Help Me Choose!

skidawg79

So it's been two years since I went on the Valor out of San Juan. I have the itch for another cruise. I would like to do a western cruise that includes Belize and Roatan Island in late may or early June. Here are two that I was looking at:

Carnival Magic: Cozumel, Belize, Roatan Island and Costa Maya

Carnival Glory: Cozumel, Belize, Roatan Island and Grand Cayman

Magic is the newer ship correct? Also, the only port I have been to before was Cozumel, so the other 3 would all be new to me. Some thoughts on Costa Maya vs. Grand Cayman? I am pretty easy to please and can usually find something fun to do anywhere. So would love some general feedback! Love this site, and pretty excited about looking at another cruise!

Definitely the Magic, newer, will be in dry dock next month getting upgrades and refurbishment, she is larger and you can't compare the Magic to the Glory, choose Magic....I agree Costa Maya is not as desirable as Grand Cayman, but also consider there are only a few hours in the port compared to the so many hours on the ship, the ship is what is important, all other ports are the same so its an easy decision, the Magic.

Edited by lyndamr

I've never been on the Magic but had a great time on the Glory in September. I would choose the Glory from your list because of the ports. Costa Maya has a huge pool right in the port area but other than that there isn't much to do unless you really like to shop. In Grand Cayman there are some great excursions (both through the ship and privately) and if you don't want to pay for an excursion there are great beaches that are an inexpensive cab ride away. My favorite thing to do is take the public bus to the Caybrew brewery. $2.50 each way for the bus, then $6.00 gets you a tour of the brewery and 5 beers. Whichever cruise you decide on, have a great time.

Tough decision. I prefer Magic for the ship but prefer Grand Caymans to Costa Maya.

What are your interests? Do you go for port activities or fine with a simple beach. I love the Caymans for both shopping and snorkeling. Last trip it was Costa Maya and we did ruins excursion. Next time if there will likely stay on ship.

What about departure ports? Does one work better for you than other? For us we can drive to port canaveral where magic will be moving. Miami we have to fly.

I do like excursions, but I also love beautiful beaches that I can sit and have a few drinks at. My friend that will be going with me, actually mentioned about going to see the Mayan Ruins and that's something that she would love to do.

The ship is a big deal and if the Magic is going into dry dock, that might be the way to go. The ports wont matter, I have to fly to either one as I live in Colorado and my friend lives in Pennsylvania.

Like I said, I can have fun doing anything, so I'm sure that it will be awesome either way. I love the opinions, so keep them coming.

The Magic is definitely the better ship, has the outdoor BBQ on the wraparound deck 5, Seemed more spacious too. I was on the Magic twice recently, and the downside is that it's far from Bush International. A bit closer to Hobby. Either ship departure or return to port can be affected by weather, usually dense fog.

If the difference is Costa Maya vs. Cayman for the itinerary, here's some thoughts:

Costa Maya has a bunch of vendors and a pool right in the port area, I walk right past all that and take a shuttle or a cab to what used to be a sleepy little fishing village named Marahuel. Now it's getting modernized, but the last time there I could still get a beach side 1 hour massage for $25, as well as camerones aioli for $15. As was said, there are also 2 different Mayan ruins nearby.

Cayman is very Americanized and modern, and it does have Sting Ray City and 7 Mile Beach, which is much nicer than the beach at Marahuel. Food prices are very high, and you can find fast food chains if you dont like the local venues.

If you have a few million you want to park, Cayman is the place to do it.

Well if the ship is the big deal the Magic all the way.

She will be getting all of the remaining 2.0 upgrades and should be spruced up nicely. More stuff.

The Chachobbean ruins at Costa Maya are a short half day trip. Cozumel and Belize are all day affairs. Bigger ruins but a full day, mostly travel.

Chachobbean was shaded, easy walk and realtivly uncrowded.