Cruise Insurance Cost

mcrcruiser

When we hit 70 our cruise insurance cost rocketed in price . Although we have never sailed with out insurance in the past ,the fact is that it is now 10 -12% of our entire trip cost ;which is no sall matter .

We recently found that the Citi Hilton Honors Reserve credit cards will insure our trip (trip cancellation ,trip delay ,trip interruption & baggage ) up to a trip of $5000 per year .This is only one of it's very valuable perks . It is best to investigate this credit card & it's perks so each person can evaluate the card for their own needs . ;)

There is a $95 per year cost ;but ,the 2 free Hilton hotel weekend stays (spending $2,500 in 4 months ) & the once per year free stay (spending $10,000 minimum ) more than make up for this $95 card fee ,imo:D

To augment the Citi coverage for trip insurance when booking the entire trip with this credit card ,we can buy (at far lower costs ) medical /medical evacuation insurance :D .This then saves us a substantial amount of money per trip .:D

Some of the othercredit card perks are no foreign transaction fees ,free rental car property damage to the rental car outside the USA (inside the USA it takes 2nd position to your own insurance , ie ;)

Always carry medical insurance and if ANYTHING changes about your health (new RX, high blood pressure, etc.) between buying insurance and going on your trip, let the insurance provider know or they can void your insurance. I got a $1000 bill for an hour in the ships medical center and the insurance tried to deny the claim because I had started a blood pressure med. after I bought the insurance. Luckily I made enough noise and they paid it to make me go away.;)

There is a discussion forum on cruise insurance on Cruise Critic. We just insured an $8400 total price cruise for $475. It does not have "cancel anytime" but has more than adequate evacuation, medical and other benefits. Final payment is due in a week or so. There is a 180 lookback period for pre-existing conditions, but we know we don't have any.

There are several internet sites to find out all your options....but see the discussion group for more info.

We try to cover lots of things. While medical is very important, we also want coverage just in case there should be car problems going to the airport and we get delayed...Cruise Care does not cover this.

We found that we can insure our deposit at the time we do the booking. That insures we get prior conditions covered. Then after final payment, we up the value of the policy to cover the entire cost of the cruise. This definitely helps just in case you have to cancel the cruise prior to final payment but already have paid for insurance...at least you only lose a few $$.

We found that we can insure our deposit at the time we do the booking. That insures we get prior conditions covered. Then after final payment, we up the value of the policy to cover the entire cost of the cruise. This definitely helps just in case you have to cancel the cruise prior to final payment but already have paid for insurance...at least you only lose a few $$.

Hi - how do you insure just the cost of your deposit? And with whom? Thanks very much.

Max Bet

Always carry medical insurance and if ANYTHING changes about your health (new RX, high blood pressure, etc.) between buying insurance and going on your trip, let the insurance provider know or they can void your insurance. I got a $1000 bill for an hour in the ships medical center and the insurance tried to deny the claim because I had started a blood pressure med. after I bought the insurance. Luckily I made enough noise and they paid it to make me go away.

There is a 180 lookback period for pre-existing conditions, but we know we don't have any.

Would purchasing insurance with the pre-existing waiver cover a medicine change?

I always buy travel insurance but never insure the total trip cost. We do not have any previously existing medical conditions which would required me to insure the full cost. I just buy a $1000 policy which costs around $120 (we are both over 70). I still get all the luggage, flight delay, medical and evacuation coverage. We always travel 3 days before the cruise so I am not worried about missing the cruise. I'm also not worried about the cruise cost. I'm not rich but if I have a medical emergency, a few thousand dollars would be the least of my worries. My Medical insurance covers me anywhere in the world, but I still like to have the medical coverage with travel insurance and people who can help me locally. Just what I do - not saying it's for everyone.

We try to cover lots of things. While medical is very important, we also want coverage just in case there should be car problems going to the airport and we get delayed...Cruise Care does not cover this.

I'm not sure this would satisfy the requirements for coverage of pre-existing conditions which requires to purchase insurance within 10 days or so of deposit. I would definitely check this with insurer and get answer in writing. Note that airfare is considered a nonrefundable cost and must be included within 2 weeks of purchase. I used to sell cruises and attended several travel insurance seminars. At the beginning of one seminar, the speaker opened with the statement that insurers are looking for ways NOY TO PAY!

I'm not sure this would satisfy the requirements for coverage of pre-existing conditions which requires to purchase insurance within 10 days or so of deposit. I would definitely check this with insurer and get answer in writing. Note that airfare is considered a nonrefundable cost and must be included within 2 weeks of purchase. I used to sell cruises and attended several travel insurance seminars. At the beginning of one seminar, the speaker opened with the statement that insurers are looking for ways NOY TO PAY!

NOT To Pay agree 1000% is true . with the citi credit card all we must do is to buy all related trip cost with our citi credit card & keep the total cost under the $5000 yearly cap .this perk comes with the credit card . :)

Our intentions for future cruises are taking a cruise from a local California port that we can drive to . Thus ,our cost will definitely be under the $5000 cap .Even Princess Hawaii we can wait for after final payment to get the cost under $5000 for a balcony cabin ,since they leave from the LA area .We rent a enterprise car & drop it off near the port & they take us to the ship .We do the same when we get back .;)

The med vac cost would be $80 for that trip & it also includes some medical insurance .It is on insuremytrip.com

Celebrity's CruiseCare insurance does not factor age into the pricing.

We have often warned (on the Cruise Insurance blog) to be very careful when considering what insurance (if any) to purchase. Most cruise line policies focus on cancellation options (which are a very limited liablity) while providing a low level of medical coverage. The Celebrity policy is quite typical in only offering $10,000 of medical coverage. For those on Medicare (which does (with a couple of very rare exceptions) give coverage outside the USA....$10,000 is woefully inadequate.

We ourselves travel outside the USA on both cruises and long land trips...and purchase travel medical insurance with $250,000 coverage which covers all the trips we take for an entire year up to 70 days per trip. This policy is relatively inexpensive (less then $450 a year for coverage for both DW and moi) but is strictly medical and does not include any cancellation insurance. We have long been willing to accept the limited risk of cancellation....but would never consider running the unlimited liability risk of Medical. Consider that the most you can lose without trip cancellation is the cost you paid for the trip. But a major medical emergency could end up costing over $100,000.

Hank

Edited by Hlitner

This was suggested to us by the insurer. Before my Dad passed we had cruises booked and we asked a lot of questions about insurance premium being refunded if the trip was cancelled before final payment. We found that the premium would not be refunded but...we could lower the premium we had to pay until we had to pay additional dollars. The pre existing conditions would be met since we took out the policy within 10 days of deposit on the cruise.

Yes, if we need to fly and book airfare, we up the policy amount at the time of payment. Many times when cruises are booked you cannot make flight arrangements or know the cost. This is an add on expense....so when flight reservations are made and we know the costs, we up the value of the policy.

We have often warned (on the Cruise Insurance blog) to be very careful when considering what insurance (if any) to purchase. Most cruise line policies focus on cancellation options (which are a very limited liablity) while providing a low level of medical coverage. The Celebrity policy is quite typical in only offering $10,000 of medical coverage. For those on Medicare (which does (with a couple of very rare exceptions) give coverage outside the USA....$10,000 is woefully inadequate.

We ourselves travel outside the USA on both cruises and long land trips...and purchase travel medical insurance with $250,000 coverage which covers all the trips we take for an entire year up to 70 days per trip. This policy is relatively inexpensive (less then $450 a year for coverage for both DW and moi) but is strictly medical and does not include any cancellation insurance. We have long been willing to accept the limited risk of cancellation....but would never consider running the unlimited liability risk of Medical. Consider that the most you can lose without trip cancellation is the cost you paid for the trip. But a major medical emergency could end up costing over $100,000.

Hank

For the travel medical insurance if I may ask?

Thank you

Originally Posted by Giorgi-one View Post

Never heard that airfare needed to be added to the insurance policy within 2 weeks of purchasing air. Air is not refundable, but fees can be paid to change to another flight.

We don't even buy our trip insurance until final payment of the cruise (the largest cost of the trip) and get one that includes the pre-existing waiver.

Edited by Iamthesea