Okay, who can give me a simple explanation of Uber?

Bruin Steve

I am an old guy...So, it takes me a little while to adapt to some new things...

And, frankly, I don't use a lot of taxis...mostly only when I travel and, most often, in foreign cities...

So, believe it or not, I have never tried Uber...yet...

When I go to the airport, I generally take a shuttle...for various reasons, from my end of town, that means RoadRunner...RR charges $124 for the round trip Calabasas to LAX, LAX to Calabasas...Add a 15% tip for the driver and it's $143...

It's a lot for the 30 mile each way trip to the airport in a shared shuttle...In the past, I've also used limos or towncars...and that's even quite a bit pricier...

So, maybe it's a good time to try Uber for my next cruise (March) now that, if I've heard right, they have permission to enter LAX...

I found some site that says its an "uber estimator" and this said the trip, one-way, my home in Calabasas to LAX should be $37-49 for "uberx", $64-84 for "uberxl", $94-123 for "uberselect", $127-168 for "uberblack", $158-207 for "uberSUV", and $186-242 for "uberlux"...plus a couple more that likely, I guess, don't really apply--"WAV" and "uberassist"...

That's a heck of a lot of choices...I'm guessing the differences are in what type of car and what size of car shows up? UberX is clearly the cheapest...I take it that's just a guy in a very ordinary small car--like having a buddy drive you to the airport? And Uber XL is just a bigger model car? And wahat are "Select", "Black", and "lux"? I guess SUV is self explanatory??

I'm not a snob, so I don't care what kind of car it is--so long as it's clean and reliable...Should uberx work for me...assuming it's just my wife and I with a suitcase each and a couple small carry-ons?

Then, from what I gather, you don't make a reservation, you just call for the car via the cell phone app a short time before you are ready to go? How long?

From what I gather, the rates are not flat rates, rather a base plus mileage (or is it time?) thing--similar to a taxi meter, correct? So, if we hit traffic, does my charge mount quickly? (Remember, this is LA--on that drive from Calabasas to LAX, almost anything can happen--could I end up with a cost exceeding my old shuttle?).

Fare is charged directly to your registered credit card, no tip added or required, correct? How do you verify the proper charge has been placed on your card?

And, for the return ride, I merely log in from the luggage carousel as I retrieve my bags, correct? How will I know how to identify my ride at the crowded airport curb?

Is this all dependable? I've got a 10:40 pm flight out on a Friday and probably need to be at LAX around 8:40...so, with normal traffic, to be certain, I'd have to have a car here to pick me up at around 7:45 give or take a few...If we get to, say 8:00 and no car is in sight, it will likely be too late to arrange a timely shared shuttle...and other options will be far costlier...So, I've got to make sure this is fool-proof...

Anything else I should know?

Thanks...

UberX: The least expensive Uber service. Seats 4 riders. Drivers use everyday cars that are 2000 or newer

UberXL: Seats at least 6 passengers. An UberXL car will be an SUV or a Minivan. Higher fare price than UberX

UberSelect: A luxury sedan that seats up to 4 riders. Expect a BMW, Mercededs, Audi, etc with a leather interior. Formerly known at UberPlus in some markets.

UberPOOL: Share your ride with another person and split the cost. Only available in LA, SF, NYC, and Paris. Read more.

UberBLACK (Black Car): Uber’s ‘executive’ luxury service. Commercially registered and insured livery vehicles, typically a black SUV or luxury sedan. Highest fare price

There are two things we don't understand about Uber. The first is how we contact them, since neither of us has a Smartphone or plans to get one. The other is reliability. Taxi drivers are at least regulated by their locality. How do we know that our Uber driver (if there's any way of using Uber without a Smartphone) is a safe driver in a safe vehicle?

I've found Uber reliable in every city I've used it in and it is all I use in San Francisco anymore.

It is cheaper than cabs and infinitely more pleasant.

For Joan&Joe, if you are never getting a Smartphone then there are no worries about Uber since that is the only way it works.

So, one question has not been answered. How do you know the person picking you up is not a wacko nut job who was just released from a county jail? Are the drivers licensed or vetted in any way?

So can someone explain lyft--is it the same as uber?

Riders rate the drivers after the ride. If a driver gets a bunch of low ratings, they can be let go by Uber. Similarly, drivers also rate the riders. If a rider gets too many low ratings, they might have a hard time finding a ride! You can actually see your rating in the app.

I would take Uber over a taxi any day! I have only had two drivers I didn't care for. With a taxi that is more like 90%.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

one thing to watch out for.... there was a lot of upset Uber customers on New Year's Eve when "surge pricing" was effective. Many found their ride home was over $1000 and could have taken a plane ride halfway around the world at that price.

http://mashable.com/2016/01/02/uber-riders-new-years-eve/

http://www.businessinsider.com/uber-surge-pricing-on-new-years-eve-2015-10

http://www.cnet.com/news/detest-ubers-surge-pricing-some-drivers-dont-like-it-either/

I understand you need the app to use this- weird question I have is do you actually need to show them your phone/have something scanned/etc? Or just it just bill the account of whoever requested the ride on the app. My wife and I are doing a Princess Wine Coastal Cruise this fall and wind up in LA. Our current plan is to find a hotel near the airport, go off and do touristy stuff, then have an early flight home Sunday morning. My in-laws are now going on this cruise too, and are coming home the same day. They have "dumb phones". Could my wife and I request a ride from San Pedro to LAX, get them in the car and send them on their way to the airport, and have it billed to one of our app accounts; then request a ride on the app on the other ones phone to whatever hotel we're staying at?

We live in a semi-rural/suburbanish area, don't think we have this around here; we're just used to hauling ourselves where ever we go, and haven't traveled anywhere major since this became an option.

Hi

You cannot use Uber if you do not have a smart phone.

I am one of the dinosaurs in that group myself.

Your credit card is registered on their app which is on the phone. When you call them you can see where the car is while it is on its way to pick you up and it tells you the price of the journey. You just check your credit card statement on line to make sure it was put in correctly.

Many airports do NOT allow Uber to pick up right at the airport so you'll have to find out where to go to meet the driver.

My 40something children use it all the time!

So I have another question. What is you want to go a very short distance. My rental car pick up is about 1-1/2 miles from the port to pick up. Is this something that is done and how would I go about getting a quote since when I go to the site it always pin points where I am and not where I want to go to/from.

So, one question has not been answered. How do you know the person picking you up is not a wacko nut job who was just released from a county jail? Are the drivers licensed or vetted in any way?

So can someone explain lyft--is it the same as uber?

Lyft and Wingz are roughly the same thing as Uber.

As to Uber drivers, they undergo criminal and DMV background checks. The biggest check on Uber drivers is the passenger rating, which is something taxi cabs don't have.

Okay, so I was at Best Buy today and was talking to the Geek Squad guy who said he was an Uber driver so I decided to pick his brain. I asked about short distances like under 2 miles. No problem. There is a minimum fee that is probably around $4. I can't give you a receipt because it is all on your phone. I don't take money. Sure, short halls are possible... like if you want to go to the McDonald's from here. Drivers have no personal info.

I guess I will sign up, give my credit card and decide if I want to use them. They may come in handy in Santa Barbara as well since we have around 2 miles to the zoo.

I will let everyone know how it works out.

Okay, so I was at Best Buy today and was talking to the Geek Squad guy who said he was an Uber driver so I decided to pick his brain. I asked about short distances like under 2 miles. No problem. There is a minimum fee that is probably around $4. I can't give you a receipt because it is all on your phone. I don't take money. Sure, short halls are possible... like if you want to go to the McDonald's from here. Drivers have no personal info.

Drivers also don't know the destination until they pick you up. I guess that way they can't decline because the trip is to short. I started driving last week.

Drivers also don't know the destination until they pick you up. I guess that way they can't decline because the trip is to short. I started driving last week.

Can you answer a question for me please? If I get picked up at the airport (LAX) and I want to stop at a Target really fast which is right on the freeway on the way to my drop of destination how do I reserve this? Can I just mention it to driver at the airport? ( LAX to Los Angeles Port for a cruise. I want to stop and buy sodas to carry onboard) Thank you!

I plan to Uber for the first time when out in LA for a cruise next month. My daughter sent me an invitation to join, and by accepting that I get $15 off my first ride, and she gets $15 when I use it. There are also other incentives out there to get you to try Uber. With the offer my daughter sent me I had to get that and accept before we signed up for Uber for it to work.

Can you answer a question for me please? If I get picked up at the airport (LAX) and I want to stop at a Target really fast which is right on the freeway on the way to my drop of destination how do I reserve this? Can I just mention it to driver at the airport? ( LAX to Los Angeles Port for a cruise. I want to stop and buy sodas to carry onboard) Thank you!

Yes, you would just get charged a little extra, because the app tracks the time and distance. It is something like 12 cents a minute, so it would be a little higher.

Yes, you would just get charged a little extra, because the app tracks the time and distance. It is something like 12 cents a minute, so it would be a little higher.

I thought the cost was set once you requested a ride. This makes it sound like if we're stuck in traffic the uber meter is ticking away like a taxi

1) there is no such thing as a "really fast" stop at Target and you certainly don't need to stop at Target to get sodas. Any 7-11, AM-PM or regular grocery store would be a much faster way of doing it.

2) you should disclose when you make the booking that you want to stop for soda.

1) there is no such thing as a "really fast" stop at Target and you certainly don't need to stop at Target to get sodas. Any 7-11, AM-PM or regular grocery store would be a much faster way of doing it.

2) you should disclose when you make the booking that you want to stop for soda.

Oh I can be in and out of a Target in less than 5 minutes! Especially when I know exactly what I need/want. But I don't care where I get them but when I was on google earth I noticed a target very near the port that is why I am saying target.

Is there a way to do that when booking? I know nothing about uber and will not do the app until I know for sure since I have to put CC information in there.

Good point. :confused:

Go to the Uber website and select the city you're looking to travel within. You will see the price breakdown for each type of vehicle.

The price is set as a flat base fare + the price per mile + the price per minute. So if your driver does encounter traffic or a delay, the total cost will be a little higher.

- When you need a ride, the phone app shows the closest cars and how many minutes away they are. That gives you a general idea of your wait time. (You can set a different location...for example you're requesting a ride for a visiting relative who's waiting at the airport and you're at home)

- Enter your destination, the estimated fare will appear. Surge pricing is very clearly shown and you MUST agree to it. Anyone taken by surprise after the fact is plain dumb, as pointed out in the articles cited above.

- Accept the fare, and a car is hailed. Its progress towards you is shown on a map, so you don't have to stand at the curb until the car is approaching. The name and a thumbnail photo of the driver is displayed, also the vehicle description ("Dark blue Toyota Prius, California plate 1ABC789")

- The driver will usually phone you to get your description and location (We're an average-looking couple, I look like Tom Brady and my wife looks like Jessica Alba, we are by pillar #3 on the lower level of the AA terminal with the Louis Vuitton luggage) At that point you can mention the intermediate stop. The driver should be fine with that; if not, they will cancel the hail and you can summon another car.

- I believe there is still a 20% discount if you pay with a Capital One credit card. It was in effect all last year (2015), I'm not sure if it's still valid.

- Tipping is has gone from prohibited to optional to somewhat expected. But it's not required. There is currently no way to add a tip in the Uber app. After the ride is over, you and the driver rate each other. Uber will send a receipt that includes a map of the route the driver took and the distance/time tabulation.

- Uber's lost-and-found system gets great comments in the travel press, I've never had to use it.

- Bruin Steve, I also live in exurban LA. Uber waits can be 15 or 20 minutes late at night. My son's friend is an Uber driver. When I'm going to SNA or LAX, I prearrange the ride with him. When he arrives at my house I request a ride on the Uber app....since he's the closest available car, he gets hailed. That's one way to eliminate any uncertainty in wait time where service isn't dense, and/or give your business to a friend who drives for Uber.

- Beware, some "Uber" fare calculators are from 3rd parties with various agendas behind their website. You can go straight to the Uber website for fare info: https://www.uber.com/cities/

Hope this helps!

Edited by kenish