How to communicate with friends onboard?

WestWind12

We will be on a cruise in the spring and friends will be on the same cruise. What are some good ways to communicate with them when we are not doing everything at the same time? Our smartphones will be off so we don't have those extra usage fees. Can we leave messages on their cabin phone? I was thinking maybe a note on their cabin door saying where we are or plan to be.

Best way...

https://www.ncl.com/downloads/iconcierge

Onboard app, used to text message and make calls aboard ship using the ship's wi-fi network. Also used to see what's happening on the ship, make reservations, excursions...

Stick your phone in airplane mode to avoid roaming fees, pay $8 one-time per device to use the service for the duration of the trip.

Otherwise, yes, you can leave notes or VMs room-to-room on the ships phone system.

Edited by triptolemus

Thanks for the comments. I didn't know about the iconcierge app. It sounds perfect - we will try it.

You didn't mention what ship you're on, but right now iConcierge is only onboard Norwegian Breakaway, Norwegian Epic, Norwegian Getaway, Norwegian Jewel, Norwegian Pearl, Norwegian Sun, Norwegian Star and Pride Of America.

Just want to make sure you saw that bit.

Edited by triptolemus

You didn't mention what ship you're on, but right now iConcierge is only onboard Norwegian Breakaway, Norwegian Epic, Norwegian Getaway, Norwegian Jewel, Norwegian Pearl, Norwegian Sun, Norwegian Star and Pride Of America.

And before someone corrects me, I'm sure it's on Escape, too. But NCL can't be bothered to update their website with current information. How long has that boat been in the water now? Jeez.

I thought the iConcierge app is free? There was no mention of a charge for it . I've downloaded it but on the Ncl website it didn't mention an onboard charge at all .

It cost $7,95 p.p. (one time fee) if you want to use it for texting other passengers on board who also have downloaded the app. Using it for other things on board (like booking entertainment, specialty restaurant, checking your on board account, etc.) it is free.

I believe that the app has to be downloaded before you embark the ship. Remember to set your phone on airplane mode to avoid roaming fees from your telephone carrier, more information on how to use the app you find here:

https://www.ncl.com/sites/default/files/iCONCIERGE_05132014.pdf

Edited by TrumpyNor

Just want to make sure you saw that bit.

It's also on the Gem now as well. (We'll get to test it out in ten days!)

Best way...

https://www.ncl.com/downloads/iconcierge

Onboard app, used to text message and make calls aboard ship using the ship's wi-fi network. Also used to see what's happening on the ship, make reservations, excursions...

Stick your phone in airplane mode to avoid roaming fees, pay $8 one-time per device to use the service for the duration of the trip.

Otherwise, yes, you can leave notes or VMs room-to-room on the ships phone system.

Used this app on our Breakaway cruise last year. It didn't work more often than it did.

I was on a cruise with 6 others; 4 cabins. It was the perfect way to communicate between the 7 of us.

Wish it was free; but it was worth the $7.95 to allow for easy communication to see where everyone was at to meet up for meals and activities.

We will be on a cruise in the spring and friends will be on the same cruise. What are some good ways to communicate with them when we are not doing everything at the same time? Our smartphones will be off so we don't have those extra usage fees. Can we leave messages on their cabin phone? I was thinking maybe a note on their cabin door saying where we are or plan to be.

Messages on each others phones or Post-It Notes on doors work best. Don't spend the money on dry erase boards.

I bought a small dry erase board for each of the rooms in our group. We left messages and we even had messages from other people. I ended up having a very nice conversation with a couple that was walking by, they were curious about the people who were getting the funny messages on their door. We chatted about the ship and such. I had put the boards in a small "goodie bag" I had made for the people in our group with glow in the dark sticks/bracelets for the white hot party and a button I had made which designated our group.

I hope you have a great cruise, it is a lot of fun going with a group!