UBP while in Port?

wendytheplanner

NCL has different charging dependent on having or not having UBP. If you have UBP a 18% service charge is added to the cost upon purchase(unless you had the TOTALLY free promo). If you purchase drinks onboard an 18% service charge is added onto every drink. Taxes are added dependent upon the port. So far we have only paid taxes ( not service charge) in US ports (NY and Tampa)

Safe sailing

Edited by spidybabe

We will be going on the Star in February. I was just wonder if you have the free UBP with gratuity included if you still have to pay port taxes on your drinks while you are in port ?

It's state sales tax, not port tax. No clue what the Nassau fee is. I've never heard of that before, nor ever been charged it.

Anytime you are in port, there is the possibility of local taxes. But as far as I know, there are no local taxes for drinks ordered while the ship is docked in Bermuda (where the OP is going). There is no sales tax or VAT in Bermuda, at time of writing.

The UBP works all the time, whether the ship is at sea or in port. (Again, for now…)

Edited by hawkeyetlse

NCL has different charging dependent on having or not having UBP. If you have UBP a 18% service charge is added to the cost upon purchase(unless you had the TOTALLY free promo). If you purchase drinks onboard an 18% service charge is added onto every drink. Taxes are added dependent upon the port. So far we have only paid taxes ( not service charge) in US ports (NY and Tampa)

Safe sailing

For the 'free' promo you still pay the gratuity. I have it on my cruise in June and I paid $80 and change for my free promo.

OP is asking about Breakaway to Bermuda. So, I'm commenting on that only. Yes you can use your UBP while docked in Bermuda. We had the UBP on the Breakaway to Bermuda and there's no taxes charged on drinks while in Bermuda. ;) However, as others have stated, they will charge you taxes while still docked in NY. Honestly, it's not that much if you think about it. Usually less than $1 for most drinks. :)

For the 'free' promo you still pay the gratuity. I have it on my cruise in June and I paid $80 and change for my free promo.

Our Alaska cruise in August was booked in March 2015. We have the TOTALLY Free UBP...it was before they started charging the 18% on them.

Safe sailing

We have promo UBP on Jewel in Feb. Have paid gratuity already - question is with the sticker showing you have UBP do you still sign for drinks? Do they scan your card?

Karen

We have promo UBP on Jewel in Feb. Have paid gratuity already - question is with the sticker showing you have UBP do you still sign for drinks? Do they scan your card?

Karen

They simply scan your card, no signing.

We signed for every drink on our Breakaway cruise. ;)

In August on the BA we needed to sign the slip. Last week on the Star we did not have to sign the slip. Very few people were tipping at the bars- way less than on previous cruises. Unless they were going to tip at the end of the week.

Safe sailing

I had to sign all those slips for soda and wine on the Pearl in November, but understand that step has now been eliminated and slips are no longer required. I will be sure to bring along some $ to tip in cash on my Sun cruise next week.

I hope this is true. It would be so much easier on the staff to not have to take that extra step of signing slips and the service would be much faster. fingers crossed! :)

I hope this is true. It would be so much easier on the staff to not have to take that extra step of signing slips and the service would be much faster. fingers crossed! :)

Yes, it is true, it is reported by many members here having sailed on different ships recently.

I agree. Although I was looking forward to adding them up to see how much I was 'up on the deal' with UBP. Do they still show up on the TV?