Pre/Post Cruise 2 Day Tour - Venice

fabby50

Hello! I just booked one of the Med cruises for next year leaving out of Venice. On line, they had a description of a 2 day pre/post cruise 2 day stay in Venice that says it's available 2016/2017. Because my booking isn't until next year, I can't get pricing, even for this year. I'm just trying to get a feel for how much to budget. Has anyone done this tour and have an approximate price? How was it?

Also, I asked the phone reservation folks if you can reserve pre/post hotels/tours on line and they said yes. However, again, because I'm not booked until 2017, I'm not seeing the tab on my page. They told me I should at least see a tab. Has anyone booked pre/post hotels/tours on line?

Although the folks on the phone were pleasant, they were less than helpful and I was transferred many times. It seems like the reservation people don't see the same screens as customers?

Thanks for any help and happy cruisin'

You can save a lot of money doing it yourself. Do some research on TripAdvisor and the Venice board here. Out TA booked our hotel and transfers in 2012. Turned out to be one of the hotels that HAL used that year. the next year we saved even more booking it ourselves. I can't give you a comparison in cost because we never asked about a HAL pre/post tour. but in 2009, I went to Rome with a friend who wanted to do the HAL 3 day post tour. My TA was able to book us into a more central hotel, book tours and transfers for $700pp less than the HAL package. EM

Venice is easy to do on your own. You might want to look at the online travel packages to get an idea of what you could spend for a two day extension in this highly walkable city. Plus see what you can arrange for transport from airport to city to cruise port.

We had 3 nights in Venice before our cruise last summer - it is a fabulous way to start a cruise. As others have said it is easy to find your own way around Venice.

We took a water taxi from the airport to our hotel. This was a great way to arrive especially as we have 2 children, but it does involve a walk from the airport to the water taxi.

We took a road taxi from our hotel to the ship which is less exciting but very convenient!

I did the HAL 1-night pre-cruise about 5-6 years ago. This included transfer from the airport to the hotel, one overnight, and transfer from the hotel to the pier.

I was given a choice of three different hotels, at three very different rates. The double price (I was with my grandgirl) for the cheapest plan was over $700 US; the most expensive was over $1200! :eek:

Venice is frightfully expensive, even when you do it on your own, but not as expensive as HAL.

Been there, done that, wouldn't do it again. The $999pp is correct. We loved the Hal transfer and the Bonvecchiati hotel but the rest of the deal wasn't very good. As others have said you don't need a guided tour. The package included a gondola ride on the grand canal. Everyone should do one gondola ride but the small back canals are more charming. Others will tell you how to do it cheaper than a Hal transfer but putting your bags outside your room in the morning and finding them in your room when you board the ship is hard to beat.

As others mentioned so much cheaper to do on your own.

Venice is quite contained and you can walk or get the Vaporeto pass (3 day is good value) and then you can get on and off as you wish. Just wander until you get tired then get the vaporeto home. It's part of the fun, getting lost in Venice.

Download Rick Steve's audio tours. They are great.

Get on the Vaporeto, press play for a commentary of the trip. If you get off, pause then start again at the next stop.

LOVE VENICE!!!:D

You can go to the close islands eg Morano (as in the glass) and Burano (lace making) for free with the vaporeto pass. Go to one then the other then back on the same day. Very interesting.

Do yourself a favour and skip the tour.

We have done this both ways. The first time we cruised from Venice, we thought this was the cruise of a lifetime so as novice tourists we did the HAL tour. Had no idea we could do it on our own. The second cruise from Venice we were more experience travelers and did it on our own. We purposely booked the same hotel HAL used on our previous trip. We had a great time on both trips. We saw a lot on both trips. If you are an experienced traveler, do this on your own. If you aren't, maybe it is worth the money to have HAL take care of you.

if you do make plans on your own, watch out for hotels on the Venice Lido or Mestre which is on the mainland. They will be cheaper and may sound like they are in Venice, but are not.

I personally like the "Castello" district of Venice the best because it is more off the beaten track and has a local feel. But for convenience you might want to chose something closer to the main Piazza San Marco, Rialto Bridge or the train station -Stazione Centrale for the best transportation connections.

I also believe there an airport vaporetto stop in the "Ghetto" district which is very quiet where there are historic renovation options for hotels. There are also very interesting options found in the AirB&B or VRBO options, if you really want to do this on your own.

My own splurge is paying an arm and a leg to have gelato and café in the Piazza San Marco ...while the orchestra is playing - $$$ surcharge - totally ridiculous price, but one most feels the ghosts of the centuries who have passed and intrigued their way through this magnificent outdoor living room during those few very pricey moments of schmaltz and nostalgia.

Edited by OlsSalt

Good tip for Venice. Find your way from your hotel to St Mark's then wander through the maze of alleys and streets. Pick a restaurant or window shop. When you are totally lost ask for directions back to St Marks. The people are friendly and glad to point you in the right direction. When you get to St Marks you'll find your way back to your hotel. We never looked at a map.

Good tip for Venice. Find your way from your hotel to St Mark's then wander through the maze of alleys and streets. Pick a restaurant or window shop. When you are totally lost ask for directions back to St Marks. The people are friendly and glad to point you in the right direction. When you get to St Marks you'll find your way back to your hotel. We never looked at a map.

Additionally, looks at the stone walls at a intersection and you will often find carved either San Marco (St Marks Piazza) with an arrow or Stazione (train station) with an arrow, or other leading landmarks depending which side of the Grand Canal you are on. They can be subtle, but they are there. Just look high enough to find them.

http://www.shutterstock.com/s/italy+sign/search.html?page=1&inline=41645899

Edited by OlsSalt