Cruise length with kids

sherease23

We didn't cruise with our kids until they were 13 and 16, but did many other vacations with them over the years. I think it would depend on the child. 2 can be a rough age. DD would have been fine, but DS was tough. Wouldn't have liked being left at camp, liked his routine etc. even a shorter trip to Disney and he'd be asking when we were going home after 3 days. Even at 10, some kids can be so tied to electronics etc that they'd be miserable without them. Luckily we didn't have that issue but I have friends that would. I think you're the best judge.

I think if you are going on a line where your 2 year old can participate in camp, then a 7 day is perfect; personally, I waited til my youngest was camp eligible to cruise because chasing him around would not have been relaxing! My kids are now 11 and 17 and have gone on over 10 cruises in the last 9 years and have enjoyed everyone of them, most of which have been 7 days.

We have decided that the shorter cruises, especially out of southern FL are not very "family" oriented - there is just too much of a drink til you drop, party hard cause we only have a long weekend atmosphere, at least on Carnival. Going out of Jax, or Charleston has been more sedate, as well as the Canada cruises - we simply haven't had issues on those even though they were shorter. So for that reason, I like the week long cruises with the kids.

How do your kids do on other vacations that are at least 7 days?Not much different.

We were doing road trips to Mexico when the DDs were infants. A cruise would have been much easier.

Our dd is 4 and been on 5 cruises. She's only done 7, 10, and 14 days. I think the 14 day Panama Canal was her favorite. She was three then but she really got to know the other kids on board and was really sad when we disembarked.

It greatly depends on your kids and your expectations. I'm sure you already know it's not going to be as relaxing as without the kids but we've always had a really great time. When it's shorter than 7 days it's hard to get into the groove and routine of a ship. It also gives you time to get to more ports and have fun at a beach or other excursion. Usually the older ships do the short runs and they don't have as many options for kid activities. Obviously 7 days wasn't too long for us. I'd go for it if I were you. :)

I have a 2 year old and packing for a fortnight isn't much worse than a weekend. We decided to cruise for the longest time would could afford with our daughter. We did 12 days last October. It's was fantastic. I could have stayed a month. She soon got into the ship routine (same waitstaff at night etc) and loved. 7 days would have been fine but any less would have been too stressful. By the time you unpack and get organised it's time to pack again.

Thanks guys. We're going on the miracle in April to the Mexican Riviera. As for the question of whether or not they're usually good on vacations we've actually never had a family vacation this will be our first one. But their both very social kids and very happy kids so I think will do well I just didn't know if you could go stir crazy that long on a cruise. My husband's been on Cruise but I've never had one at all.

In my opinion, at least seven days - the packing and getting to/from and on/off the ship are the worst parts. Kids get into the routine of the ship, so it's nice to have a good chunk of time to enjoy yourselves.

That Mexican Riviera route is great with kids - I did it many times with my twins from 13 months - 8 years old. Very easy to get to a beach or resort, not a lot of running around/sightseeing, just lots of fun.

All the best,

Mia

I did that cruise last April when my son was 19 months. He had a blast on the ship and enjoyed playing at the camp during the open play mornings.

We're going on the 4 day out of LB next month, I'm looking forward to see how he does now that he's old enough to stay in the camp

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk