lost deposit for UK cruisers-is this fair policy

lenbest

Celebrity Cruises

If you cancel your holiday you will lose your deposit. Additional charges will apply for any cancellation less than 57 days before your booked date. The rate of these charges depends on how far in advance of your intended travel date you cancel the holiday. Further information is available in the Booking Conditions brochure.

Read more at http://www.virginholidayscruises.co.uk/cruise-guide/costs/what-happens-to-my-deposit-if-i-have-to-cancel-my-cruise#YU3XBuydXy3bHWOD.99

No it's not fair at all. I hear various reasons about trading laws in the UK etc, but nothing would stop a cruise lime giving you a credit for the deposit, or discount equalling that amount off another cruise, rather then refunding it.

Ian

When they dropped the price of our cruise the same week as I had booked I lost the whole deposit, the most expensive phone call I ever made. I know the cruise did work out cheaper than I had originally booked at, but it is still annoying that had I waited just a few more days I would have saved an additional £300.

Providing that you know in advance what the terms are, it's fair. You always have the option not to book.

Exactly.

Have booked many holidays over the years with different travel companies and don't believe any of them came with refundable deposits!

I am well aware that the price fluctuates as do air fares etc. However when the cost of the cruise went down by over £800 in four days it is a massive difference and annoying to have to lose the total deposit. Although obviously the end result meant I was £500 better off than keeping to original booking. Normally I would expect that the prices would go down nearer the time of the cruise or occasionally rise, but in my case it was the same week that I had booked and ten months before the cruise.

Can't you book with US TA's and avoid the deposit issue, or am I mistaken?

Going slightly off topic last year we were looking to book Disneyland Paris it was considerably cheaper on the French website to the English website but the system would not let me book on the French site using a UK registered credit card. I have read here on cruise critic that others have successfully used a US agent for cruise bookings so worth looking in to next time.

first - I agree the rules in the UK are definitely a bit unfair. However if you buy an airline ticket you are locked in to the price. Price goes up later you smile. go down you cry. Does every cruise line have a similar policy there?

What is totally unfair is those of us in the USA can put down a deposit and get every farthing returned up to final payment date.

you definitely would need to look for an agent willing to take a UK booking as two I used recently dequire US residence.

Edited by az_tchr

Going slightly off topic last year we were looking to book Disneyland Paris it was considerably cheaper on the French website to the English website but the system would not let me book on the French site using a UK registered credit card. I have read here on cruise critic that others have successfully used a US agent for cruise bookings so worth looking in to next time.

Continuing slightly off topic I understand that following complaints on differing pricing within the EU that it is now possible to request booking on another country Disneyland Paris website ;)

The UK booking system is generally based on non-refundable deposits for holidays and always has been, this includes cruises. British people in my opinion, tend not to book anything unless they are pretty certain they will end up travelling as a deposit is a big commitment. This may well lead to an increased likelihood of bargain priced last minute deals. Typically UK residents will only cancel a cruise for a substantive reason and that is likely to be covered by your Travel Insurance Policy.

The US system seems to encourage a multitude of casual booking a range of cruises and then making your mind up later on. Cancelling and receiving refunds from deposits which relate to bookings you discard. Presumably this is how the holiday industry has evolved in the US. This system should allow you to get the best cabins and other choices as you can book early across the board. I understand that in many cases if a cruise fare reduces then you can end up paying the lower fare.

I have noticed with Princess UK people can book a Flexi-Fare which is slightly higher than the normal fare but permits people to cancel up to 72 hours prior to sailing and get a near total refund meaning you only pay 8% of the cruise fare but this excludes airfare. It would cover for huge price reductions as you could cancel and re-book or re-book then cancel to be safer. Not many people know this as Michael Caine would say.

Do any other lines from Carnival Corporation or other brands offer similar fare structures?

Regards John

Edited by john watson

Can't you book with US TA's and avoid the deposit issue, or am I mistaken?

There was a situation whereby you needed a US address for a booking to be accepted with many US lines and you also had to comply with many regulations imposed by the cruise line to protect revenue to do this but I think the situation has eased.

Regards John

There was a situation whereby you needed a US address for a booking to be accepted with many US lines and you also had to comply with many regulations imposed by the cruise line to protect revenue to do this but I think the situation has eased.

Regards John

Thanks. I agree that the lost deposit penalty seems unfair for our UK friends.

I had to cancel a cruise due to a very close family members passing

Within 2 weeks of sailing date.

Celebrity were fantastic, I was able to book the same cruise

12 months later at the same cost and same cabin,

for all the moans I find Celebrity to be fantastic and once onboard

It only gets better.

We must stop telling people