Princess vs NCL and RCI

nbsjcruiser

Having cruised only once on Princess almost 10 years ago, I am curious to know how Princess stacks up against NCL and RCI. I still look back on that one Princess cruise as THE BEST FOOD I have ever had on any ship while the service was 10 out of 10.

We are diamond on RCI and have decided to branch out a bit for several reasons. Apart from the same menus and same shows that tend to get tiring after a while, we've found that RCI's value for the dollar has dropped noticeably over the last several years. Drink prices are way up, food in the MDR is noticeably lower in standard and even in the specialty restaurants you see the difference. Prices up, choices down. Also, service seems to be struggling as well as it appears they are cutting back everywhere making people work harder. So this year we decided to try NCL for a third time and we've generally been happy with NCL. Having said that, I see many of the same arguments on NCL that I do on RCI and so I'm left wondering. We have the Regal and Royal Princess booked over the next year - where has the service, quality and prices gone on Princess over the last 7 or 8 years? We got what I think was a very good price on both of these cruises and the ships look beautiful from what I've seen but I am curious if the same arguments and complaints exist here as they do on NCL and RCI.

Having cruised only once on Princess almost 10 years ago, I am curious to know how Princess stacks up against NCL and RCI. I still look back on that one Princess cruise as THE BEST FOOD I have ever had on any ship while the service was 10 out of 10.

We are diamond on RCI and have decided to branch out a bit for several reasons. Apart from the same menus and same shows that tend to get tiring after a while, we've found that RCI's value for the dollar has dropped noticeably over the last several years. Drink prices are way up, food in the MDR is noticeably lower in standard and even in the specialty restaurants you see the difference. Prices up, choices down. Also, service seems to be struggling as well as it appears they are cutting back everywhere making people work harder. So this year we decided to try NCL for a third time and we've generally been happy with NCL. Having said that, I see many of the same arguments on NCL that I do on RCI and so I'm left wondering. We have the Regal and Royal Princess booked over the next year - where has the service, quality and prices gone on Princess over the last 7 or 8 years? We got what I think was a very good price on both of these cruises and the ships look beautiful from what I've seen but I am curious if the same arguments and complaints exist here as they do on NCL and RCI.

IMO I think what you describe pretty much describes what's happened on the other cruise lines as well. I often wish there was a way they would back to the "good" days of cruising. But that is not going to happen :(

Of course if you read these boards, there never were any good old days of cruising. The complaints were the same ten years ago. (Well jeans in Dining Room was a much hotter topic not that what somebody else was wearing should have any effect other than showing them they were not quite as important as they thought)

A change may be good. The more likely reason things have gone in the toilet for some no matter which cruise forum you read is frankly some people are "bored" after time of the same thing. They start comparing and frankly most people memories aren't all that great.

Others (most) have a great time period. That being said We prefer Princess and always have as long as we avoid the Cruise Snobs that seem more prevalent. Not sure why its important to always work into a conversation "Status" for some people.

I've recently been on both RCI and NCL. We are diamond on RCI and still like sailing with them on occasion, but Princess has a leg up with the quality of food and a slight edge on service. You couldn't pay me enough to set foot on another NCL ship ever again. Our last 2 were enough to last a lifetime. :eek:

We have cruised both NCL and Princess and feel they are about the same -- "six of one, half a dozen of the other". We are Platinum on NCL and Princess. Both are mid-range cruise lines. And yes, the same arguments and complaints I'm just happy to be cruising!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Edited by Hockeylovinmom

I'm Platinum on both RCI And Princess. We have more cruises with Princess. I don know that the drink prices on Princess is better. DH & I both agree that Princess has better food. Not that we went hungry on Royal- but just though the main meals were OK.

We just did Regal over New Years. I REALLY Liked it! ALWAYS something going on. The rooms are smaller than RCI's BUT we really don't spend that much time in our room. We had an obstructed view balcony- right next to the end of the life boat. We sat on our balcony often we generally sat and enjoyed a drink while we watched the sea go by. We liked the ship and had a fantastic cruise. What we liked least... the bathroom. We still like RCI's glass doors over the curtain in a regular room.

Have fun choosing!!

Princess has better food' date=' better service, and is more "all inclusive" By that, I mean fewer upcharge activities and restaurants.

On Princess you can eat WELL and never pay for an upcharge restaurant. This is not so true on the other lines mentioned.[/quote']

That was my experience with Princess as well but that was 7 or 8 years ago. Glad to see that it might still be the same.

We are on the 2/24 Sapphire out of Singapore but our last two cruises were on the Oasis of the Seas last Oct. and the NCL Getaway last May. I was surprised by the Getaway as this was our 1st NCL cruise. There were pros and cons but in a nutshell NCL has better entertainment but I give the nod to Princess for better food and service. What really surprised me was the response to their survey about the cruise. Mine was mostly positive though there were some problem areas. That same day they replied and gave us $300.00 OBC for a future cruise! Pretty impressive.

The Oasis blew us away for ship design and amenities. Service and food were on a par with Princess per our experience on 5 prior Princess cruises.

Here is how I generally view this subject.......it doesn't matter if it is a cruise, airline, resort, amusement park, concert or anything that can be considered "an experience" there are those that reliably talk about issues, problems and people with frequency. I am not a patient person but when I have the rare opportunity to unplug on a cruise, I try to think about where I am, where I could be and then enjoy. I can choose to be upset over an uncomfortable bed, bad food, rude people, unhelpful staff, music that is not my style, ships that are just not right and on an on. Those things happen every day on land. At the end, it is how you choose to handle disappointment. I find that a bad meal will be better tomorrow. A rude employee will be discovered, a rude passenger can be avoided and that for every rude employee there are 10 behind them that are appreciative an will go above and beyond. I simply choose to look at things half full...find the good an understand there will be imperfect and not let it make that glass half empty. I am not "entitled" to anything other than taking my next breath.

We have the Regal and Royal Princess booked over the next year - where has the service, quality and prices gone on Princess over the last 7 or 8 years? We got what I think was a very good price on both of these cruises and the ships look beautiful from what I've seen but I am curious if the same arguments and complaints exist here as they do on NCL and RCI.

Not for nothing, but in my experience on my last 3 Princess cruises...including Regal...service and quality is exactly the same as RCI. Personally, I think that's a good thing.

NCL, well, the more ala cart they become, the worse it gets. I think they're the bottom of the barrel.

Link to a review Princess v NCL (albeit 5 years old now) in my sig. block.

Princess is a bit cheaper re drinks and add-ons than NCL - food possibly slightly better but not much in it.

NCL is going in a 'new' direction which many (ourselves included) are not too happy about. They are making many changes and the communication of those changes has not been good.

Our one RCI cruise was not a good experience - they managed to drop the ball food-wise and service-wise several times over 4 days - we will not be back.

Currently, we would look to Princess as our first choice out of those three lines - we are trying P&O in March however.

Here is how I generally view this subject.......it doesn't matter if it is a cruise, airline, resort, amusement park, concert or anything that can be considered "an experience" there are those that reliably talk about issues, problems and people with frequency. I am not a patient person but when I have the rare opportunity to unplug on a cruise, I try to think about where I am, where I could be and then enjoy. I can choose to be upset over an uncomfortable bed, bad food, rude people, unhelpful staff, music that is not my style, ships that are just not right and on an on. Those things happen every day on land. At the end, it is how you choose to handle disappointment. I find that a bad meal will be better tomorrow. A rude employee will be discovered, a rude passenger can be avoided and that for every rude employee there are 10 behind them that are appreciative an will go above and beyond. I simply choose to look at things half full...find the good an understand there will be imperfect and not let it make that glass half empty. I am not "entitled" to anything other than taking my next breath.

Captures our sentiments exactly.:D

Funny this came up, we are pretty loyal to Princess, rarely do we do other ships, we just love Princess.. Last June we did a family reunion on NCL Getaway. We wanted a change and thought the younger ones would like it more for some reason. I was excited to drift away from Princess this one time and see what NCL was like.. No disrespect at all to NCL, but we will be staying with our beloved Princess!! Everything is better on Princess in our opinion. :)

We typically sail Princess and I love everything about them. I have cruised NCL recently with my Sis in Law and LOVED the trip. I felt the entertainment was far better on NCL and the food was excellent (the same as Princess). I did enjoy the crepes on NCL and the larger assortment of beverages (including flavored water) included in your cruise cost. Overall, I liked NCL a bit better but Hubby wants to stay with Princess and enjoy our Platinum status. Things are a little more sedate (relaxing) on Princess than on NCL. Cabin size (balcony) is comparable. We love the International Cafe on Princess and there was not really anything to compare that to on our Norwegian ship. I wrote a blog post titled "Goldilocks and the 3 cruise lines" comparing Carnival, Norwegian and Princess. Overall, I felt Norwegian was "just right" and Princess was a little too soft (sedate) for me. Carnival was too hard overall, although I really enjoyed the adults only deck area. Just my personal opinion and you will find many others say the food and service is far better on Princess. I did not find this to be true. Outstanding service on NCL and I enjoy the towel animals. We don't get those on Princess. Not a show stopper, just a nicety. Overall if you want complete relaxation and to "escape completely" I would recommend Princess. If you want more activities and better entertainment, I would say go with Norwegian. (just my opinion) Here is my blog post: http://www.joyfuljourneyist.com/blog/goldilocks-and-the-3-cruise-lineshttp://www.joyfuljourneyist.com/blog/goldilocks-and-the-3-cruise-lines

Edited by tourismtessy
forgot link

WE are very loyal "Upper tier" RCCL cruisers. Last week we sailed Princess Emerald. Have to give a thumbs up to Princess for both food and service.

Our meal at the Crown Grill on Princess was the best meal EVER at sea. Some food venues are open 24 hours, unlike RCCL.

We never saw a dirty dish or glass setting around. Princess seems to have a higher staff to guest ratio.

We would love to sail Princess. We had a huge problem with a policy of Princess and their treatment of Handicapped passengers preventing us from sailing with them again.:mad:

Can you please explain this comment? Thanks.

Sure. I am challenged when it come to waling long distances. When we docked at Grand Turk there was no wheel chairs or trams available to take handicapped people TO the reception center. A worker from the Island saw me struggeling to get up the pier and went to the reception center to try to get someone to bring a wheelchair to help me. He was told (as I was later) that I must first make it all the way to the reception center on my own before they could help me! After 45 minutes I made it. They then provided a wheelchair and returned me to the ship with no problem.

That made absolutely no cense to me. I addressed it with Guest services and was actually yelled at! They (She) raised her voice at told me and all those around me "You just don't understand!". She was right I don't understand!

Someone can push a handicapped person down the pier, just not up the pier! Because of this policy I could be held captive on the ship because I can't walk all the way up a pier.

On other cruise lines, locals are standing by with wheel chairs wanting to help for a tip. I have never been denied w/c service on other lines. So sadly we can't take a chance with Princess. We would love too!

Sure. I am challenged when it come to waling long distances. When we docked at Grand Turk there was no wheel chairs or trams available to take handicapped people TO the reception center. A worker from the Island saw me struggeling to get up the pier and went to the reception center to try to get someone to bring a wheelchair to help me. He was told (as I was later) that I must first make it all the way to the reception center on my own before they could help me! After 45 minutes I made it. They then provided a wheelchair and returned me to the ship with no problem.

That made absolutely no cense to me. I addressed it with Guest services and was actually yelled at! They (She) raised her voice at told me and all those around me "You just don't understand!". She was right I don't understand!

Someone can push a handicapped person down the pier, just not up the pier! Because of this policy I could be held captive on the ship because I can't walk all the way up a pier.

On other cruise lines, locals are standing by with wheel chairs wanting to help for a tip. I have never been denied w/c service on other lines. So sadly we can't take a chance with Princess. We would love too!

Thank you so much for explaining the problem. I certainly hope you complained to customer service at Princess Headquarters because that policy sounds absurd. You might also want to complain to Carnival Corporate (not Carnival cruise line) because I understand that the dock at Grand Turk was built by them specifically for the Carnival family of cruise lines (which includes Princess).

Thank you so much for explaining the problem. I certainly hope you complained to customer service at Princess Headquarters because that policy sounds absurd. You might also want to complain to Carnival Corporate (not Carnival cruise line) because I understand that the dock at Grand Turk was built by them specifically for the Carnival family of cruise lines (which includes Princess).

Do you have any contact info for Carnival Corp? CEO name ? I would certainly appreciate it.

Do you have any contact info for Carnival Corp? CEO name ? I would certainly appreciate it.

The only contact I've seen on these boards is for Jan Swartz, the President of Princess: jswartz@princesscruises.com

I googled Carnival Corp and came back with this info (http://elliott.org/company-contacts/carnival-cruise-lines/) so I'm not sure of the accuracy (I do know that the CEO's name is correct). I'm sure other folks will chime in and provide more info if they have it.

Carnival Corporation is the parent company of several cruise lines, including Carnival Cruise Lines, Holland America Line, Princess Cruises, Seabourn Cruise Line, Windstar Cruises, AIDA Cruises, Costa Cruises, Cunard Line, P&O Cruises, Ocean Village, Swan Hellenic and P&O Cruises Australia. Some have excellent reputations for customer service. Others, not-so-excellent. The relationships between these lines and their corporate parent — at least when it comes to customer service issues — isn’t always entirely clear. Certainly, it is a good idea to start any query at the cruise line level. All appeals should go to Carnival.

3655 NW 87th Avenue

Miami, FL 33178

Phone Contacts

Main: (305) 599-2600 ext 16000

Customer Service: (888) 227-6482

Toll Free: (800) 438-6744 ext 16000

Emergency: (877) 885-4856

Complaint department: (800) 438-6744

Email Contacts

Executive Contacts

If you contact the company by email, you should receive an almost immediate return receipt, and a substantive reply within one week. If you don't, it's safe to assume you're being ignored. Before you reach out to one of these managers, please
, which will increase the odds of a successful appeal.

Primary Contact

Stefan Christoffersson

VP of Onboard Guest Services

3655 NW 87th Avenue

Miami, FL 33178-2418

(954) 217-9216

Secondary Contact

Mark Tamis

Senior Vice President of Guest Operations

3655 NW 87th Avenue

Miami, FL 33178-2418

(305) 599-2600

Chief Executive

Arnold Donald

CEO

3655 NW 87th Avenue

Miami, FL 33178-9216

(305) 406-5437

I am diamond also on RCL and love the line. But our most recent RCL cruise was four years ago on the Allure. I have enjoyed all my RCL cruises and feel connected to them. I love their ships and the energy I feel when on them. We have a week booked on the Allure for this November.

But I sense changes with the company that don't excite me. They abandoned California and have pulled a lot of ships out of the Caribbean, sending them to Asia and Dubai. It's as if they don't care for the North American customer any more. And theIr new ships are getting more and more gimmicky.

Now, for all that, we have just finished our third Princess cruise, the second from Los Angeles in the past two months. Princess has excellent ships and nicely presented. I find them relaxing and they have as many amenities as I need.

But I don't feel the same energy I get from RCL. I think the food and entertainment on RCL is better. And the Princess ships are all pretty much the same without much individual personality.

I will gladly take a cruise on either line. I'm inclined to choose Princess for California, Mexico and Hawaii sailings and Royal Caribbean for Florida and Mediterranean sailings.

I guess my point is both are great and it's good to change it up now and then.

I must admit that I am a bit confused here.

I have traveled on several cruises, on several lines (Celebrity, Princess, RCCL, HAL, Viking and others). Often with an individual with a disability that requires a mobility device (varies depending upon the situation).

On all of the lines the cruise contracts, FAQ's and other information has made it clear that we must make arrangements for our own equipment (either bring our own or make arrangements to rent) and I have never seen a port with wheel chairs lined up with people for tips (especially since the pier is usually in restricted areas and personnel access is limited). I have seen trams provided by the ports at some locations, though only a small percentage of the time where the distance from the pier to the port entrance is quite long. I have seen carts for tips in some Mexican cities, though not at the ports themselves.

I just checked the Princess cruise documents and they make it pretty clear that it is up to the traveler to make their own arrangements for dealing with their mobility issues. Celebrity pretty much says the same thing saying that complimentary wheel chair service is only provided for embarkation and disembarkation at the beginning and ending ports.

To put it simply the standard for pretty much all of the lines seems to that if you have a mobility disability they will sell you passage, but how you get around the ship and in ports is pretty much the responsibility of you and the people you are traveling with. They will intervene in case of a medical emergency, but that it about it.

Edited by RDC1

I must admit that I am a bit confused here.

I have traveled on several cruises, on several lines (Celebrity, Princess, RCCL, HAL, Viking and others). Often with an individual with a disability that requires a mobility device (varies depending upon the situation).

On all of the lines the cruise contracts, FAQ's and other information has made it clear that we must make arrangements for our own equipment (either bring our own or make arrangements to rent) and I have never seen a port with wheel chairs lined up with people for tips (especially since the pier is usually in restricted areas and personnel access is limited). I have seen trams provided by the ports at some locations, though only a small percentage of the time where the distance from the pier to the port entrance is quite long. I have seen carts for tips in some Mexican cities, though not at the ports themselves.

I just checked the Princess cruise documents and they make it pretty clear that it is up to the traveler to make their own arrangements for dealing with their mobility issues. Celebrity pretty much says the same thing saying that complimentary wheel chair service is only provided for embarkation and disembarkation at the beginning and ending ports.

To put it simply the standard for pretty much all of the lines seems to that if you have a mobility disability they will sell you passage, but how you get around the ship and in ports is pretty much the responsibility of you and the people you are traveling with. They will intervene in case of a medical emergency, but that it about it.

I am so sorry your confused. I am sorry that I ever brought this up!

Maybe I can clear some of your questions. We are Diamond Plus on RCCl. I travel with my Husband AND assistive devices. Normally I DO NOT need a wheelchair. Thus I do not travel with one. We pick our excursions wisely and as a result we have been able to travel around the world.

On this particular day, in Grand Turk, with Princess I had a problem. I needed help...THIS TIME.

Princess policy of not letting anyone come help you on THIER pier until you make it to the reception center will keep us from sailing with them. I am disappointed by that.

The "one way" policy is the problem for me. Someone can help you down the pier, not up the pier?

Please next time you sail another line, when you first (usually very early in the disembarkation) get off the gangway please look to see that there are people there to help you both up and down the pier. In fact Royal has special wheel chairs on their private Islands that can be used in the sand! You most probably have never noticed them because you never needed them.

When you come back to the pier in Cozumel next time, and Grand Turk look around after you pass the security area and you will notice wheel chairs setting there.

I am so sorry that I even brought this up. I just answered a question. I have been around Cruise Critic long enough to know that I would get flamed!

BUT, I stick by my thoughts that the "one way " policy is absurd.