Considering Cancelling Cruise - Zika Virus

Lots of insurance policies in the US pay for fertility treatment. Ours paid for 3 IVF cycles which is the common coverage.

It may be different now w/ Obamacare. Back in the day, we were lucky it covered pregnancy, and our insurance certainly didn't want to pay to help them pay more!

Stay home.........after all you are going through to have a child, now is not the time to not be cautious. Hopefully this is the first of many "sacrifices" you will make for your child. All part of being a parent.

For those saying she is overreacting, could you live with yourself if you chose to take a vacation that caused a life changing birth defect to your child? I know I couldn't.

http://www.cdc.gov/zika/pregnancy/question-answers.html

I totally agree with you. Question is how to get your money back.

In this situation there are very easily taken precautions to make the extremely rare possibility of her getting the Zika virus if pregnant virtually non-existing on this cruise.

If the OP and her partner are willing to take the financial hit and it concerns them that much its their choice to do whatever needs to be done to alleviate their concerns. IMO their travel insurer or RCI shouldn't have to cover this.

If that is the case maybe they shouldn't be cruising or taking an out of the country vacation at all because of their concerns at this critical stage in their lives.

Edited by robtulipe

In this situation there are very easily taken precautions to make the extremely rare possibility of her getting the Zika virus if pregnant virtually non-existing on this cruise.

If the OP and her partner are willing to take the financial hit and it concerns them that much its their choice to do whatever needs to be done to alleviate their concerns. IMO their travel insurer or RCI shouldn't have to cover this.

If that is the case maybe they shouldn't be cruising or taking an out of the country vacation at all because of their concerns at this critical stage in their lives.

It is a very difficult, personal decision. As I said before, I wish the best for the OP. We can all sit behind our screens and say it is rare and unlikely, but if the OP decides to go and encounters that one in a million mosquito that causes a horrific birth defect to their child, it is something they are going to have to deal with for the rest of their lives.

We all have to do what we feel is best for our families.

Rob, stress also affects fertility & a healthy pregnancy. This is no time for her to be worried while on board, no matter how small the chance. She needs peace of mind. I know it might be hard to imagine because you're not her/a woman/pregnant/trying to get pregnant, but she is not overreacting. Some things are more important then money.

At the point of booking this cruise over 6 months ago we hadn't even been referred for fertility treatment.

RC has said that if I can PROVE I am pregnant (which we won't know for atleast another week as pregnancy won't show up in tests until after a certain point) then we will receive a full refund from them due to the Foreign Office advising pregnant women not to travel to these areas.

In the case of the insurance who we haven't been able to get any information from about our individual case until their offices are open tomorrow, or spoken with my fertility consultant, we won't know where we stand if we cancel, "take the financial hit" and then claim the money back through our insurance.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

It is a very difficult, personal decision. As I said before, I wish the best for the OP. We can all sit behind our screens and say it is rare and unlikely, but if the OP decides to go and encounters that one in a million mosquito that causes a horrific birth defect to their child, it is something they are going to have to deal with for the rest of their lives.

We all have to do what we feel is best for our families.

Rob, stress also affects fertility & a healthy pregnancy. This is no time for her to be worried while on board, no matter how small the chance. She needs peace of mind. I know it might be hard to imagine because you're not her/a woman/pregnant/trying to get pregnant, but she is not overreacting. Some things are more important then money.

I agree its the OP's choice but she the one who has expressed concern about the financial lost to them.

We've been on 32 cruises to that part of the cruise world ( Caribbean, Mexico, Central American and Bahamas ) and I can't even recall ever even seeing mosquitos during our daytime shore visits. Maybe we've been very fortunate. We also stayed many times in that region of the world so have seen mosquitos there typically at dusk and dawn.

IMO there's less than a one in a billion chance of this being a problem especially if the OP heeds the advise given on this thread.

At the point of booking this cruise over 6 months ago we hadn't even been referred for fertility treatment.

RC has said that if I can PROVE I am pregnant (which we won't know for atleast another week as pregnancy won't show up in tests until after a certain point) then we will receive a full refund from them due to the Foreign Office advising pregnant women not to travel to these areas.

In the case of the insurance who we haven't been able to get any information from about our individual case until their offices are open tomorrow, or spoken with my fertility consultant, we won't know where we stand if we cancel, "take the financial hit" and then claim the money back through our insurance.

It is nice to know that the RCI refund option is available concerning the financial lost if you are pregnant and do decide to cancel.

Honestly the Anthem is a beautiful ship with a great crew and itinerary to experience when cruising. Like I mentioned above it has a fantastic huge completely indoor solarium area along with a great rest of the ship to enjoy when in the ports that you have a Zika virus concerns about.

If you really want to do that cruise and are pregnant I would still do it but with the precautions mentioned in this thread. IMO it would be difficult to find a suitable replacement, both enjoyment and cost wise at this late date. ;)

Edited by robtulipe

For those saying she is overreacting, could you live with yourself if you chose to take a vacation that caused a life changing birth defect to your child? I know I couldn't.

http://www.cdc.gov/zika/pregnancy/question-answers.html

WOW...just WOW...

Better not go outside ever again either....one might get hit by lightning.... :eek:

After all...the odds are about the same... :rolleyes:

I am amazed at the number of posters who think the op can take a risk.

I agree with reallyitsmema that the risk to an unborn fetus/child may be too great for the op to take. She is trying desperately to get pregnant and any risk is too much, in my opinion.

OP you need to do what you feel in your heart is right for you and your potential child.

I wish you well and hope this first treatment is successful.

Edited by luvscruising2007

WOW...just WOW...

Better not go outside ever again either....one might get hit by lightning.... :eek:

Roll your eyes at me all you want, it will not change my opinion. The OP was looking for other people who are facing the same tough decision, I provided her links to other discussions and a link to the CDC.

The odds are, neither your opinion or mine will ever agree, that I would put my money on.

The alert is also for those women trying to get pregnant. If you have verification from your fertility doctor than royal should honor that and let you rebook for another time frame.

The OP doesn't leave for another month.

The OP will know in the next week or so if she is or is not pregnant.

If she is pregnant, she can cancel and RCI will refund her money -- problem solved.

If she is not pregnant, she can go on the cruise as scheduled -- problem solved.

What I don't understand is, why is this thread even being debated at all? PROBLEM IS SOLVED NO MATTER WHAT THE OUTCOME.

Doesn't anyone bother to read?????? :rolleyes:

WOW...just WOW...

The odds are definitely NOT the same. This is a serious virus for newborn babies. In Brazil, in 2014 147 babies were born with mircocephaly. In 2015, 3,700 babies were born with mircocephaly due to the mothers' having contracted zika. That is a dramatic 96% increase. Whereas the chance of getting struck by lightning is 1 in 960,000.

The point is that this is not a risk for yourself, it is a risk for your child. I would follow the CDC orders and not go. There will be plenty more opportunities for vacations in the future.

Both my partner and I got Zika from mozzie bites in Rarotonga (our first island holiday) but we just got a rash all over our bodies and no other symptoms. Not sure how it would affect pregnancy or fertility treatment but I can tell you it's easy to catch so if you are worried then totally avoid the islands.

The OP doesn't leave for another month.

The OP will know in the next week or so if she is or is not pregnant.

If she is pregnant, she can cancel and RCI will refund her money -- problem solved.

If she is not pregnant, she can go on the cruise as scheduled -- problem solved.

What I don't understand is, why is this thread even being debated at all? PROBLEM IS SOLVED NO MATTER WHAT THE OUTCOME.

Doesn't anyone bother to read?????? :rolleyes:

Maybe you need to read my original post again! I am going through fertility treatment which involves taking certain fertility drugs at certain points during the month. I am waiting to find out if the first cycle has been successful, if not I have to take the fertility drugs again on my next cycle which is before we are due to depart. This is not a treatment that can be started and stopped willy nilly. I will be speaking with my fertility consultant tomorrow (Monday) when he is back in the office.

So as you can see brillohead, the problem is not solved.

Maybe you need to read my original post again! I am going through fertility treatment which involves taking certain fertility drugs at certain points during the month. I am waiting to find out if the first cycle has been successful, if not I have to take the fertility drugs again on my next cycle which is before we are due to depart. This is not a treatment that can be started and stopped willy nilly. I will be speaking with my fertility consultant tomorrow (Monday) when he is back in the office.

So as you can see brillohead, the problem is not solved.

Ah, but it is....

You either WILL be pregnant or you MIGHT be pregnant -- both cases in which you should not travel and your doctor should be able to write you a medical excuse for such.

Problem is still solved.

If you're unwilling to skip a single cycle in your treatments, then you're not going to be able to go on the cruise because of the CHANCE that you might conceive on that cycle.

h, but it is....

You either WILL be pregnant or you MIGHT be pregnant -- both cases in which you should not travel and your doctor should be able to write you a medical excuse for such.

Problem is still solved.

If you're unwilling to skip a single cycle in your treatments, then you're not going to be able to go on the cruise because of the CHANCE that you might conceive on that cycle. __________________

She could get pregnant three months from now and still have the virus in her system. I certainly wouldn't take the chance.

To the OP. Good luck. I saw picture of the babies born with the Zika virus and I wouldn't risk it. I am very sorry it timed out this way. I also got pregnant right before I was about to start fertility treatments so you never know (maybe it would happen to you ON the cruise).

WOW...just WOW...

We were walking down the street in San Juan on our cruise last summer--middle of the day, in the city, not a swampy area--when my DH felt a bite on his leg. When we arrived home four days later, his entire leg was infected and we went directly to the ER from the pier.

I think my DH is one in a million, but I doubt those were the odds against him being bitten by something and having the reaction he did.

I think the OP and PPs are exercising good judgment it taking every precaution to avoid being bitten by a mosquito carrying the Zika virus. The results to the child if his DM of contracted this disease are so horrendous that it would seem foolhardy to take such a chance.