Over the door organzier

JABrown104

I've thought about this one since so many people are on opposite sides. I think the issue comes down to cabin size. Inside etc. have a much smaller bathroom. Those people can probably use one since there is minimal counter space since the bathroom is tiny. Let's face it. You go in the bathroom and you can turn around and touch everything without hardly moving.

I don't use one and have no use for one. I now always sail in a mini suite. I did my time in small cabins and have moved up and don't feel the need to go back. My mini suite has a big counter with storage under the sink and storage above. My cabin has more counter and cupboard storage and we have never filled it all up.

Did this over the door thing, didn't make my life better.

What I do like is my magnetic clips. The cabin walls are metal, so magnets stick to them. Increases the usable real estate in a small cabin when you can use the walls to put your stuff. I bring magnetic business clips from Staples. I can clip the daily ship newsletter up on the wall, plus any reminders. You can also hang a hat or sunglasses, anything light, off them.

Did this over the door thing, didn't make my life better.

What I do like is my magnetic clips. The cabin walls are metal, so magnets stick to them. Increases the usable real estate in a small cabin when you can use the walls to put your stuff. I bring magnetic business clips from Staples. I can clip the daily ship newsletter up on the wall, plus any reminders. You can also hang a hat or sunglasses, anything light, off them.

Yes....Magnetic wall clips for the walls are great and I wish I had brought more on the last cruise.

If you're going in Carnival, don't bring one unless you have one without hooks. They recently were banned due to damaging the walls/doors

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Banned on Disney, too and I suspect at least a few other lines as well.

Used to use one years ago, both because it made packing/unpacking so easy (it was a self-contained bag - just unzip and hang up, everything was already organized) and because storage was not what it seems to be nowadays. Also, I pack a lot less than I once did - cruises are not nearly as formal or dressy as they once were, and I have come to realize that (especially while on vacation) neither are we! lol

I've thought about this one since so many people are on opposite sides. I think the issue comes down to cabin size. Inside etc. have a much smaller bathroom. Those people can probably use one since there is minimal counter space since the bathroom is tiny. Let's face it. You go in the bathroom and you can turn around and touch everything without hardly moving.

I don't use one and have no use for one. I now always sail in a mini suite. I did my time in small cabins and have moved up and don't feel the need to go back. My mini suite has a big counter with storage under the sink and storage above. My cabin has more counter and cupboard storage and we have never filled it all up.

Nope. It's not about cabin size - it's about individual people and their packing / organizing habits, as well as their cruising styles. I stay in Suites - Ocean Suites and Vista Suites on Carnival, and so far, a Grand Suite on RCI. And I use a large over-the-door organizer. I hang it on the inside of one of the closet doors, not the bathroom. I don't use it for toiletries, but for many other small items. I am an unabashed overpacker and neat-freak, and having all those clear pockets in one place helps bring order to my surroundings, and thus, more peace and happiness to my cruise.:) It really is just one more case of to each his own.

How many actually use the over the door organizer? From what I can tell from pictures there are storage selves on the mirror in the bathrooms.

Like so much other unnecessary "camping" junk some folks bring, there's no need for these. There's plenty of storage on even the most barely furnished ship cabin for truly necessary things.

Sure, there's no need for most of the stuff I bring on a cruise. But I don't 'rough it' when cruising. I cruise out of a drive-to port, and am quite happy to have lots of clothing (and shoes:D) options, as well as many other things that make my vacation more comfortable and enjoyable, and a few of those 'just in case' items.

Everyone has their own cruisng and packing style, and mine is never going to be minimalist. Others like to stick to the basics and pride themselves on getting everything they need for a week-long cruise into just one carry-on. That's great for them, but wouldn't be satisfactory for me. I'll continue to pack my over-the-door organizer and all the stuff in it, and anything else I want for my comfort and enjoyment. After all, I'm not backpacking the Appalachian trail, I'm vacationing in a suite on a giant cruisehip.:cool:

There are non damaging hooks that stick to walls or doors and you just stretch the sticky to remove it. Comes in 3lb....5lb and 10lb. I use to 3 lb hooks and leaves no holes or sticky residue.

Sometimes those sticky tapes work great, other times not so much. Just removed one from my wall (was only there a week) and the paint came right off with it! The wall was painted several years ago, so it's not fresh paint.

They make me nervous, so I used suction cup hooks that "lock" in to place on our recent cruise. I only hung hats and lanyards etc on them, but have used them in the past for organizers.

If you're going in Carnival, don't bring one unless you have one without hooks. They recently were banned due to damaging the walls/doors

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you want to use an over-the-door organizer, there's an easy way to keep the door from being damaged. Just cover the hooks with a little bit of duct tape. ;)

I like to hang it out on the outside of the bathroom door, using the over-the-door hooks that come with the organizer. My hooks have never scratched the door paint, but if that's a concern, covering them with tape as an earlier poster mentioned would work just fine.

By having it on the outside of the bathroom, it's accessible to the person getting dressed / made up out in the bedroom while the other person is in the shower.

I use it for lotions, sunscreen, hair brushes and accessories (I have very long and thick hair, so I travel with a HUGE amount of hairclips, ponytail elastics, hairpins, and hairsticks), jewelry, makeup, sunglasses, hats, etc. -- all things I need access to in the room itself, not the bathroom. The only things that I keep in the bathroom are things that are only used inside the bathroom -- bodywash and conditioner and razor in the shower, toothbrush and toothpaste and contact lenses/saline in the mirror cabinet.

Yes, I *could* store all those things in various drawers and cubbies in the bathroom, vanity, and closet, but then I'd have to go hunting and searching for everything when I wanted it.

This way, no matter which ship I'm on or what type of room I'm in, I always know exactly where my sunglasses can be found. Or my excursion information. Or my Meet & Mingle invitation. Or my sunscreen. Or my hairbrush. Or my jewelry. Or my nail clippers / nailfile. Or my sunhat. (And just as importantly, my son always knows without having to ask me or tear the place apart looking for something!)

Do you HAVE to have a hanging organizer? Absolutely not. Is it possible that one could greatly simplify your existence on the ship? Absolutely.

It's just your own personal preference.

If you want to use an over-the-door organizer, there's an easy way to keep the door from being damaged. Just cover the hooks with a little bit of duct tape. ;)

But I wonder if they would still allow it?

I am going on my 11th cruise and finally broke down and purchased one of these...I am very excited at all the uses for this! Thanks to all that posted ideas.

I know this will be a good item for the 2 of us because we bombard the 'vanity' area in the cabin with all our girly stuff. We will hang this up near the vanity and prob won't need one in the bathroom because there are so many cubbies in there to put stuff.

I was also thinking this might be a good idea to put on the actual door so that when we leave for the day, we know where the watch, camera, sunscreen, daily flyer, and room keys are....love it!

Me the girls love to use those fun wristlets to match our dining outfits so this would also be good if you are sharing items with others in the cabin...

I was also thinking this might be a good idea to put on the actual door so that when we leave for the day, we know where the watch, camera, sunscreen, daily flyer, and room keys are....love it!

If you're thinking of getting one for the room door, you should probably plan on using the bigger Command Hooks (with the easily-removable adhesive that you stretch out) for mounting it. I'm not sure there's enough clearance between the door and the doorframe for the hooks.

(There might be plenty of room, but best to have Command Hooks as a Plan B just in case. When I have an inside cabin, I don't get ANY light through the door frame from the hallway at night .... the room is PITCH BLACK. So if there's not room for light, there might not be room for a metal hook. ;))

If you're thinking of getting one for the room door, you should probably plan on using the bigger Command Hooks (with the easily-removable adhesive that you stretch out) for mounting it. I'm not sure there's enough clearance between the door and the doorframe for the hooks.

(There might be plenty of room, but best to have Command Hooks as a Plan B just in case. When I have an inside cabin, I don't get ANY light through the door frame from the hallway at night .... the room is PITCH BLACK. So if there's not room for light, there might not be room for a metal hook. ;))

Which is exactly why they were banned to start with. Doors & door frames onboard ships have very little clearance (think watertight). The hooks going over the door, aside from scratching the doors and frames, can cause warping when forced to close with something in the way.

You damage it, you pay for it.

Which is exactly why they were banned to start with. Doors & door frames onboard ships have very little clearance (think watertight). The hooks going over the door, aside from scratching the doors and frames, can cause warping when forced to close with something in the way.

You damage it, you pay for it.

I've never had a problem with the bathroom door having clearance, though.