Cuban Cigars?

Janet524

Don't know where to post this, so I'll try here since our NA cruise is coming up quickly. Dear BIL is a cigar nut. He has a birthday soon and I thought I would buy him a Cuban cigar or two while we're in the islands.

Now that the US has "made nice" with Cuba again, are Cuban cigars allowed to be brought back into the US?

According to THIS ARTICLE the ban ended Jan 15.

edit: ANOTHER ARTICLE I found seems to imply that Americans can bring back $100 worth of cigars from a visit to Cuba, but does not say anything about cigars bought outside Cuba.

and THIS ONE says:

But it's still illegal to buy Cuban tobacco or alcohol from third countries or over the Internet. That means your dream of jumping across the border to Canada to pick up Cuban products there and bring them back to the U.S. legally remains a dream.

Edited by catl331

We certainly would not rely on a European newspaper as an authoritative source for US info :). If you are traveling to Cuba under one of the provisions that makes it legal for US Citizens you are now allowed to bring back some Cuban cigars. However, there is still a ban on bringing in Cuban Cigars if purchased in a third country. So technically, if you were to buy cuban cigars in St Maarten or Cozumel you cannot legally import them into the US. Of course you could simply pack them and take your chances (worst case is that CBP would seize the product and probably not bother to fine you for a violation).

But there is another problem which is that a majority of cuban cigars sold in third countries are counterfeit. It is easy to pass-off another decent cigar (such as from the DR) as cuban with some false labeling. So if you do purchase cubans make sure to deal with a very reputable cigar shop...and expect to pay big bucks. A decent Cuban can easily cost over $20 with many of the best going for $50-$100. We live in Puerto Vallarta for part of the year and a few local shops do sell real Cubans. But many more sell Mexican cigars labeled as cubans. So beware my amigo!

Hank

The answer is most definitely no for cruise passengers. The allowance for Cuban alcohol/tobacco only refers to legally exempted persons traveling to Cuba. It does not allow for cruise passengers buying the products in third party places and returning with them to the US.

Also, if you do plan to purchase and smoke them, know ahead of time what you're buying. Don't buy Cohibas with yellow bands. They are most likely fake.

Edited by Aquahound

Straight for the source (US CBP): https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/detail/a_id/36/kw/alcohol%20cuba/session/L3RpbWUvMTQ1MzE1MDc3My9zaWQvVmhpZWpTR20%3D/suggested/1

Purchasing Cuban-origin cigars and/or Cuban-origin rum or other Cuban-origin alcohol over the internet or while in a third country (i.e. not Cuba) remains prohibited.

The Cigar chain store "casa del Habana" does sell authentic Cuban cigars and they average 38usd per cigar:). You can find this chain in a majority of the Caribbean ports.

Kind of reminds me of Diamonds International. They are also in most cruise ports (and only cruise ports) but not sure we would be buying Diamonds from that outfit. The potential profits for "re labeling" Cuban cigars is huge...so one must be very very sure of where they buy. And yes, we do have a store from that chain here in Puerto Vallarta but it is not one of the two stores we normally recommend.

Hank

Edited by Hlitner

I found the folks at the Puerto Vallarta store very helpful.

We live in PV about 2 months a year. If I want a real Cuban....I will head to El Gato Gordo which is located in the southside (Romantic Zone). In Centro we would probably go to La Bodeguita del Media (which is a Cuban restaurant that also sells cigars) which has been around for many years. We would head to most other places about as fast as we would visit our local Diamonds International (have not set foot in that place in the past 10 years).

Hank