YYZ to MIA in this storm?

dobes3kh

Looking at booking a cruise last minute out of San Juan and I'd be flying down at 6am Sat. morning 23rd from Toronto to Miami and then on to San Juan departing same day. Toronto appears to be completely unaffected by this coming storm and Miami is to receive possible rain. Checked flightaware and apparently the flight out of Toronto is a designated route between Toronto and Miami.

Is this a wise decision to be making?

Thanks!

Looking at booking a cruise last minute out of San Juan and I'd be flying down at 6am Sat. morning 23rd from Toronto to Miami and then on to San Juan departing same day. Toronto appears to be completely unaffected by this coming storm and Miami is to receive possible rain. Checked flightaware and apparently the flight out of Toronto is a designated route between Toronto and Miami.

Well, if you read posts in THIS THREAD, especially post 46 from Zach, you'll see that beyond the weather at your origin and destination points, you have to consider where the aircraft and flight crews may be coming in from. You don't mention what airline or other details, so we have to just give you that general heads up.

Also, what is a "designated route" and what does that have to do with its operational status?

Well, if you read posts in THIS THREAD, especially post 46 from Zach, you'll see that beyond the weather at your origin and destination points, you have to consider where the aircraft and flight crews may be coming in from. You don't mention what airline or other details, so we have to just give you that general heads up.

Also, what is a "designated route" and what does that have to do with its operational status?

It appears that the flight arrives from Miami at 11:45pm the previous night and then flies out again just after 6am. This particular plane seems to fly back and forth from Miami to Toronto on a daily basis. Sorry I don't know the general lingo but I would assume that the flight crew is fairly regular on this back and forth flight? It's AA 2449 if that makes any difference?

Thanks!

It doesn't appear to:

https://www.flightradar24.com/flight/aa2449

The aircraft that operated it today has been to SJO, BDL, DTW, BOS, ORD, PHX, SNA, BNA and DFW in the last few days...

https://www.flightradar24.com/reg/n987an

Oh oh! Thanks fbgd

Is there something I can look up to tell me where it will be prior to Saturday morning? The latest flight I see is from Chicago to JFK arriving 4:01pm on the Friday...day before. Is there a way of finding out where it's going once it lands in JFK that day?

Thanks!

Oh oh! Thanks fbgd

Is there something I can look up to tell me where it will be prior to Saturday morning? The latest flight I see is from Chicago to JFK arriving 4:01pm on the Friday...day before. Is there a way of finding out where it's going once it lands in JFK that day?

Thanks!

The scheduled aircraft is usually listed the day before so check the first link I sent tomorrow. You can click on the aircraft registration and it will show you the upcoming flights for that aircraft.

Edited by fbgd

The scheduled aircraft is usually listed the day before so check the first link I sent tomorrow. You can click on the aircraft registration and it will show you the upcoming flights for that aircraft.

Thanks fbgd.

I wish there was a way to find out now where it will be located tomorrow night. I have been on some of the airline websites and the flights that don't travel through the proposed storm path are filling up!!!

I'd be flying down at 6am Sat. morning 23rd from Toronto to Miami and then on to San Juan departing same day.

Flying in the same day as cruise departure is always a risk, and with each connecting flight comes additional risk. Should you do it or not? That depends on your own personal comfort level and level of risk tolerance, how much you'd lose if you missed the ship, how important the trip is, and whether you have an alternate or back-up plan. Good luck!

Flying in the same day as cruise departure is always a risk, and with each connecting flight comes additional risk. Should you do it or not? That depends on your own personal comfort level and level of risk tolerance, how much you'd lose if you missed the ship, how important the trip is, and whether you have an alternate or back-up plan. Good luck!

I totally agree. I have always flown in before the day of the cruise with the exception of one! but this is a last minute decision. I definitely don't like risk and so I'm really contemplating whether or not to do this cruise. I still have it on hold and I know I'm going to have to make a final decision in a matter of hours. There is a flight from Miami to San Juan an hour and a half later than the one I'd be scheduled on so that's sort of my back-up plan. :o I'm really hoping the storm path continues as predicted and Toronto to Miami is not impacted weather-wise or re-routing.

I'm watching the news and looking at the airline prices going up, up up!!!!

It appears that the flight arrives from Miami at 11:45pm the previous night and then flies out again just after 6am. This particular plane seems to fly back and forth from Miami to Toronto on a daily basis. Sorry I don't know the general lingo but I would assume that the flight crew is fairly regular on this back and forth flight? It's AA 2449 if that makes any difference?

Thanks!

Not sure what a fairly regular flight crew means. The flight may go back and forth but that does not mean that the crew does. Crew assignments are based on a variety of factors including each crew member's preferences when they bid their schedules.

503cz4.jpg

Thanks fbgd!

I was looking at this earlier this morning as per your advice from yesterday and it looks as though there really wouldn't be any issue for the flight departing Toronto Sat. morning. The only potential issue I could see is in Florida out of Miami as they are indicating thunderstorms and possible tornado activity. But that's the last flight out before mine so fingers crossed!!!

I was surprised to see the one from JFK to Las Vegas this morning was out.....half an hour late but still out. Guess it made it ahead of some of the cancellations!

The planned routing of a specific aircraft is useful info but cannot be absolutely relied upon. It's even more true during major disruptions. Planes are redeployed as other planes are grounded, re-routed, diverted, and delayed.

Another FYI, neither specific planes or crew members ply certain routes or cities on a "back and forth" basis. It can be weeks or even months since the last time a plane or crew member landed in a city.

The planned routing of a specific aircraft is useful info but cannot be absolutely relied upon. It's even more true during major disruptions. Planes are redeployed as other planes are grounded, re-routed, diverted, and delayed.

Another FYI, neither specific planes or crew members ply certain routes or cities on a "back and forth" basis. It can be weeks or even months since the last time a plane or crew member landed in a city.

I agree aircraft and crew move all over the place.

I would never depend on the pre-planned aircraft route in any decision making. Especially at an airline hub. If there is a delay on a not route and aircraft comes in early to a hub they will easily realllocate it.