Another Gala Night Question

lvz2cruz

After reading the thread about whether an outfit is acceptable for Gala Night, I have a question for you all. Not a football fan and bored tonight.

We cruised on Eurodam last week. DH and son both wore suits both formal nights and were definitely in the minority. We do the As You Wish on the lower deck.

Reading several posts on the other thread of a majority wearing suits or tuxes, which was not our experience at all, I wonder if more traditional cruisers do fixed seating and they are the ones dressing up upstairs?

Maybe more casual cruisers do as you wish and do not dress up downstairs?

What are your experiences?

Just curious!

After reading the thread about whether an outfit is acceptable for Gala Night, I have a question for you all. Not a football fan and bored tonight.

We cruised on Eurodam last week. DH and son both wore suits both formal nights and were definitely in the minority. We do the As You Wish on the lower deck.

Reading several posts on the other thread of a majority wearing suits or tuxes, which was not our experience at all, I wonder if more traditional cruisers do fixed seating and they are the ones dressing up upstairs?

Maybe more casual cruisers do as you wish and do not dress up downstairs?

What are your experiences?

Just curious!

(bold is mine) You might be right. We do early fixed. Last fall I was curious about the change to "gala," so I made a point of excusing myself during dinner so that I could walk through the dining room and see how people were dressed. I counted no more than 5 men without jackets. From what I could see, most also wore ties. I did see more causally dressed people around the ship that night. More so on the first formal night than the second.

I do open all the time. This is where I saw so many people dressed up. My cruise was in October. It's entirely possible that the word of Hal dumbing down the dress suggestions has gotten out. I've said it before, I wish Hal would be smart casual every night. This trying to please everyone is stupid.

As a Fixed Dining person, my observation from November 2015 in the Caribbean is that tuxedo-wearers are an extreme minority now. Suits are also a shrinking number as well. Sports jackets now outnumber suits and formal wear. Collared shirts to include long island-style shirts are now more prevalent.

Since I have no experience with Anytime Dining since the change in HAL policy, I cannot make a comparison.

I think the big difference is the length of the cruise. People dress and act totally different on 7 day cruises compared to 21 day or longer cruises. We once took a 21 day cruise from China to Vancouver. We then stayed on for a 7 day Alaska portion. I couldn't believe the difference in the ambiance on board. On the short cruise, most wanted to experience everything in the short time they had aboard and there was no point in making friends as you would probably never meet them again on board while the longer cruise was much more relaxing.

As a Fixed Dining person, my observation from November 2015 in the Caribbean is that tuxedo-wearers are an extreme minority now. Suits are also a shrinking number as well. Sports jackets now outnumber suits and formal wear. Collared shirts to include long island-style shirts are now more prevalent.

Since I have no experience with Anytime Dining since the change in HAL policy, I cannot make a comparison.

We, too, cruised in the Caribbean in November, 2015. We were in the MDR for late Fixed Dining. I walked through the dining room and saw no more than half a dozen men not wearing jackets. I think it is fair to say that each of us needs to remember to say "From MY observations, passengers are ...."

CC Members can then decide whether to chance it (one way or the other) based on different members' experiences.

From our October cruise with the new Gala nights.

We watched as those going to the upper level of the dining room -- fixed dining -- more were dressed up. Still very, very few tuxedos. But more suites. As people headed to the lower level -- just smart casual wear for the majority of the people.

As for the Pinnacle Grill and Tamarind restaurants -- it was a mixed bag of everything.

On our last two HAL cruises we've done any time dining, Pinnacle and Canaletto. It's been a mixed crowd on Gala nights. Clearly more collared shirts than suits is the migration over the past few cruises.

As a side note, our friends who are coming along on the March cruise just found out about the change to a more casual attire and couldn't be more happy.

Dan

I bolded part of your post as don't know what "Long Island style shirts" are, even though I'm from Long Island...:confused:

My DH is also from Long Island & never heard that expression before..:D

Can you enlighten us please..:)

BTW DH no longer wears his Tux, but does wear a suit on formal/Gala nights, although on our last long cruise he took both his suit & his TUX & wore both...

I'm so confused abt how to handle gala nights. I'm primarily a princess cruiser, a late traditional diner and a formal night fan. I wear long gowns for formal night. On my upcoming westerdam cruise I can't get traditional late because the Gospel Group onboard has been given the entire seating. So I'm relegated to as you wish (which I don't want as a solo traveler). No one really talks about how the ladies dress. And yes I know many mature ladies opt for a skirt or slack with a sparkly top. Is a gown over the top? Is a cocktail dress better? Maybe just a dressy well accessorized maxi?

On our last HA cruise, my husband took a tux and I took long black skirt, and two different sparkly type tops for formal night. We leave this weekend for a HA cruise, and my husband is only taking dress pants and sports jacket and I'm taking one cocktail shorter dress for gala night. It's so much easier packing and on vacation this time we just don't want to go "formal". It sounds like this is the norm.

I'm so confused abt how to handle gala nights. I'm primarily a princess cruiser' date=' a late traditional diner and a formal night fan. I wear long gowns for formal night. On my upcoming westerdam cruise I can't get traditional late because the Gospel Group onboard has been given the entire seating. So I'm relegated to as you wish (which I don't want as a solo traveler). No one really talks about how the ladies dress. And yes I know many mature ladies opt for a skirt or slack with a sparkly top. Is a gown over the top? Is a cocktail dress better? Maybe just a dressy well accessorized maxi?[/quote']

Any of your options would be fine. Sorry, I know that isn't helpful, but there's a wide range of women's options and I've seen them all.

I do recall seeing more of the "sparkly top" separates than gowns, but some women wear gowns. I don't recall a lot of cocktail dresses. I think women who don't want to wear a gown don't want a cocktail dress, either. Long skirt/pants and the sparkly top are easy to pack. I wear a long skirt and beaded tops (proper beads on silk, not glitter on spandex) because they go into the garment bag with DH's suit or jacket.

I think HAL's definitions are based on men's clothing because it's pretty simple. Tux? Suit/Jacket? Neither? And they leave the women to dress to match the men's level.

I know you prefer late dining, but when you board you could ask about getting into early fixed dining. As a solo, you might find an open spot at a large table. At least you'd get that aspect of traditional cruising.

Our group has always dressed very nicely for formal nights...either tux or nice dark suits. However, beginning with our 2/14 cruise on Eurodam, we will only be wearing a sport coat and collared shirt and maybe not even a sport coat. Those things take up half a suit case!

From our October cruise with the new Gala nights.

We watched as those going to the upper level of the dining room -- fixed dining -- more were dressed up. Still very, very few tuxedos. But more suites. As people headed to the lower level -- just smart casual wear for the majority of the people.

As for the Pinnacle Grill and Tamarind restaurants -- it was a mixed bag of everything.

That's very odd. I was on the lower level of that same cruise and people were quite dressed up. I brought things that were less dressy but most would consider quite dressed up. I felt a little underdressed compared to some folks. I actually ate in the MDR. I usually eat earlier, between 6 and 6:30. Was this later at night that you noticed this?

Edited by cruz chic

I do open all the time. This is where I saw so many people dressed up. My cruise was in October. It's entirely possible that the word of Hal dumbing down the dress suggestions has gotten out. I've said it before, I wish Hal would be smart casual every night. This trying to please everyone is stupid.

IMHO, smart casual every night would not please everyone either as there are a good number of people that still wish to dress up on occasion. It is a conundrum that is yet to be sorted out.

Cruisin'Chris--I wear long dresses/gowns and also long black silk skirt with black silk shell and three or four different jackets (most with some kind of "glitter") I don't feel at all out of place on Gala nights and see many women dressed in this same way. My DH wears his tux as he feels it is comfortable and likes to dress up. On our last cruise about half the men had tuxes on and many more had suits. There also were a few that were just in long sleeved shirts.

IMHO, smart casual every night would not please everyone either as there are a good number of people that still wish to dress up on occasion. It is a conundrum that is yet to be sorted out.

Cruisin'Chris--I wear long dresses/gowns and also long black silk skirt with black silk shell and three or four different jackets (most with some kind of "glitter") I don't feel at all out of place on Gala nights and see many women dressed in this same way. My DH wears his tux as he feels it is comfortable and likes to dress up. On our last cruise about half the men had tuxes on and many more had suits. There also were a few that were just in long sleeved shirts.

Was this a longer cruise? We saw very few tuxes on our cruise, but it was only 7 days, so that could account for the difference.

I'm so confused abt how to handle gala nights. I'm primarily a princess cruiser' date=' a late traditional diner and a formal night fan. I wear long gowns for formal night. On my upcoming westerdam cruise I can't get traditional late because the Gospel Group onboard has been given the entire seating. So I'm relegated to as you wish (which I don't want as a solo traveler). No one really talks about how the ladies dress. And yes I know many mature ladies opt for a skirt or slack with a sparkly top. Is a gown over the top? Is a cocktail dress better? Maybe just a dressy well accessorized maxi?[/quote']

IMO any or all of the above is perfect ..

I have several long dresses with prints, which are not actually gowns, that I take on longer cruises.... They are more like the Hawaiian type of floor length dresses (muumuu's) which tie in the back...They were quite popular in the 70's & 80's..

http://www.alohaoutlet.com/Shops/108/en/Search.aspx?CatId=1155&gclid=CICcua7Xs8oCFQEnHwodSUEMRQ

In addition I now take long straight skirts or palazzo pants with a couple of sparkly tops &/or jackets.. Leaving my chiffon's at home..:)

Guess I'm considered as old fashioned in my dress on formal/gala nights..:D

Edited by serendipity1499

You might be surprised about the open dining. As a solo, I always said not having early traditional was a deal breaker for me. I was forced into changing cruises a few years back due to a job change. I really enjoy open and I always pick it now.

More often than not I wear a long black dress with different fancy scarves over it.

I'm so confused abt how to handle gala nights. I'm primarily a princess cruiser' date=' a late traditional diner and a formal night fan. I wear long gowns for formal night. ... No one really talks about how the ladies dress. And yes I know many mature ladies opt for a skirt or slack with a sparkly top. Is a gown over the top? Is a cocktail dress better? Maybe just a dressy well accessorized maxi?[/quote']

Everything you list for Gala night not only meets the letter of the dress code, but also the spirit of it. A long gown is perfect, as is a dressy cocktail dress. Think of the clothes that are advertised as "Holiday wear" before Christmas and New Years.

Ask yourself, do I have the clothes? Do they fit and look nice? Do I enjoy wearing them, and feel good when I do? Do they pack easily enough?

If the answers to these questions are "yes", then go ahead and bring your pretty clothes and look nice. If you have the confidence in yourself to know that you are well dressed, then that is all that matters.

Our group has always dressed very nicely for formal nights...either tux or nice dark suits. However, beginning with our 2/14 cruise on Eurodam, we will only be wearing a sport coat and collared shirt and maybe not even a sport coat. Those things take up half a suit case!

DD and I are on this cruise, as well. We haven't cruised a warm weather itinerary, so we are not certain how to pack for these evenings. I have a couple of,short dresses, black evening slacks, and some sparkle to,accessorize with.