Help me decide balcony or ocean view on the Gem

New2cruise1483

So we already have cruise booked on November 13 on the Gem out of Puerto Rico, and we have an aft balcony booked for this cruise (our first cruise not in a suite so this is going to be a BIG adjustment for us lol :D). We've decided to turn this trip into a B2B, and book a cruise for the 6th out of PR. So for this additional cruise I'm trying to decide on an Ocean view or a balcony. The price difference is about $800.

I'm looking at deck 8 cabins and am worried about that deck having extra foot traffic and being nosier, does anybody have any input on this? I'm not talking about the aft balconies on this deck, I've read enough to know better lol. I'm also having a hard time booking a cruise without a balcony, but like the idea of a cheaper cabin since this is a spur of the moment cruise. Looking forward to everybodys' input! :)

Personally I don't get oceanview cabins because I don't see a huge benefit to them. If I'm going for cheap I get an inside, if I have the budget for a balcony I get that. I think the big factor is how that $800 fits into your budget. If you sprung for the balcony, how much if any would you need to cut back on other things? How would that change your enjoyment of the cruise?

Friends of ours had cabins (3) on Deck 8 last July and had no problems . My wife and I will be on Deck 8 on the Gem next month.

As far as booking a Balcony or an Outside .I prefer a Balcony and my wife pregers an Outside ,therefore we normally book an Outside.:)

However,if we are doing a summer cruise to a warm climate we will nearly always book a Balcony.

We have had both types of cabins on different decks, including deck 8. Never had any problems with noise. We do prefer balcony over OV because we like the little extra room plus you have your own outside space for when you are in the warmer climates. But you have to choose what is best for your liking and your budget.

Well do to trying to save money since this is a B2B, we went with an obstructed ocean view on deck 8. First time without a balcony and first time not in a suite how will we ever survive!:eek::D.

LOL you won't. Trust me, you are going to regret it. Especially changing cabins and downsizing from an aft balcony to an oceanview.

LOL you won't. Trust me, you are going to regret it. Especially changing cabins and downsizing from an aft balcony to an oceanview.

Actually we have an ocean view the first week and the aft balcony the second week lol. I'm hoping that maybe the prices will drop and I can score a balcony later lol

Well do to trying to save money since this is a B2B, we went with an obstructed ocean view on deck 8. First time without a balcony and first time not in a suite how will we ever survive!:eek::D.

We usually have a suite in winter and balcony in summer...I don't think I could do an inside/porthole cabin!:eek:

• 2 weeks later...
Friends of ours had cabins (3) on Deck 8 last July and had no problems . My wife and I will be on Deck 8 on the Gem next month.

As far as booking a Balcony or an Outside .I prefer a Balcony and my wife pregers an Outside ,therefore we normally book an Outside.:)

However,if we are doing a summer cruise to a warm climate we will nearly always book a Balcony.

Same with us...just the other way around! :D;)

I would not cruise without a balcony unless I am on a very strict budget.

IMHO, If you never had a balcony, you might not miss it.

If you ever cruised with a balcony, it would be very hard to cruise without one. :)

I hope I am never on a very strict budget when I cruise! :D

Don

I was going to say, that the only outside stateroom I would stay away from is an obstructed view on deck 8. My family stayed in an obstructed view on deck 8 on the Dawn, and the issue we had was that the cabins are set further back into the hull due to the lifeboats hanging outside. This puts the hallway on deck 9 right over the cabin, and I could not believe the noise from children running down the hallway, sometimes very late into the night. Of course this may not even be an issue for you or on your cruise, but I swore we would not book one of those room again if set back in the hull, and it looks like the Gem is the same design.

Edited by darrengs

Personally, I like the Deck 8 obstructed view cabins on the Jewel Class Ships.

I've stayed in a couple different ones. To be honest, you may want to stay away from the ones closest to the Atrium if you are concerned with noise.

I haven't been on Gem yet, only Jewel and Pearl. But the Atrium is a location where they have singers/duo/band and other activities. The cabins, like the one I posted pics of in the link below were right next to the atrium. Now from my experience, the music and activities generally ended around midnight, so it was not a problem, but if we would go back to the cabin for whatever reason prior to activities ending, we could hear said activities. No problems for us in the mornings. Just those evenings and our schedule kept us out of cabin in evenings, so not a problems for us.

I was in Cabin 8094.

Here is a link to pics I posted in a Thread on Obstructed OV cabins a couple years ago. PS, these pics are the sideways type, which I really like

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showt...ighlight=jewel

I've also stayed in EVERY type of Cabin. Inside, OV, obstructed View, balcony and Haven Suite. I stay based on my budget for the trip I'm planning. Would love Haven every time, but that is just not in our cards every trip. it's a special treat at times

Edited by djmess

So we already have cruise booked on November 13 on the Gem out of Puerto Rico, and we have an aft balcony booked for this cruise (our first cruise not in a suite so this is going to be a BIG adjustment for us lol :D). We've decided to turn this trip into a B2B, and book a cruise for the 6th out of PR. So for this additional cruise I'm trying to decide on an Ocean view or a balcony. The price difference is about $800.

I'm looking at deck 8 cabins and am worried about that deck having extra foot traffic and being nosier, does anybody have any input on this? I'm not talking about the aft balconies on this deck, I've read enough to know better lol. I'm also having a hard time booking a cruise without a balcony, but like the idea of a cheaper cabin since this is a spur of the moment cruise. Looking forward to everybodys' input! :)

our adult kids stayed in a balcony on deck 8 and were very happy with it.

Being that you are used to a suite i would do the balcony instead of ocean View, which by the way Im sure are nice, but i like to have at least a balcony to go out on if we are not in a suite.

If my link posted above doesn't work. Let me try again

The first set of photos I posted are of an accessible cabin on Deck 8, The next set are the cabin I was in Cabin 8094 Obstructed OV sideways cabin

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1853399&highlight=jewel

Edited by djmess