Assigned mdr seating/time -etiquitte?

Shih-tzu

If we know we wont be making dinner the next night we let tablemates or waiter know

When we do MTD on RCCL we usually have a set dining time and we can let the host/hostess that day we wont be there

We try to get to our table within 5 minutes of time

If we are waiting at a table ready to order I wait 10-15minutes before ordering

One of the reasons I don't like the big 8-10tops is never knowing if people are showing up or not

When dinner is at a fixed time for land dining venues, it is good form to let your dinner mates know if you won't be there at the expected time . Why should it be different on a cruise? If you prefer not to have to adhere to a set time or be accountable to others, choose anytime dining. That's what it is for. IMO it is inconsiderate to choose fixed dining when you are not going to show up, as it prevents others from getting the seating they wish.

Well said...We have MDR first seating and only intend on not being there 1 day (Chef's Table). I most certainly will be informing my table-mates, waiter and the Maitre d'. IMHO that's just common courtesy.

Ok good for you but what does that have to do with the fact that it doesn't hurt to let others at your table know you will not be dining a certain night if you know it in advance.

How do you do that on first nite? We and others eat in steak house 1st nite.

I see no obligation to let anyone know, alot of times they do not even put table #'s out until late.

Just shows we need to get you back on a Carnival ship soon. To answer your question, other than formal nights the answer is yes.

I keep looking but haven't found that cruise on CCL that gets me to pull the trigger. I have been close a couple of times

From what I keep reading on here I was puzzled by the poster who said they ate in the buffet because they didn't want to dress for dinner because everybody keeps saying shorts are allowed.

Bill

Ahhhh, the "I'm on vacation so..." excuse for bad behaviour. It apparently covers just about everything.:rolleyes:

It's your opinion this is bad behavior. I'm not saying you are wrong, but I have zero obligation to tell anyone what my plans are for the next evening. There's a strong chance my family hasn't made their mind up.

What if we decide to stay longer in port, grab a burger at 4:30 or so and then only want a light meal at the buffet? That's a decision made well after the prior nights dinner.

This is the single reason I could be at a table with seating capacity for 4 or 400, I'm not waiting or do I expect you to do so.

It's your opinion this is bad behavior. I'm not saying you are wrong, but I have zero obligation to tell anyone what my plans are for the next evening. There's a strong chance my family hasn't made their mind up.

What if we decide to stay longer in port, grab a burger at 4:30 or so and then only want a light meal at the buffet? That's a decision made well after the prior nights dinner.

This is the single reason I could be at a table with seating capacity for 4 or 400, I'm not waiting or do I expect you to do so.

For people like you they should close door to DR after say 15 minutes so others are not inconvenienced.

Some people have no manners and think it is all about them.

Get a grip people. No, I would not come in late to dinner. That would be rude. But, I am not in anyway obligated to let anybody know my dinner plans. Get there on time and order. I'll be in anytime dining. Suits us much better. And we prefer just the two of us at the table. So, don't wait on us.

:D

For people like you they should close door to DR after say 15 minutes so others are not inconvenienced.

There is no link to my comment and your response. I'd love to read how you extrapolated that.

We've cruised since the days of the Mardi Gras' date=' and for several decades they did close the dining room entrance within a few minutes of scheduled serving time. I have zero problem with that. If you or someone does then don't select fixed time dining.

You also assume I am inconvenienced by someone or their party walking in the dining room late. That's not the case at all, and merely an assumption on your part. I don't care if you waltz in 90 minutes late in feathers, my family is there on time, ordering dinner, enjoying the meal and moving on to other things aboard the ship.

Just because someone else is linked by a computer to dine at my table we don't have an automatic obligation to be anything more than conversational table mates. We've met dozens in 25 Carnival cruises and some cruise with us today.

I'm also not their momma, so they can do whatever they want. Me too, and I plan to do so again in a few days.

.[/color']

Edited by BallFour4

Get a grip people. No, I would not come in late to dinner. That would be rude. But, I am not in anyway obligated to let anybody know my dinner plans. Get there on time and order. I'll be in anytime dining. Suits us much better. And we prefer just the two of us at the table. So, don't wait on us.

:D

And the group says amen! :)

Although we have had great success at large tables meeting very interesting people.

Edited by BallFour4

There is no link to my comment and your response. I'd love to read how you extrapolated that.

We've cruised since the days of the Mardi Gras, and for several decades they did close the dining room entrance within a few minutes of scheduled serving time. I have zero problem with that. If you or someone does then don't select fixed time dining.

You also assume I am inconvenienced by someone or their party walking in the dining room late. That's not the case at all, and merely an assumption on your part. I don't care if you waltz in 90 minutes late in feathers, my family is there on time, ordering dinner, enjoying the meal and moving on to other things aboard the ship.

Just because someone else is linked by a computer to dine at my table we don't have an automatic obligation to be anything more than conversational table mates. We've met dozens in 25 Carnival cruises and some cruise with us today.

I'm also not their momma, so they can do whatever they want. Me too, and I plan to do so again in a few days.

Thank You so much. Things on here get silly sometimes. Maybe we could eat together sometime. :)

There is a difference between "obligation" and "respect". This post seems to be talking about the obligation to tell your table mates, and is seems most would think it's non of their business etc what or where you want to eat and when. The other side is "respect". You just are not eating dinner in a buffet, but rather at a table with others that you plan to share the next 7 nights. Respect is telling everyone you will eat at the Steak house the next night.

So for the OP, respectfully let you table mates know you will be absent the next night.

Last cruise was on 2007 with our family of 4 so we were able to have a table to ourselves, just family. This time the kids are grown and gone and it's just the wife and I.

Not to be rude but I'm not interested in the least in sitting with strangers. I'm not a conversationalist and I'm on this cruise for three things. The Sun, the boat and my wife's company.

Do they have tables for two? Can these be requested or not?

Last cruise was on 2007 with our family of 4 so we were able to have a table to ourselves, just family. This time the kids are grown and gone and it's just the wife and I.

Not to be rude but I'm not interested in the least in sitting with strangers. I'm not a conversationalist and I'm on this cruise for three things. The Sun, the boat and my wife's company.

Do they have tables for two? Can these be requested or not?

Yes, you can request a table for two. ATD is more set up with tables of two. All of them are set 4 inches from the next table for two.

The one and only time we were at a large table with strangers it was awkward. The 2d night the younger singles had found another table but the waiter kept holding up waiting for them to arrive. It wasn't til we pointed out they were at another table did we get to order. 3rd night others are at buffet and we had to wait again.

Our experience with awkward dinner also has led us to always request a table just for our family. This is helpful when traveling with our autistic daughter. Then if we decide to eat at buffet, no one is affected.

But notifying the maitre'd if you will miss I think is both appropriate and polite. I wish all passengers could be that thoughtful when sharing a table with strangers.