Trying to book dining - dumb issue (or maybe dumb poster)

Maddysdaddy

Hi all.

I went online last night to try to book a table for 3 at Le Bistro and Teppanyaki (on the Escape), and no matter what day or time I tried to book at, it would only let me book for 2 or 4, and not 3.

I called NCL to see if I was doing something wrong, and they could only book for 2 or 4 as well. They made the bookings for 4 and said that once we boarded, I could change the reservations to 3, which seems silly, but whatever - nothing to get too torqued about.

What did annoy me though, is that I've now had to pay out of pocket for the additional unneeded/unwanted reservations, because they put us over what we had available on the SDP (I booked Moderno as well, which allowed me to book for 3).

I get that it's 'only' a $93 dollar (Canadian) charge on my Visa, but the "This is how it is, and you'll get a refund when you change the reservation onboard" statement by the NCL rep on the phone, when the charge wasn't warranted in the first place, and with NCL having my money until that point, leaves me a bit peeved.

Wondering if anyone else has dealt with this issue before?

Thx.

Hi all.

I went online last night to try to book a table for 3 at Le Bistro and Teppanyaki (on the Escape), and no matter what day or time I tried to book at, it would only let me book for 2 or 4, and not 3.

I called NCL to see if I was doing something wrong, and they could only book for 2 or 4 as well. They made the bookings for 4 and said that once we boarded, I could change the reservations to 3, which seems silly, but whatever - nothing to get too torqued about.

What did annoy me though, is that I've now had to pay out of pocket for the additional unneeded/unwanted reservations, because they put us over what we had available on the SDP (I booked Moderno as well, which allowed me to book for 3).

I get that it's 'only' a $93 dollar (Canadian) charge on my Visa, but the "This is how it is, and you'll get a refund when you change the reservation onboard" statement by the NCL rep on the phone, when the charge wasn't warranted in the first place, and with NCL having my money until that point, leaves me a bit peeved.

Wondering if anyone else has dealt with this issue before?

Thx.

First, a big Lol at your thread title first :) A sense of humor --yay!

I have the same SDP, also three people, same deal (though different ship) with the unable to book for Teppanyaki for 3, so I picked four (with the intention to change it once on board), BUT -- I did it all online and was not charged anything for the reservation for four.

Was it auto charging you online? (not sure if that's why you called or if you called because you wanted the party number to be accurate)

First, a big Lol at your thread title first :) A sense of humor --yay!

I have the same SDP, also three people, same deal (though different ship) with the unable to book for Teppanyaki for 3, so I picked four (with the intention to change it once on board), BUT -- I did it all online and was not charged anything for the reservation for four.

Was it auto charging you online? (not sure if that's why you called or if you called because you wanted the party number to be accurate)

I called in order to see if NCL could book a party of 3 for Le Bistro and Teppanyaki, since I was unable to do so online.

On the call, NCL booked Le Bistro for me over the phone (party of 4), as she said that her system wouldn't let her book for 3.

As I needed to play around with dinner days and times for Moderno and Teppanyaki, I told the agent that I would make those reservations online, and was told about the additional charges to my Visa, in response to my question about what would happen since I was exceeding the 9 meals on the SDP (3 people x 3 days).

I went back online and booked dinner for 3 at Moderno, and dinner for 4 at Teppanyaki (as 3 wasn't an option), and had to pay in order to confirm the reservations.

I called in order to see if NCL could book a party of 3 for Le Bistro and Teppanyaki, since I was unable to do so online.

On the call, NCL booked Le Bistro for me over the phone (party of 4), as she said that her system wouldn't let her book for 3.

As I needed to play around with dinner days and times for Moderno and Teppanyaki, I told the agent that I would make those reservations online, and was told about the additional charges to my Visa, in response to my question about what would happen since I was exceeding the 9 meals on the SDP (3 people x 3 days).

I went back online and booked dinner for 3 at Moderno, and dinner for 4 at Teppanyaki (as 3 wasn't an option), and had to pay in order to confirm the reservations.

Odd, I wonder if it was timing or different ship that permitted me to book for 4 (and not pay anything) and not you.

I have the 4 dinner SDP for two people promo -- we are booked in three restaurants (as a party of three) and one (teppanyaki) as a party of four. That puts me officially over the limit for the SDP, yet I was not charged, not for any of it.

I wonder if my rezzies will remain.

If the person booking has SDP, you should have been able to book for up to 8 with no charge, if doing it online. The only reason you'd be charged anything is if you booked, say, 4 meals when you only have the 3 meal SDP. In that case, you'd be charged for prebooking the 4th meal.

For what it's worth, I've always booked for 3 for specialties, but I've always done it the day reservations open. No clue if that makes a difference or not, but it's probably tied to availability.

What I understand happened was because Le Bistro and Teppanyaki would only accept reservations for 4 people, it meant that I was booking 11 meals (4+4+3 at Moderno) when the SDP only covered 9, so I was charged for meals 10 and 11.

I just checked my email from a NCL and Le Bistro, Teppanyaki and the 1st person at Moderno show up as $0, and the other two were charged for the Moderno dinner.

Edited by Maddysdaddy

I've heard people mention before on here that you can only make reservations for an even number of people, so your problem there is certainly not unique.

I have only ever tried it once (Moderno on the Escape) and had no problem booking for three of us. That was outside of any dining package though, if that makes a difference.

I cant book for 3 either. Think its a them issue not a us issue. Guess I will take chances and book when on the ship. I dont want to run around cancelling reservations or being charged for meals we dont eat.

There are 4 in our stateroom - 2 adults, 2 children. We have purchased a SDP for 2 adults for 4 meals. Grandparents traveling with us in a different room. I was able to make 4 dining reservations for 6 for 4 nights. Not charged for a thing.

Have had quite a time trying to book LeBistro for our cruise in April. I did it last week and it showed Confirmed, but when I checked MYNCL today, the dinner reservation for 6 was gone. So I tried again, same date, same time, same # of diners. Again showed as confirmed. I got back on later & just decided to check the dinner reservation again to make sure and it had dissappeared again!:eek:

Called Tech Support to see what the problem is. I know I've read on other threads issues with making reservations online. The girl told me NCL is having problems on the website and would enter reservation for us, and told me to go in and check...it was there one minute and...you guessed it... GONE !! She said she'd enter it in one more time--now it shows a dinner reservation for just 1 person at 5:30. I'm about ready to give up...:(

It is definitely them and not us!

I have also had this issue with dining as well. When I was 90 days out I booked my restaurants and then I tried to change them last week. Once I removed a restaurant to swap it with another it charged me for the reservation. NCL stated its trying to use my Illusionarium reservation as one of my meals (but I've already paid for it in full). Ill have to fix it once I board the ship.

Edited by BigBertha81

I've been trying to book (2 people) for our included 4 dinners and our 2 Platinum Le Bistro dinners, and nothing that I have tried has worked.

Went through, selected date and time, put in shopping cart, went to pay and nothing happened.

Perhaps because they were no charge?

Will be calling tomorrow. 866-234-7350.

gary

I'm saddened that everyone (at least in this thread) seems to be having problems as well, but happy to know that my issues apparently aren't because of something that I did incorrectly.

And since I'm talking about emotions (my therapist would be so proud ;)), I am frustrated that the NCL dinner reservation system is so poorly designed that even NCL employees can't make a reservation for 3 instead of 4, and I'm annoyed that I'm out of pocket $90 for a phantom 4th diner.

I know - build a bridge and get over it - but it seems like such a silly and easily fixable problem...

I'm annoyed that I'm out of pocket $90 for a phantom 4th diner.

I know - build a bridge and get over it - but it seems like such a silly and easily fixable problem...

You're not alone in your frustration either. Build a big enough bridge and we might all get over it however, I doubt NCL would allow that bridge anywhere near their IT department :p

They've been having problems with their website ever since they brought the new one online a few years ago. Poor design doesn't even begin to explain the problems. They need to redo the whole website design .... IMO.

I've been trying to book (2 people) for our included 4 dinners and our 2 Platinum Le Bistro dinners, and nothing that I have tried has worked.

Went through, selected date and time, put in shopping cart, went to pay and nothing happened.90 days

Perhaps because they were no charge?

Will be calling tomorrow. 866-234-7350.

gary

You should be able to book your promo SDP dinners 100 days if in a suite,

90 days if in a regular cabin. That seems to be a problem for many right now so either wait a bit or call.

Unfortunately, your Platinum dinner vouchers will not show up online but will be in your stateroom when you arrive. You should have no problem making the reservations simply by calling the reservations number in your cabin.

Enjoy your dinners

I had the same problem last year on our NCL cruise. I was under the impression that if I made a reservation for 4 and was charged the extra, the credit would be given back to me as an onboard credit. I didn't want the OBC since we had UDP & UBP as perks so I waited til we boarded to make my reservations for just the 3 of us. We had no problems getting the restaurants or times we wanted. We walked on the ship and went directly to the dining reservations desk. We were on the spring break cruise of Getaway so it was very crowded.

So, long story short, you may want to double check that the credit is on your card and not an OBC, if you care!