any hidden fees when settling account by credit card on Carnival ships?

korky1

My husband is paranoid and always insists on paying our account in cash on the last night of any cruise. We are on Carnival Legend again in a few weeks. Can anyone confirm that there is no hidden charges when settling your account by CC? For example, if our final account is $500, then that is the amount that will be debited to our MasterCard.

Thanks

My husband is paranoid and always insists on paying our account in cash on the last night of any cruise. We are on Carnival Legend again in a few weeks. Can anyone confirm that there is no hidden charges when settling your account by CC? For example, if our final account is $500, then that is the amount that will be debited to our MasterCard.

Thanks

i havent cruised with Carnival but going by this you could be hit with some fees, maybe someone who has cruised with Carnival will confirm

https://help.carnival.com.au/app/answers/detail/a_id/2569/related/1

Cruise Ticket contract

http://www.carnival.com.au/au-legal-notice/ticket-contract.aspx

24. ONBOARD ACCOUNT

If credit/debit card method of payment is selected, a card processing fee and the total amount of charges incurred by those authorized will be billed to the credit/debit card provided; the card processing fee is non-refundable, due at account opening, and the equivalent of 1.5% of the total amount of charges incurred on board. Once onboard, credit/debit card spending will be authorized with your issuing bank and balance holds may be taken up to the amount of purchases plus the corresponding 1.5% card processing fee; some banks may hold these for up to 30 days and this will reduce the amount of funds available on your credit/debit card account. The cardholder is responsible for amended charges discovered after the authorized guest(s) disembarks the vessel. Account owners have access to view a current statement of charges via the Sail & Sign Kiosk, Interactive TV System (IATV), or by requesting a printed copy at the Guest Services Desk.

By agreeing to the set-up requirements of your cash-based Sail and Sign account, you acknowledge that, unless specifically requested, you will not receive on the last day of the cruise a refund of any cash overage in your account that is AUD 5.00 or less. Of course, if you wish to receive a refund of the cash overage amount of AUD5.00 or less, you can retrieve it directly or submit an email to SSRefunds@carnival.com. While on board, guests may cash out at any time via our conveniently located Sail & Sign Kiosks. Cash refunds, not collected onboard, will be paid out to the account owner via check payable in Australian dollars. Mailed cash refunds are subject to a shipping and handling fee of AUD 3.00, which will be automatically deducted from the refund due; net payments will be processed no later than 30 days of settlement and mailed to the address of record provided at the time of booking.

- See more at: http://www.carnival.com.au/au-legal-notice/ticket-contract.aspx#sthash.Zu4QRAyE.dpuf

https://help.carnival.com.au/app/answers/detail/a_id/2569/related/1

What are the additional charges and holds I can see on my Credit Card/Bank account?

When using credit or debit cards, we obtain pre-authorisations from your bank to determine you have adequate funds to pay your account at the end of the cruise. Some banks (not Carnival) hold these for up to 30 days.

During your cruise additional holds will be added if your Sail & Sign account exceeds the amount of deposit Carnival has on file.

Note, if you presented a credit card, this will reduce the amount available on your credit card for other purchases. If you presented a debit/cheque cashing card, the hold will restrict the available cash in your checking account.

All charges will be billed to the credit card or debit/check cashing card at the end of the cruise. Please note that Carnival Cruise Line will not be held responsible for any bank-imposed overage or insufficient funds charged on debit or credit cards.

A service fee may apply if you use a Visa, MasterCard or AMEX card. If a service fee applies it will also be displayed onboard.

ATM facilities are available onboard.

• 1 month later...

24. ONBOARD ACCOUNT

If credit/debit card method of payment is selected, a card processing fee and the total amount of charges incurred by those authorized will be billed to the credit/debit card provided; the card processing fee is non-refundable, due at account opening, and the equivalent of 1.5% of the total amount of charges incurred on board.

Sorry to dredge up this oldish thread, but does anyone know what the card processing fee is? I recall the 1.5% fee on total charges from our previous cruise, but don't remember seeing a card processing fee.

TIA

Sorry to dredge up this oldish thread, but does anyone know what the card processing fee is? I recall the 1.5% fee on total charges from our previous cruise, but don't remember seeing a card processing fee.

TIA

I'm reading that as saying the 1.5% is the card processing fee, not two separate things.

I know they take holds and those holds can stick around awhile, making people think they've been overcharged when they haven't.

I just put cash on my account, I dislike any nasty surprises!!

I'm reading that as saying the 1.5% is the card processing fee, not two separate things.

Ah! I see. It does depend on how you read it. I think I got confused by the bit where it says the account processing fee is due when the account is opened. I read it as separate from the 1.5% fee, when they are actually the same thing. Clear as mud :D

Thanks for your help. Maybe I'll just use cash next time too, and save any hassle.

Just the 1.5% card fee added to your total. So if your total bill was $500, total charged to your card would be $507.50.

A mere drop in the ocean. sic.

Now don't forget the gratuities to those poor souls flogging their guts out on the ships.

Edited by NSWP

Carnival Australia doesn't have gratuities, but I leave a cash one anyway :)

Well thank you, I was on Carnival Spirit back in 2005, Hawaii - Alaska. Full of Americans then of course, auto tips, the lot, and non negotiable.

No doubt tips included but hidden in the fare on Spirit and Legend in OZ, like Sun/Sea/Dawn/Golden/Diamond Princesses, Carnival is not going to pay the full service crew wage from their profits, pax have to pay something, I call it the Automatic Wage Subsidy (AWS) for that is what it is.

Edited by NSWP