Grand Voyage of South America

mcsean

I am thinking of booking the grand voyage of South America next year. Can someone who has taken this cruise offer some insights. Also, are there any nice amenities offered on a grand voyage?

Best,

Tom

Hi Tom,

Have not done a grand voyage, but did two-weeks around Cape Horn (Valparaiso to Buenos Aires, no Antarctica approach) on the Zaandam.

At Punta Arenas, we did the ship's tour of Otway Sound and Penguin Reserve; we were VERY HAPPY WITH IT and were very glad we had booked it with the ship as unbeknownst to us at the ranch BBQ, the weather and wind had come up with the ferry and the tenders having to be halted and a great line had built up at the ferry. We were on the last (delayed) tender that waited for us; they pulled in the gangway after us!

At Ushuaia we had booked the train but it did not run (failed to have minimum number) and we switched to the bus to the end of the world.

Regarding Stanley; there is something like a 50% chance tenders will not be able to get you to shore. We also booked one of the several penguin tours from the ship (Bluff Cove) and had time to walk around town and stop at a couple of pubs!

Montevideo is a very walkable city and that's what we did.

We had an overnight at Buenos Aires and did both the all day Estancia tour *and* the ship's transfer with highlights after disembarking. I recommend whichever suits your plans.

Regarding penguins. They are at those places from November to March; do not believe Shore Excursions Group, LLC if they are still offering their penguin tours in exactly the wrong months, and claiming no penguins in the times when they ARE there. For accurate information, Google Dr. Mike Bingham and his book on the Penguins of the Falkland Islands and South America.

Regarding your ship and its amenities, I cannot help. The Prinsendam is supposed to be very nice and I would like to sail on her!

Oh yes, if you are sailing from FLL through the Panama Canal, and want to spend at least some of the time on your own balcony, you should choose one on the port side -- the sun on the starboard will drive you in! Not intuitive! Check a close-up map. That will be great for scenic cruising of the glaciers in Chile, too.

Edited by crystalspin

Did this cruise last year and hoping to do it again next year0 that is how much I like it. It is a great cruise and usually the roll call is very active. Ports are wonderful, no matter what you plan to do and Antarctica is beyond belief. We saw lots of penguins and many, many whales. I really like the ship (small, I got to know people easily). Yes there are some special "grand voyage" things ... gifts and speakers. The speakers were really good. I highly recommend this cruise if you can arrange it.

Susan

We did San Diego to Buenos Aires, if this is close to the Grand Tour you are contemplating - fabulous trip and the Zaandam was just lovely. We had no idea we would like this itinerary as much as we did.

We did it primarily because we had not checked off this part of the world and were surprised how deeply learning about our own "backyard" in South America affected us. It is familiar in its European origins yet the pre-Western history is dazzling in its complexity, impact and power.

What we like about South America/Antarctica is that the cruise have such a focus on nature. In the Antarctica it is all about penguins, seals, icebergs and whales. The Falkland island has opportunities to literally sit within feet of thousands of penguins. The Amazon is just amazing and full of unique wildlife like sloths and monkeys.