Tip - Leave your phone in Airplane Mode

CanadianBurger

I accidentally left my phone on and 3 texts messages beeped before I realized what was happening. I think the charge from Sprint was $34. Two of text messages were from the library reminding I had overdue books! Irony!

You better dump Sprint.

Text are (onboard/international) .50 each for AT&T.

Incoming text are free.

Edited by Colo Cruiser

I do the same thing. Turn on in free Wi-Fi connect zone to check email and never use the telephone. Easier than carrying tablet or some similar device while in port. My android also has a great camera which means we only carry one camera with us. Lightens the load while touring. :D The other method that some people do if you have an unlocked phone is to purchase a SIM card for the locale you are travelling through. We are considering doing this while we are in Australia if we can find one service provider that is available in the entire country as we will be on a circumnavigation cruise.

I did that when land vacationing in India. Much cheaper. :)

You better dump Sprint.

Text are (onboard/international) .50 each for AT&T.

Incoming text are free.

You should dump AT&T. Verizon charges 0.05 for incoming texts and 0.50 for outgoing texts. However, Verizon does not charge you connect charges unless you answer the call. IOW, you can screen your calls for free. If you doctor calls, you can answer. If not, just let it go. No charge.

The new upgrades to iPhones have a feature that you may want to disable. Don't get me wrong, it is good to turn off data, but this "new mousetrap" (feature) is called wifi assist. It will turn on your data in low reception areas even if you have manually turned it off. You need to turn off the wifi assist feature to insure that you aren't connected to data usage.

You probably just saved me. I thought all I needed was Airplane Mode. I've got unlimited data service so I've already turned WiFi Assist off. The other thing I learned about this week was Wifi Calling (Sprint). It's free to make calls from, to and between US, US Virgin Islands, and Puerto Rico numbers. You can call or message from anywhere you have a Wi-Fi connection at no extra charge. Wi-Fi Calling is also available in Airplane Mode so no worries about remembering to turn it on and off. We cruise in 4 weeks. Good things to know!

Edited by DISCruiser2009

You should dump AT&T. Verizon charges 0.05 for incoming texts and 0.50 for outgoing texts. However, Verizon does not charge you connect charges unless you answer the call. IOW, you can screen your calls for free. If you doctor calls, you can answer. If not, just let it go. No charge.

Not if Sprint charges $34 for 3 text messages.

Read post #12. ;)

Edited by Colo Cruiser

I got caught with BIG roaming charges on my last cruise. I always used to have data roaming turned off until.....

Rogers in Canada introduced Roam Like Home, a program that charges a small flat daily fee for data roaming in the U.S. and Caribbean.

What I didn't realize until it was too late was that the data out on the water is Maritime data and that isn't covered.

Great thread. Thank you for this.

I have the free texts and slow data with Sprint in many countries and used it in Mexico, but I forgot to shut off after we left port. When the texts came in, they went through the ship's phone system, at least that is what they said. They credited me when I played dumb. I use the free texts in many countries, but I have to remember to shut it off as we leave port.

I don't know about everyone else but I go on vacation to shut my phone off lol

I use my phone for everything but a phone! It's my camera, my notepad, my calendar, my clock and my flashlight. Also it enables me to check our onboard charges and get most of the info in the Princess Patter.

Cheers, Denise

I use my phone for everything but a phone! It's my camera, my notepad, my calendar, my clock and my flashlight. Also it enables me to check our onboard charges and get most of the info in the Princess Patter.

Cheers, Denise

Multipurpose phone devices are a necessity for many of us today. I can appreciate you using one device instead of five.

What does spring have to do with anything its still winter. :confused:

Don't be a bully.

Unnecessary, demeaning comment.

Edited by redtogo
Autocorrection error

The default setting for WiFi Assist is "on". It is a new feature with the update that I received in November or December. It was still in place with the 9.2.1 which I received this week.

Even if I turn my data off, WiFi Assist can turn data back on if WiFi Assist is in the on position. People reported huge data overages because they weren't aware of the new feature.

Wow, did not know this, thanks!

I have traveled all over Europe, Central America and soon South America. I haven't paid a dime on land to use my phone to text,post or telephone. Leave your phone on airplane mode and turn the wifi on and off as needed. When eating ask if they have free high speed internet. On the ship I get a free internet package I have never gone over. If you need to stay in instant contact don't leave home. All I can that would suck. I just had my daughter travel around the world for 6 months. I was able to stay in touch with better than I do at home