MTD- forcing reservations

Just boarded Grandeur little over an hour ago and they are pushing those who have MTD to make reservations before you board the ship. They have 2 kiosks where they are setting up the reservations and one person at the door as you exit the terminal sending MTD diners to the kiosks. They are very pushy about making reservations.

Just wanted to let everyone know.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We just got off Enchantment and yes they pushed for reservations for us. Actually it was re-reservations as the reservations for 7:30 pm we had booked pre cruise were gone to a large group of 900 I think. We finally got 8:15 pm. It seemed they did not like walk ups as much due to logistics, IMHO. We too, due to our group size of 30, had the same tables each night. To be fair, we were a group of 30 and thus a little of a pain. We were put at a large grouping of rectangular tables in the back, which worked okay. Would have preferred round table of 8 or 10. One grouping we passed by each night had a round table for 8 pushed up to a rectangular table for 6.

To me, very poor for us and that table, to have a conversation with everyone at table, BUT I am sure Royal is trying to seat everyone together and thus there are going to be some issues/challenges. I did feel the cruise tried their best and when, for us, an issue arose, they jumped on it!

Edited by shipshape sam

This is actually not new - it has been set up like this on every cruise we've had since they started MTD. You certainly do not have to make reservations. Sorry you felt like they were pushing you to do so.

From the last time we were on RCI, LOS in Sept., if you choose MTD you had to prepay Tips on final payment. Don't remember having to make online reservations before the cruise.

From the last time we were on RCI, LOS in Sept., if you choose MTD you had to prepay Tips on final payment. Don't remember having to make online reservations before the cruise.

You no longer have to pre pay tips if choosing MTD

We've chosen MTD for our past two cruises because we wanted the freedom to eat when we wanted to eat each night. Isn't that why people choose MTD? We never had a wait time for just the two of us...and never reserved. We just walked up and were seated--at the same table each night:)

Pre-paying gratuities with MTD is not a requirement anymore. But it is an option.

Since you quoted me I will reply, with apologies for not being more clear - I was actually talking about the tables that the MTD team sets up in order to "help" people make reservations. We have seen the tables either on the pier just before boarding, or inside the ship once you board. That was my take from OP's post - that they are suggesting/pushing for reservations. They are certainly not "forcing" - we always say "No, thank you." and it's not been an issue. :)

OK. Here I go again. What is the purpose of MTD if you either have to make reservations or you wait in long lines? Just give me 6pm MDR please...

Exactly my thoughts! MY TIME DINING - no reservations, show up when you feel like it, without a long wait. Have done this on other lines with absolutely no problems and no waits.

We've chosen MTD for our past two cruises because we wanted the freedom to eat when we wanted to eat each night. Isn't that why people choose MTD? We never had a wait time for just the two of us...and never reserved. We just walked up and were seated--at the same table each night:)

Same for us...however we've been seated at different locations in the dining room on our cruise's...and actually enjoyed the changes with different table locations for two and different waitstaff...as long as we can just walk in when we're ready the flexibility is fine with us.

Same for us...however we've been seated at different locations in the dining room on our cruise's...and actually enjoyed the changes with different table locations for two and different waitstaff...as long as we can just walk in when we're ready the flexibility is fine with us.

We feel completely the same way! Gosh we should cruise together one day. :) I don't mind at all being seated in another part of the dining room than last night... different wait staff? Bring it on! Large table with lots of people or table for just our party - I'm flexible.

I mean... it's just dinner. ;):D