Anyone sailed the Kapitan Khlebnikov-OLD?

dmarch@islc.net

My daughter sailed the ship on a trip to the arctic. Quark Expeditions used to have excursions on it. The ship was basic but I remember her telling me that the food was excellent especially the Caviar....

If you want any further information let me know on this site and I will ask her to post.

I think I read a post here recently that Celebrity had quietly dropped this one.

Phil

Right you are Phil ! I am 99.9999% sure she is no longer a part of the fleet. Xpedition is still around though.

She sails under the X flag in January (6th I think) 2006. Just found one sail date for her.

Where did you find the itinerary for this ship? I couldn't locate it on the Celebrity web site. I would make for some interesting sailing! :p

I found this press release on the Quark Expeditions web site--here is the first part of it. It looks like this ship is still sailing for Quark

A History Making Attempt

QUARK EXPEDITIONS ATTEMPTS TO BREAK ROALD AMUNDSEN’S 1911 VESSEL RECORD IN THE ANTARCTIC

Journey will take place from January 20 to February 14 in 2006

DARIEN, Conn. (April 14, 2005) – A rare opportunity to participate in an historic event will occur in January 2006. Quark Expeditions will attempt to break Roald Amundsen’s near century-old record, hoping to attain the most southerly position ever reached by ship. Adventurous travelers can join the 26-day expedition that will pay homage to great Antarctic explorers. This unparalleled opportunity to explore one of the most remote corners of the world will be aboard the Russian icebreaker Kapitan Khlebnikov. The breathtaking journey across the Southern Ocean, will take place from January 20 to February 14, 2006, and is priced from $13,995. This will be Quark Expedition’s only 2006 visit to the open waters closest to the South Pole.

About a month ago, I noticed that ship listed on Celebrity's site under ship profiles, including some deck plans. I could find no itineraries, so I phoned Celebrity and the reservation agent had never heard of the Kapitan Khlebnikov.

When I told him it was listed on their website, he placed me on hold for about 5 minutes. He then came back on and said that Celebrity had acted as agents for Quark Expeditions for a few cruises in 2004, but had since discontinued doing so.

Too bad...I thought perhaps Celebrity was expanding its expedition division!

Char

Looks like they have moved X's sailing to Feb. Check you aol-email, I sent you a link.

Hey dmarch :D

Thanks. Very interesting! There is no mention at all on the Celebrity web site. I wonder how they are marketing it? Of course, they won't give you a quote online--have to give them all your pertinant info for them to get back to you. I emailed Celebrity--we'll see if there is a reply or if they just ignore this subject.:p

Hey dmarch :D

Thanks. Very interesting! There is no mention at all on the Celebrity web site. I wonder how they are marketing it? Of course, they won't give you a quote online--have to give them all your pertinant info for them to get back to you. I emailed Celebrity--we'll see if there is a reply or if they just ignore this subject.:p

Got my reply from Celebrity this morning....for what it's worth! :confused:

Thank you for your email. We appreciate the opportunity to respond.

Celebrity Xpeditions information may be obtained at

1-866-973-8466 (866 - XPDTION)

Monday to Friday

9 a.m. to 8 p.m. Eastern Standard Time

http://www.celebrityxpeditions.com

Thank you for choosing Celebrity Cruises.

Margarita Velasquez

Customer Service Representative

The ship is still in use. I just got a flyer from a company that does photographic expeditions and they are advertising a trip to see emperor penguins in Antarctica on the Kapitan Khlebnikov.

The big question here is, does Celebrity have anything to do with any itineraries on this ship? It's listed as a Quark Expidition vessel.

Archived