Help me pick an Alaska cruise w/group age range 10- 80 yos and limited mobility

carpathia

Hi

I am planning an Alaska cruise to celebrate my parent's 50th wedding anniversary. The ages will range from 10 to 80 yos with one group having never been on a cruise before and not too excited about going. I want this to be a very pleasant experience with the most seen from the ship as a few people in our group will not be able to do land tours due to limited mobility.

Can anyone offer advice on this? I have been looking at the various itineraries and I am overwhelmed. I'm wondering if we should only consider roundtrip cruises as exploring by land is probably not an option. We want a 7 day cruise.

Here is an itinerary from HAL that seems good, but I'm not sure:

Vancouver, B.c., Ca

Scenic Cruising The Insidepassage Cruising Only

Tracy Arm, Alaska, Us Access To Shore Limited To S

Juneau, Alaska, Us

Skagway, Alaska, Us

Glacier Bay Cruising Only

Ketchikan, Alaska, Us

Vancouver, B.c., Ca

One group likes this itinerary from RCI

Vancouver, British Columbia

Inside Passage (cruising)

Ketchikan, Alaska

Icy Strait Point, Alaska

Juneau, Alaska

Skagway, Alaska

Hubbard Glacier (cruising)

Seward, Alaska

And last is this itinerary from Norwegian:

Seward

Cruise Hubbard Glacier

Icy Strait Point

Juneau

Cruise Sawyer Glacier

Skagway

Ketchikan

Cruise Inside Passage Al

Vancouver

Any opinions to help me out?

Find out how much "hassle factor" you may be in for, with flights either to or from Anchorage airport. For some people, that could be the deciding factor, especially if they are multiple connections and/or overnights. (given the ages in your group, I really think this should be a consideration.)

Thank you for the quick responses! Based on the feedback I have found these three cruises. Should we do HAL to see Tracy Arm? Which cruise do you think would most likely have something for everyone on board? Thoughts?

7 Night Inside Passage

Princess Cruises

Crown Princess

Sailing August 6, 2016

To experience the real Alaska, come to where the mountains are taller, the rivers mightier and the wildlife more plentiful than any place else on earth. This is cruising Alaska. A rugged, untamed wilderness where the forests go on forever and the summer days never end. Alaska is a pristine wilderness of ice-blue glaciers, snow-capped mountain peaks and huge whales breaking the surface of crystalline waters.

Day Location Arrival Departure

Saturday, August 6, 2016 Seattle, Washington Check In Starts At 1200p Check -- 04:00 PM

Sunday, August 7, 2016 At Sea -- --

Monday, August 8, 2016 Juneau, Alaska 11:00 AM 10:00 PM

Tuesday, August 9, 2016 Skagway, Alaska 06:00 AM 08:15 PM

Wednesday, August 10, 2016 Glacier Bay National Park, Alaska ( Scenic Cruisin 06:00 AM 03:00 PM

Thursday, August 11, 2016 Ketchikan, Alaska 07:00 AM 01:00 PM

Friday, August 12, 2016 Victoria, B.c. Canada 07:00 PM 11:59 PM

Saturday, August 13, 2016 Seattle, Washington 07:00 AM --

7-day Roundtrip Vancouver

Holland America Line

Holland America Line

Nieuw Amsterdam

Sailing July 30, 2016

To experience the real Alaska, come to where the mountains are taller, the rivers mightier and the wildlife more plentiful than any place else on earth. This is cruising Alaska. A rugged, untamed wilderness where the forests go on forever and the summer days never end. Alaska is a pristine wilderness of ice-blue glaciers, snow-capped mountain peaks and huge whales breaking the surface of crystalline waters.

Saturday, July 30, 2016 Vancouver, B.c., Ca Check In Starts At 1200p -- 05:00 PM

Sunday, July 31, 2016 Scenic Cruising The Insidepassage Cruising Only -- --

Monday, August 1, 2016 Tracy Arm, Alaska, Us Access To Shore Limited To S 10:00 AM 10:30 AM

Monday, August 1, 2016 Juneau, Alaska, Us 01:00 PM 10:00 PM

Tuesday, August 2, 2016 Skagway, Alaska, Us 07:00 AM 09:00 PM

Wednesday, August 3, 2016 Glacier Bay Cruising Only 07:00 AM 04:00 PM

Thursday, August 4, 2016 Ketchikan, Alaska, Us 10:00 AM 06:00 PM

Friday, August 5, 2016 Scenic Cruising The Insidepassage Cruising Only -- --

Saturday, August 6, 2016 Vancouver, B.c., Ca 07:00 AM --

7-day Glacier Bay From Seattle

Norwegian Cruise Line

Norwegian Pearl

Sailing July 31, 2016

Visual Tour: Norwegian Pearl

Sunday, July 31, 2016 Seattle -- 04:00 PM

Monday, August 1, 2016 At Sea -- --

Tuesday, August 2, 2016 Juneau 02:00 PM 10:00 PM

Wednesday, August 3, 2016 Skagway 07:00 AM 08:15 PM

Thursday, August 4, 2016 Cruise Glacier Bay -- --

Friday, August 5, 2016 Ketchikan 06:00 AM 01:30 PM

Saturday, August 6, 2016 Victoria, Bc, Canada 06:00 PM 11:59 PM

Sunday, August 7, 2016 Seattle 08:00 AM --

Thank you for the quick responses! Based on the feedback I have found these three cruises. Should we do HAL to see Tracy Arm? Which cruise do you think would most likely have something for everyone on board? Thoughts?

-

FYI - if you do Holland America with Tracy Arm, you will have to pay for their excursion to see it. Only those who pay for the excursion will go to Tracy Arm. BTW - it is worth paying for. If you are not willing to pay for it, then factor that into your consideration.

7 Night Inside Passage

Princess Cruises

Crown Princess

Sailing August 6, 2016

Saturday, August 6, 2016 Seattle, Washington Check In Starts At 1200p Check -- 04:00 PM

Sunday, August 7, 2016 At Sea -- --

Monday, August 8, 2016 Juneau, Alaska 11:00 AM 10:00 PM

Tuesday, August 9, 2016 Skagway, Alaska 06:00 AM 08:15 PM

Wednesday, August 10, 2016 Glacier Bay National Park, Alaska ( Scenic Cruisin 06:00 AM 03:00 PM

Thursday, August 11, 2016 Ketchikan, Alaska 07:00 AM 01:00 PM

Friday, August 12, 2016 Victoria, B.c. Canada 07:00 PM 11:59 PM

Saturday, August 13, 2016 Seattle, Washington 07:00 AM --

Holland America Line

Holland America Line

Nieuw Amsterdam

Sailing July 30, 2016

Saturday, July 30, 2016 Vancouver, B.c., Ca Check In Starts At 1200p -- 05:00 PM

Monday, August 1, 2016 Tracy Arm, Alaska, Us Access To Shore Limited To S 10:00 AM 10:30 AM

Thursday, August 4, 2016 Ketchikan, Alaska, Us 10:00 AM 06:00 PM

Friday, August 5, 2016 Scenic Cruising The Insidepassage Cruising Only -- --

Saturday, August 6, 2016 Vancouver, B.c., Ca 07:00 AM --

7-day Glacier Bay From Seattle

Norwegian Cruise Line

Norwegian Pearl

Sailing July 31, 2016

Visual Tour: Norwegian Pearl

Sunday, July 31, 2016 Seattle -- 04:00 PM

Monday, August 1, 2016 At Sea -- --

Tuesday, August 2, 2016 Juneau 02:00 PM 10:00 PM

Wednesday, August 3, 2016 Skagway 07:00 AM 08:15 PM

Thursday, August 4, 2016 Cruise Glacier Bay -- --

Friday, August 5, 2016 Ketchikan 06:00 AM 01:30 PM

Saturday, August 6, 2016 Victoria, Bc, Canada 06:00 PM 11:59 PM

Sunday, August 7, 2016 Seattle 08:00 AM --

Based on your group I would go with a R/T itinerary out of Seattle or Vancouver. Don't eliminate Holland America. The Westerdam gets great reviews and you get Sitka and Glacier Bay which many people enjoy.

7 nights departing July 30, 2016 on

Holland America's Westerdam

DAY DATE PORT ARRIVE DEPART

Sat Jul 30 Seattle, WA 4:00pm

Sun Jul 31 At Sea

Mon Aug 1 Juneau, AK 1:00pm 10:00pm

Tue Aug 2 Glacier Bay National Park, AK (Cruising)

Wed Aug 3 Sitka, AK 7:00am 3:30pm

Thu Aug 4 Ketchikan, AK 7:00am 1:00pm

Fri Aug 5 Victoria, BC, Canada 6:00pm 11:59pm

Sat Aug 6 Seattle, WA 7:00am

FYI - if you do Holland America with Tracy Arm, you will have to pay for their excursion to see it. Only those who pay for the excursion will go to Tracy Arm. BTW - it is worth paying for. If you are not willing to pay for it, then factor that into your consideration.

Small boat excursion that you transfer to from the ship (like tendering). Around $200 (give or take) per person. You get taken to Juneau to meet your ship. Hopefully Budget Queen or another Alaska expert will give you more info.

About that sailing from Seattle. The first sea day and the last sea day are open ocean, not a lot of scenic viewing. You will be sailing on the west (ocean) side of Vancouver Island. On itineraries leaving from Vancouver you will be sailing on the east side of Vancouver Island, between the island and the mainland. More scenic.

Small boat excursion that you transfer to from the ship (like tendering). Around $200 (give or take) per person. You get taken to Juneau to meet your ship. Hopefully Budget Queen or another Alaska expert will give you more info.

About that sailing from Seattle. The first sea day and the last sea day are open ocean, not a lot of scenic viewing. You will be sailing on the west (ocean) side of Vancouver Island. On itineraries leaving from Vancouver you will be sailing on the east side of Vancouver Island, between the island and the mainland. More scenic.

Thanks -wasn't sure the cost. Thought it was $200.

Of the 3 options, I'd choose HAL ,RT Vancouver.

Vancouver departures offer more scenic sailing over Seattle .. the ships travel between the BC mainland and Vancouver Island whereas Seattle departures sail on the west side of Vancouver Island so mostly open sea. And for that same reason it will also be a smoother trip if you happen to hit bad weather.

You might find it cheaper to fly into Seattle. In which case the train to Vancouver could be another lovely excursion for your family.

This photojournal is HAL; not your ship or itinerary but there are several photos of the departure from Vancouver and sailing along the coast. There are many trip reports in STICKYs above .... they'll provide helpful ideas on what to see and do in each port.

http://maryandnormtravel.blogspot.ca/2014_09_01_archive.html

Based on one of your mentions about scenic viewing from the ship- "most". Round trip Seattle would be considered the "least" based on current itineraries for most Seattle cruises. There may be a few that do inside Vancouver Island, one way. Round trip would be essential with your priority.

I've done the HAL itinerary round trip Vancouver a few times, including, again last year. It is an excellent itinerary. They have informative programs and a ship naturalist on board, which could also be of interest for those who want the "most" from the ship.

Hi

Vancouver, B.c., Ca

Tracy Arm, Alaska, Us Access To Shore Limited To S

Juneau, Alaska, Us

Skagway, Alaska, Us

Glacier Bay Cruising Only

Ketchikan, Alaska, Us

Vancouver, B.c., Ca

Glacier Bay makes this one the only option that I would consider. :D

Another thing to consider since you have some that are not super excited about going on a cruise, the voyage east of Vancouver Island is said to be smoother than the ones out of Seattle that go to the east.

I have not gone out of Seattle yet so I do not have first hand knowledge. (& weather depends...)

Edited by TheCalicoCat

I don't remember the price, but those memories are priceless! (I almost considered doing this excursion again & my ship next time actually goes into Tracy Arm!)

Edited by TheCalicoCat

Holland America Line

Holland America Line

Nieuw Amsterdam

Sailing July 30, 2016

I like the Vancouver departure w/ Glacier Bay w/ an excursion to Tracy Arm to fill your Glacier needs.

How many days pre-cruise in Vancouver? If you can arrive before Wednesday night... you can be there for the annual fireworks competition!

Hi Everyone,

After much discussion with our group, some people said they wanted to see Anchorage so we decided on a one way cruise. Here is the itinerary and ship we chose. I get the feeling that this ship will meet the needs of the wide age range and we like that they have an assigned dining time so that the older folks won't have to wait for a table like you do in Anytime dining. Any thoughts? We have rooms on hold for a few days.

7 Night Voyage Of The Glaciers

Princess Cruises

Star Princess

Vancouver, B.c. Canada

At Sea

Ketchikan, Alaska

Juneau, Alaska

Skagway, Alaska

Glacier Bay National Park, Alaska ( Scenic Cruising)

College Fjord, Alaska (scenic Cruis Scenic Cruising)

Anchorage (whittier), Alaska

Hi Everyone,

After much discussion with our group, some people said they wanted to see Anchorage so we decided on a one way cruise. Here is the itinerary and ship we chose. I get the feeling that this ship will meet the needs of the wide age range and we like that they have an assigned dining time so that the older folks won't have to wait for a table like you do in Anytime dining. Any thoughts? We have rooms on hold for a few days.

7 Night Voyage Of The Glaciers

Princess Cruises

Star Princess

Vancouver, B.c. Canada

At Sea

Ketchikan, Alaska

Juneau, Alaska

Skagway, Alaska

Glacier Bay National Park, Alaska ( Scenic Cruising)

College Fjord, Alaska (scenic Cruis Scenic Cruising)

Anchorage (whittier), Alaska

IMO - Princess has great both North and South itineraries. They also have a Naturalist onboard. Make sure you confirm your dining time when you book.

IMO - Princess has great both North and South itineraries. They also have a Naturalist onboard. Make sure you confirm your dining time when you book.

Yup, we got the 5:30pm dining time as there was already a waitlist for the 6pm. Unfortunately, we are split up in the boat. Some on the Caribe level and some on Emerald. The rooms were filling up fast!

Since you are now considering a one way cruise on Princess, I would check out their itinery that includes both Hubbard Glacier and Glacier Bay, particularly since you noted that some of the group would stay mostly on the ship. This would give them the best chance to see the glaciers.

I would also look carefully at the flight availability. The flights home from Anchorage can sometimes be very long and often involve flying during the night especially if you live in the southeast. From where we live in North Carolina, our best flight times occur when we fly into Anchorage and out of Vancouver. We like to spend 1 night at least in both Vancouver and Anchorage. This way we arrive in Anchorage in early afternoon to evening and we are not rushed in Vancouver to get from the ship to catch our flight. From other areas of the country a northbound cruise may work best and many people prefer the northbound cruises.

When we go I also insist on having a minimum of 1 to 2 days between arriving in Anchorage and boarding the ship. This allows margin for error due to airline delays. Any additional time you can allow would let you see as much of Alaska as possible.

Since you are now considering a one way cruise on Princess, I would check out their itinery that includes both Hubbard Glacier and Glacier Bay, particularly since you noted that some of the group would stay mostly on the ship. This would give them the best chance to see the glaciers.

If you go reverse as cruising0218 said (fly into Anchorage first), you will hit both Hubbard Glacier and Glacier Bay.

I honestly think both directions are worthy. I like College Fiords as much as Hubbard Glacier. Totally different experience but both good. Most people probably prefer Hubbard Glacier but I think Hubbard Glacier is missed a little bit more than College Fiords. Glacier Bay is never missed so you are guaranteed that.

Edited by Coral

We have cruised several times with a large group and really like having assigned seating for dinner because we all gather once a day and share our experiences. Of course everyone does not have to come every day and can eat in other venues at other times if they desire but we find that all of us look forward to sharing over dinner.

Another thing you may want to consider for those with limited mobility is the rental of a scooter. Each cruise line has a special needs department and they list vendors with whom they work and from whom you can make arrangements to rent a scooter which will be available in the room upon your arrival. The special needs department can also make arrangements for wheelchair assistance on the day you are boarding the ship and on the day you disembark. Just be sure to find out if the stateroom you reserve has adequate doorway opening to ride the scooter into the room. The special needs department can help you with this information. Most cruiselines require that scooters be stored in the room and do not allow parking in the hallway outside your room. They can be parked in areas of the dining room while you are eating.

These scooters can also be riden off the ship when you are in port which is wonderful because the ports in Alaska are very scooter friendly and would allow the less mobile folks to enjoy at least some of the ports if they desire.