Norwegian Cruise Line to Move Getaway to Europe, Jade to U.K.

LauraS

why not hamburg? Hamburg is a nice city. i like the one at july the 4th to the north cape.

I have absolutely no problem with Hamburg at all. I very much enjoyed it when we sailed from there on the Escape.

My issue is that Southampton holds absolutely no appeal to me as a port of call. I was expecting to be able to sail from there (transport cost being a train and a cheap hotel) and then have a day in Hamburg as a port of call.

What I now have to do is fly to Hamburg, probably stay for two nights so adding extra transport costs as well as hotels to go on the cruise which effectively ends with three sea days, as one of those is the day in Southampton.

It's made the cruise less attractive to us and added about £500 to the cost. Alternatively, we could just not bother getting back on the ship in Southampton, making it a 8night cruise for the price of 10.

We were originally going to also do the 7night Western Europe trip, which we already knew we couldn't do from Southampton as the dates don't work out, so it now means we have to go from Hamburg twice. To be honest, that other cruise isn't attractive enough to justify a second trip to Hamburg, so we will certainly be finding something else to do on that week.

I'd love to do the one to the North Cape, but it isn't an option due to school holidays. That's why I was so pleased with these new itineraries, as we can finally go to Norway on NCL during holidays. If they had said from the beginning that it would be from Hamburg then that would have been great, but in typical NCL fashion, they offered something and then took it away. At least this time they did it before we had booked.

Edited by KeithJenner

According to the NCL UK News Release (http://www.ncl.co.uk/summer-2017-europe/) there are three cruise itineraries with Southampton as the home port: a 7N Western Europe, a 9N Fjord, and a 4N Mini-Cruise between Southampton and Hamburg. The 7N Western Europe have been posted and they occur in May and August, and September. NCL has also added a 9N Western Europe cruise in September and October. For some reason the 9N Fjord and the 4N Mini have not been posted.

That isn't the press release I've been talking about. This is the one:

http://www.ncl.co.uk/news/article/european-summer-2017-itineraries/

Specifically: "In addition there will be two nine-night cruises to the Norwegian Fjords on 2 and 11 June 2017 with stops in Hamburg as well as Ålesund, Hellesylt, Geiranger, Flåm and Bergen along with a 10-night Norwegian Fjords cruise on 7 August 2017 which also includes a visit to the Orkney Islands."

The 7 August one, which was the only Norway option which is any good for UK customers during school holidays wanting to leave Southampton, never materialised.

Edited by KeithJenner

Oh, I had not seen that news release.

Based on the posted itineraries, the 10N from Southampton on August 7th is now impossible. The Jade is already scheduled to be doing a 10D Fjord cruise from Hamburg commencing on July 30th and will be in Alesund, Norway on August 7th.

Oh, I had not seen that news release.

Based on the posted itineraries, the 10N from Southampton on August 7th is now impossible. The Jade is already scheduled to be doing a 10D Fjord cruise from Hamburg commencing on July 30th and will be in Alesund, Norway on August 7th.

Yes, that's my point.

Once again, NCL manage to take a good idea and find a way to annoy customers with it. I imagine in not the only person who this will affect.

I am just emailing my PCC to see whether there is any rumours of a possible 8 day Hamburg to Southampton option. Adding Southampton as a port of call, which is effectively all NCL have done for the Norway cruises in August is really just an inconvenience.

We will almost certainly just jump ship in Southampton if we do stick with NCL here, so at least if we can do it officially then it will save anyone looking for us and the fare savings could contribute to the Hamburg costs.

It seems the problem is that for the July 30th cruise, they made Southampton an early port, instead of a late port. Had it stopped there on August 7th (being the second last day, as is the case with the June cruises), then there could have been a Southampton Fjord cruise from August 7th to August 17th.

It seems the problem is that for the July 30th cruise, they made Southampton an early port, instead of a late port. Had it stopped there on August 7th (being the second last day, as is the case with the June cruises), then there could have been a Southampton Fjord cruise from August 7th to August 17th.

Yes, that's exactly the problem. I don't know the reason, but the press release was only a couple of weeks ago. I don't understand why their plans start to unravel so quickly.

I notice from their original press release that there was talk of a 8 day Hamburg to Southampton cruise on July 30th. Obviously that is not going to happen either, but it suggests that a potential 9th August Hamburg to Southampton is feasible.

I was hoping to get a booking in whilst the current promo is on, but that's looking less likely now. It doesn't matter hugely, as I'm sure there will be others, but it's frustrating.

I gave up looking. I saw some even have Portland now as a port of call. Half of the Stockholm and Warnemunde are now Nynashamn and Rostock. I can only expect there will be more changes announced.. It's like they stuck a pin in the map and said we will have these stops then checked later if the port was available

Portland was originally announced as a stop on one or two cruises at the end of the season, along with Brest.

Rostock and Warnemunde have previously been different on Star cruises. In practice it really doesn't make much difference to the cruise. Warnemunde is basically a suburb of Rostock, so it's pretty well just using a different dock.

Stockholm is a bigger issue though.

omg :mad::mad::mad:

i saw the price today for the 7 days cruise on the jade more than 1000 eu for inside cabine , and the the 14 days island more than 2000 eu also inside they are getting nuts :confused::confused::confused:

for 2000 eu this summer i will cruise 24 days with hal on a cabine with a balcony !!!

Just a little more info on Stockholm, for those who don't know:

The main post in Stockholm is fairly close to the city centre. It is on the route of the hop on hop off buses and is a fairly short taxi ride into the city centre.

This shows the location of the port in relation to the city. The flag is at the approximate location of the cruise port.

However, one of the highlights of Stockholm (and of the whole of the Baltics) is the sail into Stockholm. This shows the area that you sail through. I don't know the exact route, but it takes a few hours and we really enjoyed it when we went previously.

As I understand it, there are issues with large ships sailing through this area, which was my concern when I heard the Getaway was doing the Baltics. I believe that Princess have only just got permission to take one of their larger ships through. I also believe that it can be dependent on the weather. It is always a risk that you will be diverted away from this port, but for ships like the Star it doesn't happen very often.

I would have hoped that NCL would have considered this before making their decision, but anything is possible these days.

If you can't sail through the Archipelago, you dock at Nynashamn, which is shown here:

If this happens then you get the double whammy of missing the sail through the Archipelago as well as being about 40 miles outside the city. I think you are usually docked for longer through.

Personally, sailing to Nynashamn would be a disappointment equivalent to missing a port. If this was likely then I would probably rather just go somewhere different instead of Stockholm, although others may think that is an overreaction.

It's like they stuck a pin in the map and said we will have these stops then checked later if the port was available

I'm starting to suspect that's not too far from the truth.

I have to say that things like adding Gothenburg as an option may be deliberate, to give people the choice, but others don't seem to have any rhyme nor reason.

I can't think of any reason for the change to Southampton in August other than finding that their original port order didn't work.

The thing is, if they know these things now then surely they could have known them two weeks ago. Once again they seem to have announced before they had finalised things.

I have to say that things like adding Gothenburg as an option may be deliberate, to give people the choice, but others don't seem to have any rhyme nor reason.

I can't think of any reason for the change to Southampton in August other than finding that their original port order didn't work.

The thing is, if they know these things now then surely they could have known them two weeks ago. Once again they seem to have announced before they had finalised things.

And the US press release originally said latitudes priority booking back on the 9th like every other cruise line manages to do. It seems they weren't ready with the details but rather than admit it they've drip fed some bookings.

Your point about Stockholm is very important especially for non Europeans who just see it listed as Stockholm with a port name in brackets. I'm not too fussed as I've worked several months in Stockholm so know that area well! id probably head for my old drinking spot in Gamla Stan !

I owe NCL an apology, as the dust settled quickly. I'm booked on the mid September variation. Now you have me wondering.

I just booked the 9/10/17 sailing..if you also booked that same date would be something as we have a history of picking the same itineraries and dates! We both booked and then canceled the South America 12/16 same date and sailed on the Epic 2015 10/18 ...no 10/19 trip. ;)

I am hoping the price will drop as time goes on as it seems high right now but I am excited to do this itinerary as it will be new for us.

What does this likely mean for 2017 TAs? Any guesses?

I can see Jade's TA Tampa - key west - Miami - lots of sea days - Southampton - sea - Hamburg.

Getaway will have to do a Miami - Copenhagen

They never release the westbound until later in the year but can see Epic has cruises bookable in Med until 5th Nov so she might be staying the winter..

Just a little more info on Stockholm, for those who don't know:

The main post in Stockholm is fairly close to the city centre. It is on the route of the hop on hop off buses and is a fairly short taxi ride into the city centre.

This shows the location of the port in relation to the city. The flag is at the approximate location of the cruise port.

However, one of the highlights of Stockholm (and of the whole of the Baltics) is the sail into Stockholm. This shows the area that you sail through. I don't know the exact route, but it takes a few hours and we really enjoyed it when we went previously.

As I understand it, there are issues with large ships sailing through this area, which was my concern when I heard the Getaway was doing the Baltics. I believe that Princess have only just got permission to take one of their larger ships through. I also believe that it can be dependent on the weather. It is always a risk that you will be diverted away from this port, but for ships like the Star it doesn't happen very often.

I would have hoped that NCL would have considered this before making their decision, but anything is possible these days.

If you can't sail through the Archipelago, you dock at Nynashamn, which is shown here:

If this happens then you get the double whammy of missing the sail through the Archipelago as well as being about 40 miles outside the city. I think you are usually docked for longer through.

Personally, sailing to Nynashamn would be a disappointment equivalent to missing a port. If this was likely then I would probably rather just go somewhere different instead of Stockholm, although others may think that is an overreaction.

Not that it's particularly relevant to this discussion, but I was just looking at the port schedule for this year for our cruise on the Star and I think I got the current port wrong. It's if anything a little closer than the one I showed.

I just wanted to correct myself in case my picture misled anyone.

I can see Jade's TA Tampa - key west - Miami - lots of sea days - Southampton - sea - Hamburg.

Getaway will have to do a Miami - Copenhagen

They never release the westbound until later in the year but can see Epic has cruises bookable in Med until 5th Nov so she might be staying the winter..

I placed a deposit on Getaway today. I'm due off of Harmony on the 29th. Will have to see if I can make both stick.

Sun, Apr 30, 2017 Miami, Florida (EMBARK) --- 4:00 pm

Mon, May 01, 2017 thru Sat, May 06, 2017 At Sea --- ---

Sun, May 07, 2017 Ponta Delgada, Azores 8:00 am 5:00 pm

Mon, May 08, 2017 thru Wed, May 10, 2017 At Sea --- ---

Thu, May 11, 2017 Brest, France 8:00 am 4:00 pm

Fri, May 12, 2017 Southampton (London), England 8:00 am 8:00 pm

Sat, May 13, 2017 Brussels / Bruges, Belgium 10:00 am 7:00 pm

Sun, May 14, 2017 Rotterdam, Netherlands 8:00 am 6:00 pm

Mon, May 15, 2017 At Sea --- ---

Tue, May 16, 2017 Copenhagen, Denmark (DISEMBARK) 8:00 am ---

I placed a deposit on Getaway today. I'm due off of Harmony on the 29th. Will have to see if I can make both stick.

Sun, Apr 30, 2017Miami, Florida (EMBARK)---4:00 pm

Mon, May 01, 2017thru Sat, May 06, 2017At Sea------

Sun, May 07, 2017Ponta Delgada, Azores8:00 am5:00 pm

Mon, May 08, 2017thru Wed, May 10, 2017At Sea------

Thu, May 11, 2017Brest, France8:00 am4:00 pm

Fri, May 12, 2017Southampton (London), England8:00 am8:00 pm

Sat, May 13, 2017Brussels / Bruges, Belgium10:00 am7:00 pm

Sun, May 14, 2017Rotterdam, Netherlands8:00 am6:00 pm

Mon, May 15, 2017At Sea------

Tue, May 16, 2017Copenhagen, Denmark (DISEMBARK)8:00 am---

Thanks. Still nothing loaded on UK site but that looks interesting. I wonder if they'll allow a Miami - Southampton or Southampton - Copenhagen option. In fact a Southampton - Copenhagen b2b with the first 9 day Baltics would be ideal.

Hi keith

Following your research very carefully as we are in the same position looking for school holiday cruises

Was looking at epic transatlantic next april but the cost of 1 way airfare is eyewatering!

How did you manage your airfare back from miami after the escape last year?

If its taking off topic to reply here can you email me at cruisecritic@escomb.org.uk

Lyn

Sent from my GT-P3110 using Forums mobile app

Was looking at epic transatlantic next april but the cost of 1 way airfare is eyewatering!

How did you manage your airfare back from miami after the escape last year?

Skyscanner.net and/or round trip with a return in fall/spring to take another TA crossing might help.

Also check out Air Berlin, Norwegian Air, Iceland Air for good rates across the pond, almost all with a stopover (on the up side: Iceland Air offers longer layovers to visit Iceland).

I have absolutely no problem with Hamburg at all. I very much enjoyed it when we sailed from there on the Escape.

My issue is that Southampton holds absolutely no appeal to me as a port of call. I was expecting to be able to sail from there (transport cost being a train and a cheap hotel) and then have a day in Hamburg as a port of call.

What I now have to do is fly to Hamburg, probably stay for two nights so adding extra transport costs as well as hotels to go on the cruise which effectively ends with three sea days, as one of those is the day in Southampton.

It's made the cruise less attractive to us and added about £500 to the cost. Alternatively, we could just not bother getting back on the ship in Southampton, making it a 8night cruise for the price of 10.

We were originally going to also do the 7night Western Europe trip, which we already knew we couldn't do from Southampton as the dates don't work out, so it now means we have to go from Hamburg twice. To be honest, that other cruise isn't attractive enough to justify a second trip to Hamburg, so we will certainly be finding something else to do on that week.

I'd love to do the one to the North Cape, but it isn't an option due to school holidays. That's why I was so pleased with these new itineraries, as we can finally go to Norway on NCL during holidays. If they had said from the beginning that it would be from Hamburg then that would have been great, but in typical NCL fashion, they offered something and then took it away. At least this time they did it before we had booked.

you book the Cruises out of Southampton. Then you would have a day in Hamburg to enjoy