in fees and prices. It is called doing business. My December cruise experience was just as good as my first cruise with NCL.

Harriet weren't you on the BA in Jan 4 th 2015?

We were but choose the ksf on the gem for this Jan

I was on the Pearl Jan 22-Feb 6, 2015 so wouldn't have been on another cruise January 4, 2015.

Was on BA Nov 29 - Dec. 11 2015

Was on BA Dec. 11-13 2015

Harriet

I like the idea of a few premium charged dishes on the MDR menu. Particularly the Surf and Turf. I understand this might not be something everyone likes but for us it is perfect. My DH does not wish to go to speciality restaurants this time. But I so want my Filet mignon or even better Surf and Turf. Well previously I would have either missed that or my husband would have ok'd Cagney's but not very willingly. He would have been perfectly happy with the MDR selection but because DW (=me :D ) absolutely wanted a Surf and Turf he had to also pay for speciality restaurant meal. I would hear ages about that.

We usually visited Cagney's one time on a cruise but not any other speciality place. So the cost was for us around $60. Now with the a la carte we would pay of Cagney's much much more as we would never get SDP. With the "pay extra" Surf and Turf at MDR I get what I want and he too, a free meal for him. :D And also my appetizers and dessert are free.

It would be nice to hear though from someone who has ordered this from MDR if how it was like. The side dishes etc. No Cagney's fries for sure. :D

I'm curious too if someone has ordered a la carte from this new menu and what their opinion of it was.

I'm curious too if someone has ordered a la carte from this new menu and what their opinion of it was.

I only recall hearing from one person on here who ordered the lobster and said it was terrible. I'm sure others have ordered it and since we're not hearing a loud chorus of complaints, it's likely just fine.

On the Sky last week the "always available" didn't include a steak of any sort... just a burger and fries.

That's disappointing. I imagine most people dining in the MDR's (aside from maybe kids) wouldn't be going there wanting to order a burger. This might be only on the Sky (I hope). Would hate to be on a 7 day cruise and have a burger on the menu in lieu of a steak option.

That's disappointing. I imagine most people dining in the MDR's (aside from maybe kids) wouldn't be going there wanting to order a burger. This might be only on the Sky (I hope). Would hate to be on a 7 day cruise and have a burger on the menu in lieu of a steak option.

The post said that the burger was on the menu every night. It OBVIOUSLY not the only thing on the menu.

What's everyone talking about? The mdr has a great steak every night and sometimes 2 steak dishes

The only burgers in the mdr are sliders on the appetizer menu

Regarding the sky menu? Isn't that the booze cruise 3 niter ship?

If so...I can understand a very scaled down menu

Edited by luvtheships

The post said that the burger was on the menu every night. It OBVIOUSLY not the only thing on the menu.

I know that the burger isn't the only thing on the menu. But for myself (and probably others) steak is my fallback if I find no other entrée to my liking. But replacing the daily steak offering with a burger is extremely disappointing. I wouldn't order a burger for dinner. One, I've may have had one for lunch. Two, I'm sure there are probably other places on the ship I can grab a burger for dinner.

Myself, I'm not one find seafood or a vegetarian option to my liking for dining, so I would probably order the steak a few times in the MDR, based on what was offered. I might be in a position now where I may not dine at the MDR and go to the buffet instead if there isn't an entrée that I am interested in the menu. The thing is I prefer a sit down meal over buffet.

I'm sure I'm not the only one who feels this way.

I would imagine that the burger on the always-available menu was just the Sky. I just looked at the Escape menus again, which are the ones rolling out to the rest of the fleet. There's a steak frites always available, and the featured special seems to be another form of steak every night. That is what I personally find disappointing. While I am certainly no vegetarian, it would have been nice for them to attempt to be slightly more diverse with the nightly special than beef beef beef beef beef beef beef. [emoji13]

I would imagine that the burger on the always-available menu was just the Sky. I just looked at the Escape menus again, which are the ones rolling out to the rest of the fleet. There's a steak frites always available, and the featured special seems to be another form of steak every night. That is what I personally find disappointing. While I am certainly no vegetarian, it would have been nice for them to attempt to be slightly more diverse with the nightly special than beef beef beef beef beef beef beef. [emoji13]

Yes but the steak frites is a far cheaper cut of beef than the Strip loins or New York Strip as they are called in the USA that were available every night in the MDRs without any additional charge