Wishful thinking - paid upgrade - hold off checking in ?

Am hoping to get the opportunity of paying for a upgrade on my First Ever Cruise on Royal at the end of next month.(normally we are loyal to Celebrity only)if the price drops - would love to spoil my partner with a Suite !!

Does it make a difference if I am already checked in? Or should I hold off checking in til the week prior to departure in the hope we get a chance to pay for an upgrade ?

Appreciate any tips....

Hoping for an upgrade is a shot in the dark. The last few cruises I have gone on have been loaded with Pinnacle status people. 700+ points. They will get the best upgrades... I am D+ with about 300 points and it has been a few years since I have gotten an upgrade. You might get lucky but don't expect it.

Hoping for an upgrade is a shot in the dark. The last few cruises I have gone on have been loaded with Pinnacle status people. 700+ points. They will get the best upgrades... I am D+ with about 300 points and it has been a few years since I have gotten an upgrade. You might get lucky but don't expect it.

I suspect very few people, even 700+ points, are getting free upgrades anymore.

I suspect very few people, even 700+ points, are getting free upgrades anymore.

We received our very first upgrade ever in 10 years for our next cruise. We are D+, had a D1 and went to JS. One Pinnacle with an D1 aft cabin did not get an upgrade. We were center hump balcony, as did two other D+ that were in center hump cabins. Location? Upgrade fairy into the rum and shooting at a dart board??!! ;)

Whichever the case. I am one happy cruiser! :D

Edited by island lady

We received our very first upgrade ever in 10 years for our next cruise. We are D+, had a D1 and went to JS. One Pinnacle with an D1 aft cabin did not get an upgrade. We were center hump balcony, as did two other D+ that were in center hump cabins. Location? Upgrade fairy into the rum and shooting at a dart board??!! ;)

Did you have your upgrade preferences set to "automatic"? I'm thinking that if you have it set to "call before upgrade", your priority goes down under those set to fully automatic.

Did you have your upgrade preferences set to "automatic"? I'm thinking that if you have it set to "call before upgrade", your priority goes down under those set to fully automatic.

Yes, I was set to automatic, which I will change to "do not upgrade" after our cruise later in February, since we have a B2B on our Alaska cruise in my favorite cabin on Radiance, 9256 for both legs.

Yes, I was set to automatic, which I will change to "do not upgrade" after our cruise later in February, since we have a B2B on our Alaska cruise in my favorite cabin on Radiance, 9256 for both legs.

I just reset our preference to automatic, as an experiment. Normally, I would want to OK any stateroom change, but I'm not picky about the next cruise.

Am hoping to get the opportunity of paying for a upgrade on my First Ever Cruise on Royal at the end of next month.(normally we are loyal to Celebrity only)if the price drops - would love to spoil my partner with a Suite !!

Does it make a difference if I am already checked in? Or should I hold off checking in til the week prior to departure in the hope we get a chance to pay for an upgrade ?

Appreciate any tips....

As an answer to the OP's question, it makes no difference when you check-in. Normally, if you watch prices from about a week before final payment to about 30 days before sailing you may be able to snag a decent paid upgade.

We have never booked a JS but have had cheap upgrades to a JS on numerous occations.

I normally book an outside (the lowest we are happy to sail in) and upgrade whenever we can. We have been able to pay for an upgrade on about 75% of our cruises.

Pete

As an answer to the OP's question, it makes no difference when you check-in. Normally, if you watch prices from about a week before final payment to about 30 days before sailing you may be able to snag a decent paid upgade.

We have never booked a JS but have had cheap upgrades to a JS on numerous occations.

I normally book an outside (the lowest we are happy to sail in) and upgrade whenever we can. We have been able to pay for an upgrade on about 75% of our cruises.

Pete

I guess that depends on how much u paid for your outside / ocean view balcony cabin because I am 37 days away from my saildate and the JS price is two times what I paid for my cabin. I paid less than what a central park balcony currently costs... which, don't get me wrong, I'm happy for... but I've never even been close to upgrading to a suite. The lowest price shown in *************** in the history of this saildate for JS is still like $800 more than what I paid. :/

I just reset our preference to automatic, as an experiment. Normally, I would want to OK any stateroom change, but I'm not picky about the next cruise.

Shhhh...don't tell anyone Bob ;). I did not like the cabin location they gave me on the upgrade....yup, I looked a gift horse in the mouth. :eek:

When I saw another JS come up in a location I preferred, I called D+ desk and asked to

to be switched. No problemo!

Shhhh...don't tell anyone Bob ;). I did not like the cabin location they gave me on the upgrade....yup, I looked a gift horse in the mouth. :eek:

When I saw another JS come up in a location I preferred, I called D+ desk and asked to

to be switched. No problemo!

I like the way you think.:)