Luggage question

miketeri

Would prefer to use the 32 inch luggage rather than 2 26 or 28's but how fussy are they with luggage that exceeds the 62 inch rule. Would it matter if the weight for the luggage was 50 lbs or less for this size?

Secondly, my email ticket purchase suggests 70lb max per luggage peice, yet at the airport I hear the weight limit is 50 lbs. What is reality here?

And in addressing the above 2 questions alone or in conjuction with each other, I have been told any problems that might result in an extra charge (how much??) is decided by the mood of the person checking in the luggage. Does this mean the guy here in the East in a good mood will let my luggage thru and the grumpy guy in San Diego will wack me with extra charge?

Any thoughts or advice....leaving onm the 15th!

M in RI

Would prefer to use the 32 inch luggage rather than 2 26 or 28's but how fussy are they with luggage that exceeds the 62 inch rule. Would it matter if the weight for the luggage was 50 lbs or less for this size?

Secondly, my email ticket purchase suggests 70lb max per luggage peice, yet at the airport I hear the weight limit is 50 lbs. What is reality here?

And in addressing the above 2 questions alone or in conjuction with each other, I have been told any problems that might result in an extra charge (how much??) is decided by the mood of the person checking in the luggage. Does this mean the guy here in the East in a good mood will let my luggage thru and the grumpy guy in San Diego will wack me with extra charge?

Any thoughts or advice....leaving onm the 15th!

M in RI

It probably depends on your airline - but most now have the 50 lb weight limit and they do enforce it as well as the size limit. I have a 30 inch suitcase that is exactly 62 inches when measured all the way around, but I was concerned about taking it so last cruise I took 2 - 26 inch suitcases. Neither was completely full but that left room for souvenirs plus dirty clothes just don't seem to pack as well as clean ones. It was a little akward handling 2 suitcase (both were on wheels) but I managed. The charge for oversized overweight luggage does vary by airline. Just go to your airline's website and check on luggage -it will tell sizes and costs for over the size and weight.

In my recent experience (not as much as my pre baby experience but several trips to Vegas in the recent past) they are picky, picky, picky. The poor woman in front of me had a major problem when the SW agent pulled out the tape measure!

For my cruise/stay holiday in December I am flying with 2 airlines/3 aircraft each way. I was unsure of what my allowances were so I phoned the main carrier, Iberia in this case.

5 of the 6 sectors had a two case max of 20kg/44lbs limit each, and the 6th sector had a two case max of 32kg/70lbs limit each.

The dimension was the standard 62" combined depth x width x length. (My case amounts to exactly 62").

After phoning them they have confirmed that I have the 32kg/70lbs for all 6 sectors.

I would definately recommend that you phone your airline as their websites are not always consise and sometimes they have exceptions on various routes..such as the one sector on my trip.

I wouldn't just call - I would get in writing because the person checking you in may not know about what you were told over the phone.

I had Iberia email confirmation while I was still on the phone to them, I also checked the other airline I am using too and they had received email confirmation from Iberia too.

They've become VERY tight on the luggage weight (maybe it's because the passengers are getting so much larger:o )................our friends flying home to Edmonton had to pay $80. for one overweight suitcase. They frantically tried to r epack things but still had the one case overweight................NOT a lot overweight.

Even International flights are cutting back to 50 lbs. from 70.......as has been said, make sure! It gets expensive.

Take an extra duffel bag inside your suitcase to accommodate things you buy even it you don't plan to buy things!:)

T ammend my original post I am flying on Southwest Airlines where I get mixed answers to these question as described in my original post.

While I can appreciate the weight factor with luggage, I am not sure what the big deal is on luggage exceeding 62 inches other than weight. Was told in my online reservation each peice of luggage cannot weigh more than 70 lbs, in person the airport workers suggested 50 lbs, so between size restriction and weight I am not able to get a straight answer.

Manuerving one large piece of luggage is much easier than 2 almost as big pieces. Frankly, this crap sucks!

M in RI:mad:

Here are your answers:

http://www.southwest.com/travel_center/baggage.html

I've seen people trying to rearrange their clothing from one suitcase to another while checking in. They do enforce the rules, whether we like it or not.

Perhaps you could cut back on clothing and shoes, use the onboard laundry service and don't pack your heavier toiletry articles in your suitcase. I always carry our toiletries in the carry on.

United actually weighed our luggage as we checked in at the airport in Honolulu last week. She said if we were over she would let us move stuff around. I used 2 28's. Fortunately they were under 50 lbs. It also might be easier to store the 26 and/or 28" than the 32 inch one.

Most of the airlines have recently implemented new regulations on luggage. It is a good idea to either visit their web page or call to check. Currently regulations can be confusing as there are often grandfather clauses.

It can really get confusing.

example - On United there is a Domestic weight limit of 50 Lbs

If you are flying Internationlly -if you purchased your ticket before September 7th Domestically you can have two bags per passanger up to 70 lbs, otherwise you are limited to 2 bags at 50 lbs, unless of course if you are flying First or Business then you get maximum of 2 bags up to 70 lbs. If you are a Upper level premium member of Mileage Plus you can have 3 pieces up to 70 Lbs.

Having said that our Transatlantic posed interesting packing as going to Europe we could have up to 3 pieces up to 70 Lbs each but coming home from New York we were limited to two cases each at 50 lbs.

Now again there are also all kinds of limits withing europe etc.

http://www.united.com/page/article/0,6722,51146,00.html#Domestic%20travel%20baggage%20information

To lessen weight in my big bags, I put all of our shoes in a small rollie and check it on as well...............(hope THAT one doesn't get lost!)...........got that idea after our first cruise and it helps a lot.:)

Our large bags are 30" and measure the max of 62" combined l x w x d. Since they are rollies, they start off weighing a bit more than without wheels, but we usually stay just below the 50#. If we need to, we have a small jet pack that we use (checked) for shoes, masks & snorkel, etc to reduce the weight. We always have a carry-on each for toiletries, cameras, jewelry, meds and a couple of changes of clothes (just in case). I wouldn't use a 32" unless the combined measurement is 62" or less. Have a great trip!

Believe me, Southwest will charge you if you take that big bag. They've gotten so bad that recently they tried to take away my sister's carry on that unzips to expand the height of the bag by one inch. They said with it expanded, it violated their size for carry ons. She just opened the bag and zipped it shut to reduce the height of the bag. Even Southwest had gotten picky with luggage, all because of the increase in jet fuel.

We have had to switch stuff from one bag to another to readjust the weight in our bags when we are at the airport. This is not a big deal unless there is a long line of people behind you!

Now we weigh our cases before we leave home and re-adjust. They do check - at least here in the Midwest. (AA and NW)

I distribute clothes and shoes between the two cases that seems to help and also if one gets lost I have the other case.;) I also have room for things I buy when I take two cases.

I agree that it would be so much simpler to take the one big case, but it is heavy for anyone handling it including me!

Judi

On my last flight (with Continental) they were very picky about size. This was the first time they were weighing AND measuring the bags. They pulled out a tape measure and measured each bag. When I was waiting in line they pulled the luggage of 2 different passengers. One paid the money, the other was frantically phoning a friend to bring them a different piece of luggage. I wonder if it also depends on the airport/ticket agent. This occurred in Toronto. I fly Continental several times a year and this was the first time that I saw this occur.

:confused: My sister and I recently discussed this ridiculous practice. What difference does it make if one bag is 55 lbs and the other is 45 lbs? Your luggage is still within the limits. What they should really do is take into consideration the weight of the passengers and their luggage.

I will be in big trouble trying to whittle my luggage down to 50 lbs, as I am usually close to the 70lb mark on at least one of my bags. I will have to pack in advance just so I can get it down to the limit.

:confused: My sister and I recently discussed this ridiculous practice. What difference does it make if one bag is 55 lbs and the other is 45 lbs? Your luggage is still within the limits. What they should really do is take into consideration the weight of the passengers and their luggage.

I will be in big trouble trying to whittle my luggage down to 50 lbs, as I am usually close to the 70lb mark on at least one of my bags. I will have to pack in advance just so I can get it down to the limit.

It is for the safety of the people lifting your luggage. They lift 50lb bags all day long and are prone to injury as it is. When you pile more weight into one bag you are increasing the likliehood of back injury. If you have evern had a back injury you would not wish it on your worst enemy.

What in the world are you packing to get your suitcase close to 70 lbs.? And...how can you lift these bags yourself? I have a hard time lifting 50 lb. bags and I do a lot of lifting at work, we are not allowed to lift over 40 lbs. there.

Last year, I had to pack 4 of us to cruise Alaska, with pre and post days. I managed to pack everything into 3 suitcases and 2 garment bags, all under 50 lbs. each.

I guess you will have to go back to the packing list and re-think what you are packing. You really can do without a dozen pair of shoes and extra "stuff" that adds weight.

Am I one of the few who don't think it is unreasonable to pack lighter and save these peoples backs, legs and arms from injury? Not only that, but watch how they throw around luggage, do you think they are kinder to the heavier bags? I would think not, I would think the heaviest bags go on the bottom of the pile, with a greater chance of damage to the bag and its contents.

Travel light and be happier for it.

I do not pack a dozen pair of shoes. I pack one daytime outfit and one nighttime outfit for each day of the cruise. I always wear everything I take. I am not the sort to just throw on jeans or shorts and a t. I like to wear nice coordinating outfits, and I never wear the same top twice.

I pack 2 pair of shoes for night and 2 for days and I am wearing one pair when I board. I think my suitcases are part of the problem. They are pretty heavy empty, but I don't want to replace with light weight cheap luggage. Oh well, I will just have to pack and weigh as I go.

Also,I believe they have reduced the weight limits due to fuel costs, not out of concern for their employees.

Mary

:confused: What difference does it make if one bag is 55 lbs and the other is 45 lbs? Your luggage is still within the limits.

Because a 55 lb bag is harder to lift than a 50 lb bag - more chance of injuries the heavier it is. Yes, your total is only 100 lbs, but that 55 lb bag is still more likely to cause injuries, no matter how light your other bags. Also, the lighter weight the bags, the more evenly they can distribute the weight, which has been a concern in recent airplane crashes.

If you're concerned about weight, pack the day before, and take it to a place like the post office with a scale. Then you can adjust your bags

accordingly before you get to the airport.

If you are going to be traveling a lot in the future, it may be worth your money to invest in good lightweight luggage so you can pack as much as you need. Lightweight does not necessarily mean cheap or easy to destroy.

As to the poster who asks how you can put so much in a 70lb bag, believe me I have done it in the past. I used to fly with 2 - 70lb bags because I had to carry everything, including bedding, for over 6 weeks. And yes, I could carry them myself. This was over 10 years ago, but even back then if I was over the limit they would make me shift items from one bag to the other. It happened one time when one bag was 69lbs and the other bag was 71lbs.

Archived