Summit Gym

Kathleem27

Hi there -

I'm cruising on the Summit Feb 13th, 2016. When I sailed on the Reflection in March 2014, I loved the gym, particularly the Flywheel spin classes. I know the Summit is an older ship - is the gym dated as well? Do they offer daily classes such as spin and trx?

Thanks!

Kathleen[YOUTUBE][/YOUTUBE]

For those of us cruising after March 10th or so, the gym may be getting an update during the refurbishment in late Feb./early March. Check for pictures after that if you're cruising after that time period.

Sure hope it's as nice as the Solstice's gym is. I've not found another gym as good as that one since.

Two simple questions from a newbie to Celebrity:

Do they have treadmills in the gym?

Is the gym ncluded with the cruise or an extra? Cost?

We sail Summit next month. Every other ship we've sailed has had treadmills and the gym is free, but there may be a cost for classes.

Two simple questions from a newbie to Celebrity:

Do they have treadmills in the gym?

Is the gym ncluded with the cruise or an extra? Cost?

Yes, they have treadmills in the gym. Last time I was on an M-class the treadmills were at the front of the gym which you'd think would give a great view, however the horizontal blinds when pulled up to afford a view forward block the view of the person on the treadmill. Found the treadmill placement on the S-class much better that way.

The gym is free for everyone. Some classes are an extra cost.

Yes, they have treadmills in the gym. Last time I was on an M-class the treadmills were at the front of the gym which you'd think would give a great view, however the horizontal blinds when pulled up to afford a view forward block the view of the person on the treadmill. Found the treadmill placement on the S-class much better that way.

The gym is free for everyone. Some classes are an extra cost.

Thanks. That's perfect. :)

We used the gym several times this past December. It was never crowded. You can visit on the first day and sign up for the fee-based classes.

There's a fair variety of equipment, but, of course, on a smaller scale than our local YMCA.

We had a good view from the treadmills since the windows were unobstructed.

Hi there -

I'm cruising on the Summit Feb 13th, 2016. When I sailed on the Reflection in March 2014, I loved the gym, particularly the Flywheel spin classes. I know the Summit is an older ship - is the gym dated as well? Do they offer daily classes such as spin and trx?

Thanks!

Kathleen

Hi I am unable to speak for the classes but I thought the gym was adequate and worked for me. While the gym is smaller than the reflection, it has much of the same equipment and I was able to manage my workout routine. I tend to be more free weights, but was able to accomplish my daily exercise goals.

Following this (on the same cruise!) as I plan to work out and run on the treadmill too. Going to do a web search for photos also, I'll post if I find any recent ones

Yes they have great treadmills and elliptical machines. They are all equipped with the feature of choosing some sort of video workout. Also to my surprise was a stationary rowing machine. That was a welcomed thing to see. Again, the free weight area is tight.

• 2 months later...
I can see from the pictures that there's plenty of elipticals, treadmills and benches for free weights but are there weight machines? Like the lat pull, sit up machine, stuff like that?

Yes, there were weight machines on the Summit.

I agree with previous poster that blinds were distracting in front of treadmills.

Does anyone know about the spin bikes? Do they have the SPD clip petals? Going on the Summit in a week. Thanks.

Yes, the pedals have two sides. One side has the clips, the other straps.

I've seen two kinds of spin class cycles. The older type are the LeMond brand. These are friction resistance cycles. They're fine as long as you find one that has a range of resistance as opposed to all on or all off.

It appears that the yellow LeMond cycles are being replaced by LifeCycles. These are also friction resistance types. Was on Constellation in March and was told when the ship went into refurbishment the new LifeCycle bikes showed up. I rode several different bikes on that cruise and all of them had uniform adjustments to resistance probably because they are new.

That cruise was the first time I brought my clip on cycling shoes. Weight is always a packing factor but we packed light for this cruise and the cycling shoes got packed. I usually use a good pair of running shoes for weight purposes however, if you do this, make sure the shoe you bring has very good lateral and heel support built into it. The very light weight sports shoes are problematic when you are standing and pedaling against a lot of resistance.

Make sure you go to the gym on the first day, right after you board, and if available, sign up for all the spinning classes at once (we had one recent cruise where the sign up sheet didn't get put out until the day before - it's up to the fitness instructor running the show). Typically, lots of people sign up but don't show up for the class but it's better to get your name on the sheet.

Also, you'll get a lot hotter cycling in the fitness center than you are probably used to in your fitness center at home. The bikes will be arranged on the floor for you. Pick a bike that is not directly under one of the overhead lights. Bring a water bottle you can refill and use this during your work-out.

Yes, the pedals have two sides. One side has the clips, the other straps.

I've seen two kinds of spin class cycles. The older type are the LeMond brand. These are friction resistance cycles. They're fine as long as you find one that has a range of resistance as opposed to all on or all off.

It appears that the yellow LeMond cycles are being replaced by LifeCycles. These are also friction resistance types. Was on Constellation in March and was told when the ship went into refurbishment the new LifeCycle bikes showed up. I rode several different bikes on that cruise and all of them had uniform adjustments to resistance probably because they are new.

That cruise was the first time I brought my clip on cycling shoes. Weight is always a packing factor but we packed light for this cruise and the cycling shoes got packed. I usually use a good pair of running shoes for weight purposes however, if you do this, make sure the shoe you bring has very good lateral and heel support built into it. The very light weight sports shoes are problematic when you are standing and pedaling against a lot of resistance.

Make sure you go to the gym on the first day, right after you board, and if available, sign up for all the spinning classes at once (we had one recent cruise where the sign up sheet didn't get put out until the day before - it's up to the fitness instructor running the show). Typically, lots of people sign up but don't show up for the class but it's better to get your name on the sheet.

Also, you'll get a lot hotter cycling in the fitness center than you are probably used to in your fitness center at home. The bikes will be arranged on the floor for you. Pick a bike that is not directly under one of the overhead lights. Bring a water bottle you can refill and use this during your work-out.

Wow. you are wonderful! Thank you so much for your detailed reply. Last year, i was on the Equinox and you only had the option to sign up the day before. I will definitely check it out on the first day. Do you know if you could use the bikes otherwise, without a class, anytime?