MDR a la carte Menu

100th Meridian

It's a slippery slope. If it is successful I can see them deciding to continue lowering the quality of the "included" food to get people to pay more in what was an inclusive dining venue. I'll tell you what, if I pay extra for something in the MDR it better be worth it or I will be sending it back until it is what I expect (I am reasonable so I am expecting the most amazing surf and turf in my life). I was glad they got rid of what they passed off as a lobster tail as it was such a disappointment. I do like that they will offer surf and turf in the MDR but if they are charging extra is better be MDR lobster 2.0 and not that thumb sized tough stuff.

I would prefer they not be offered. What I see, and perhaps it's industry-wide, is a lessening of the experience. Much like Spirit Airlines, where they have a cheap fare, but it only includes your a$$ and gas. I wouldn't fly with them. Those marketing tactics don't appeal to me. I'd rather they just increase the fare and keep things simple. More choices doesn't always equal a better experience or outcome. But, if you like it...I'm fine with that, too. I know that companies make decisions all the time to try to increase revenue. Some I may like and some I may not like.

Eh, either way, we have a cruise booked for September....and I'm really looking forward to it.

You got half of your wish as NCL has definitely increased the fare but they aren't keeping things simple. FEE$TYLE is here to stay I'm afraid. :( Time will tell.

Edited by kdzkatz

I would prefer they not be offered. What I see, and perhaps it's industry-wide, is a lessening of the experience. Much like Spirit Airlines, where they have a cheap fare, but it only includes your a$$ and gas. I wouldn't fly with them. Those marketing tactics don't appeal to me. I'd rather they just increase the fare and keep things simple. More choices doesn't always equal a better experience or outcome. But, if you like it...I'm fine with that, too. I know that companies make decisions all the time to try to increase revenue. Some I may like and some I may not like.

Eh, either way, we have a cruise booked for September....and I'm really looking forward to it.

Great post, and your example of Spirit Airlines is spot on. It's there for those that want it, and are willing to pay for it, but it's not a necessity for those that don't. No big deal from what I can see. I guess we'll find out in 9 days.

I looked at the new MDR Menus on the Escape and I agree, it seems the strip loin has been replaced with steak frites. The striploin was my go to meal when I couldn't find something else. They also got rid of the bolognese pasta. I am not a fan of the new menus. It looks like cheaper food to me.

My wife had the Steak Frites on the Escape and I have to say that it was very good. In my opinion, it was the best steak we've had in the MDR for quite a while.

I agree about losing the bolognese pasta. In fact, the issue I have with the new menus is that they are missing some of those items which are good for a more fussy eater. The MDRs were always an option for us as our son, who is quite fussy, could always go for one of the pasta dishes. On the Escape he ended up eating off the kids menu.

Other than that, I thought the new menus were a vast improvement on the old ones.

I just looked past the a la carte items.

I will be having one of those one and half pound lobsters they have and Tony says he is up for a 16oz prime rib. The "free" lobster tails were pathetic and a 16oz piece of meat is about 3 times bigger than the portion on the "free" menu. I welcome the option to pay extra to have something that is worth it to me.

I get it that some of you don't think this is good but please don't say they should stop this because YOU don't like it. I welcome choice and understand that the decision to pass or purchase is mine.

I like the option of purchasing an upscale item from the menu. It is an option that that I don't have to use but if I do feel like it then I don't have to go to a specialty restaurant. Yes, they used to offer the prime rib and lobster gratis but menus do change and what is there one sailing may not be there the next.

I like the option of purchasing an upscale item from the menu. It is an option that that I don't have to use but if I do feel like it then I don't have to go to a specialty restaurant. Yes, they used to offer the prime rib and lobster gratis but menus do change and what is there one sailing may not be there the next.

I think that the quality of included foods have significantly increased over the past two years. They first started to "test market" new and improved menus on the Getaway. Sure, then got rid of some of the old standards like chicken fingers, and put in lunch items like poached salmon, and a scallop appetizer. Change is good. And if they have to get rid of more items like chicken fingers to add things to meet the more contemporary taste, that is great. Personally, I am not going to go on a cruise to eat a plate of chicken fingers that I can get at my local fast food joint for $3.

In 2014 all the items for an upcharge were complimentary, at least a version of them.

There was absolutely no Surf and Turf in the MDR in 2014, or any version of it. We were very happy to have UDP back then.

Now, you can choose to get things like that if you want. That's a good thing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I personally don't mind NCL adding the a la carte to the MDR menu. However, if I am spending an extra $15 for prime rib, it better be worth it, cooked properly to level of wellness I desired and better be nice and warm.

I'm going to hold the a la carte items to a higher standard, and expect it to be better than the regular entrees on the MDR menu.

I'm not one to generally complain about food at a restaurant, and don't recall any bad experiences at the MDR my two previous NCL cruises 7 and 8 years ago. I'd be more willing to let something slide (something slightly over cooked or food that isn't that warm) if I haven't paid an up charge for.

Do back the the original post, has anyone had an a la carte item off the MDR menu?

I personally don't mind NCL adding the a la carte to the MDR menu. However, if I am spending an extra $15 for prime rib, it better be worth it, cooked properly to level of wellness I desired and better be nice and warm.

I'm going to hold the a la carte items to a higher standard, and expect it to be better than the regular entrees on the MDR menu.

I'm not one to generally complain about food at a restaurant, and don't recall any bad experiences at the MDR my two previous NCL cruises 7 and 8 years ago. I'd be more willing to let something slide (something slightly over cooked or food that isn't that warm) if I haven't paid an up charge for.

Do back the the original post, has anyone had an a la carte item off the MDR menu?

I agree, if you are paying extra it has to meet expectations.

When I was on the Epic in early December they didn't have the upcharge menus in place and one of the ship's chefs (not going to name or say what the exact title was) seemed surprised NCL would even think of doing this. He had no knowledge of the change that was coming, yet I knew. He said it's funny how passengers tell him things before the cruise line does.

Getting back to the topic at hand... NCL has cheapened their menus repeatedly over the last several re-dos. They said the cold soups were tacky and too cheap to be on the menu anymore, yet they've cheapened the menu as a whole by eliminating items which had always been included in the cruise fare - like steak. The cost of beef has gone up sure but so has the cost of everything else. I'd much rather see the base fares go up then this constant for additional fee crap for things that used to be included. Sad part is, the base fares have gone up and it's only going into investors pockets.

Here's hoping this new menu change gives NCL the money to finally fix their stupid check-in website. Maybe they might even upgrade their system as it's now the oldest one in North American cruise market. What a pain in the a$$ that thing has become... it's down more than up lately. :mad:

Does anyone know of the Strip-loin steaks that used to be on the part of the menu that didn't change each night are still there and free of charge. They where always listed in a section under the appetizers on the left hand side of the menus - NCL favorites of something like that

Still free and still delicious served to perfection exactly how I ordered it ...several times...on my gem Jan 2 cruise

Also on night 10 they served me a gorgeous juicy piece of rare prime rib.....which was on the regular menu at no charge.

Btw osheehans was offering prime rib night also but I know better than to go there for it based on my ba experience with the prime rib night

When I was on the Epic in early December they didn't have the upcharge menus in place and one of the ship's chefs (not going to name or say what the exact title was) seemed surprised NCL would even think of doing this. He had no knowledge of the change that was coming, yet I knew. He said it's funny how passengers tell him things before the cruise line does.

Getting back to the topic at hand... NCL has cheapened their menus repeatedly over the last several re-dos. They said the cold soups were tacky and too cheap to be on the menu anymore, yet they've cheapened the menu as a whole by eliminating items which had always been included in the cruise fare - like steak. The cost of beef has gone up sure but so has the cost of everything else. I'd much rather see the base fares go up then this constant for additional fee crap for things that used to be included. Sad part is, the base fares have gone up and it's only going into investors pockets.

Here's hoping this new menu change gives NCL the money to finally fix their stupid check-in website. Maybe they might even upgrade their system as it's now the oldest one in North American cruise market. What a pain in the a$$ that thing has become... it's down more than up lately. :mad:

I agree that the changes are not for the best but my steaks were free and delicious and served to perfection

I even liked the escargot dish they had on night 9 I believe....a big upgrade from the chopped escargot thing they offered last year on toast

Of course the best and properly served escargot is at le bistro but we were doing specialty mdr this trip.....didn't do the free orchid garden either based on other pax opinions...and didn't feel we missed a thing either.

I'm seeing lots of comments about what's been removed and/or replaced. Some of the items still appear to be available on a rotating basis.

From the Escape MDR menus on BeyondShips...

Classic Favorites - avail every night

Steak Frites NY Strip Diane

Featured Entrees - one avail each night

NY Strip au Poivre

Roasted Beef Tenderloin

Herbed Garlic Sirloin au Jus

Beef Wellington

Argentine Skirt Steak

Roasted Beef Strip Loin au Jus

And then the $24.95 Surf & Turf with 8oz Filet Mignon

Edit: Great, now I'm hungry for steak at 8:30am and I'm still 15 days away from any of these

Edited by TheDougOut
User 'detroitlions' didn't want to pay an upcharge to chew on a turk. Some people. :-)

The upcharge items are a great addition to the MDR menu. I you don't want to buy it (just like the "drink of the day"), you don't have to. Give the option of getting something special without dragging the whole family to a specialty restaurant.

Great Change!

I see the food quality going down on the included items which you are already paying for in your fair. The whole idea of cruising used to be enjoying the food and the atmosphere doing things all week that you normally would not do. I like going to the special restaurants but I also like going to the main dining room when I like the menu. Kinda mix it up a little (like free style) now its getting to the point where it seems forced. The cruise fair has gone up significantly since last year and they are also finding new ways to get more revenue. I also believe the Italian restaurant should be no charge. I have gone on the last two cruises and its pasta and pizza for the most part.

I'm seeing lots of comments about what's been removed and/or replaced. Some of the items still appear to be available on a rotating basis.

From the Escape MDR menus on BeyondShips...

Classic Favorites - avail every night

Steak Frites NY Strip Diane

Featured Entrees - one avail each night

NY Strip au Poivre

Roasted Beef Tenderloin

Herbed Garlic Sirloin au Jus

Beef Wellington

Argentine Skirt Steak

Roasted Beef Strip Loin au Jus

And then the $24.95 Surf & Turk with 8oz Filet Mignon

Edit: Great, now I'm hungry for steak at 8:30am and I'm still 15 days away from any of these

I am not chewing on a Turk for $25.

While I bemoan for-fee items slowly creeping onto cruise line MDR menus, it seems to be the wave of the future. While these items may be things that may have been included in past, the quality of said items often was not that great.

I have rarely gotten a piece of "Prime Rib" that is anything better than ok. Usually it has been a thin, flavorless, cool piece of rib roast served with a mystery liquid made to look like au jus. The same could be said of the tough, small warm water lobster tails that have been served for years. In my opinion neither of these items were ever more than ok, and definitely not special or memorable.

I have been cruising regularly for 20 years, and yes the quality of many things has been cutback, including some of the niceties once considered standard. That said the ships have become increasingly more amenity filled and diverse in choice. The base fare I pay has not changed much (especially when adjusted for inflation), and in some cases one could argue that cruising has never been more affordable.

Unless your cruising at the worse times of the year the prices exp on NCL have gone up a great deal. I will wait until Feb 1st to make a decision on what cruse I take at the end of march I wanted to go on the getaway same ship I took in the fall. I was also on a NCL ship at the end of march last year (Newer big ship) for 3 of us in a balcony was $2400 with the beverage package. This year same time of year same kind of ship it is $3500. I you don't believe me try to book end of march or any time near it

Btw osheehans was offering prime rib night also but I know better than to go there for it based on my ba experience with the prime rib night

Please explain. I'm traveling next weekend on the Escape with someone who loves Prime Rib and wanted to go to O'Sheehan's when they had it. Please share your experience.....

Harriet

i think the mdr should be free. If it's served there, it should be included. That just seems wrong on some level. I don't care for this trend of instituting lots of add-ons, even if they are optional. Others will disagree, which is fine...but if it's in the mdr....there shouldn't be an added cost.

agree!!

Please explain. I'm traveling next weekend on the Escape with someone who loves Prime Rib and wanted to go to O'Sheehan's when they had it. Please share your experience.....

Harriet

The prime rib I had on the BA in osheehans in 2015 was cold and had no juice

The service we received for a regular meal at the osheehans on the gem last week was laughable

Let's put it this way....savvy cruisers should expect that osheehans is more miss than hit

That said....the prime rib on the gem in the mdr. was incredible....juicy....rare...thick and I wish I ordered a 2nd piece. Lol

So given a choice I would always choose the mdr for their free prime rib over osheehans.

We were on Escape a few weeks ago. They had All you can eat Prime Rib in O'Sheehan's a couple times during the week, and we ate their Prime Rib on Friday Night. Based on food experiences I had all over the ship all week, I wasn't expecting much, but it was delicious. I ordered it Med. rare to make sure it wasn't too tough. It was tender, a decent size piece and only the rim of fat around the outer edge. Although it might not be quite the quality of what you would receive in a steakhouse on land, it was really a good quality piece of meat. It's served with a baked potato, some veggies, and I ordered a great side salad off their menu as well. Wished I had had more days to eat this! They had a Prime Rib night in the buffet also, but we did not try it.

Enjoy the ESCAPE! She is a beauty!

Also last week on the gem the osheehans prime rib night was the last night of the cruise and it was the same night that the mdr offered it

But somehow I doubt I would have gotten the same great prime rib in osheehans as I did in the grand pacific.

Service at osheehans stinks and ship layout tells me they use different kitchens

I could be wrong and possibly osheehans had great prime rib that night too....but the wait staff is so poor in osheehans that I would not trust it to ruin my prime rib night

Btw the magenta and grand pacific wait staff were excellent for 7 of the 8 nights we ate in an mdr.

The 1 bad waiter we had ....well....it was obvious he felt the job was beneath him....

The prime rib I had on the BA in osheehans in 2015 was cold and had no juice

The service we received for a regular meal at the osheehans on the gem last week was laughable

Let's put it this way....savvy cruisers should expect that osheehans is more miss than hit

That said....the prime rib on the gem in the mdr. was incredible....juicy....rare...thick and I wish I ordered a 2nd piece. Lol

So given a choice I would always choose the mdr for their free prime rib over osheehans.

Thank you. I've never been a fan of O'Sheehan's simply due to the service. It seems to take forever for someone to even come to the table to take your order and even more than forever for the food to get there!

Thanks for sharing......

Harriet