Excel Class - Carnival's next ship?

Honolulu Blue

I'm recently off the Triumph as it took a journey through much of the Caribbean. I had a grand old time, though this post isn't primarily about that.

At one of the morning shows, our Hotel Director stopped by. He mentioned Vista's sister (still no name yet) is still a go for 2018. He also mentioned something about a new class of ship that's due to be ready in 2020 - the Excel class. The only thing I remember he mentioned about it was that it would be slightly larger than the Vista and Sista (5000 max passengers vs. 4500 for Vista). This is news to me, and I try to follow all the press releases and such for Carnival. Was there was something I missed? I would appreciate links. Thank you very much.

New to me

Once upon a time they said Dream class would be largest one for Carnival and than along comes Vista. Wondering how crowded that will feel.

True, but it near as large as the new RCCL or COSTA ships. As long as I don't see amusement parks I am happy.

I loved the Breeze which is a Dream class ship.. but I prefer smaller... like the Liberty... or even better...spirit class...

Sadly, I strongly doubt you will see anything like a Spirit class ship again for Carnival. You could always sail on HAL which still gets them (m0re or less).

Once upon a time they said Dream class would be largest one for Carnival and than along comes Vista. Wondering how crowded that will feel.

True' date=' but it near as large as the new RCCL or COSTA ships. As long as I don't see amusement parks I am happy.[/quote']

Yeah, but I'm not sure whether that's a good thing of not. Vista has about 4000 passengers on a 133,500 gross tonnage ship.

Royal's Oasis class has 5400 passenger on a 225,000 gross tonnage ship.

So it's Carnival's 33 tons per passenger compared to Royal's 42 tons per passenger. I have no idea whether the tonnage is proportional to the passenger deck space, but if it is the big Royal Caribbean ships provide a lot more space per person.

Edit: I just found a website that listed cubic feet of public space per passenger, and RCCL's Oasis class wasn't much better than the Vista. Oasis has 35.66 cubic feet per passenger (double occupancy), while Vista is only slightly less at 34.8 cubic feet per passenger. Pretty close.

Edited by Earthworm Jim

Yeah, but I'm not sure whether that's a good thing of not. Vista has about 4000 passengers on a 133,500 gross tonnage ship.

Royal's Oasis class has 5400 passenger on a 225,000 gross tonnage ship.

So it's Carnival's 33 tons per passenger compared to Royal's 42 tons per passenger. I have no idea whether the tonnage is proportional to the passenger deck space, but if it is the big Royal Caribbean ships provide a lot more space per person.

Edit: I just found a website that listed cubic feet of public space per passenger, and RCCL's Oasis class wasn't much better than the Vista. Oasis has 35.66 cubic feet per passenger (double occupancy), while Vista is only slightly less at 34.8 cubic feet per passenger. Pretty close.

I am sure what you say is true, but I have no idea what that really means. I have been on 35+ cruises and never once thought about how many cubic feet per passenger I had on a particular ship. Those tings on a royal ship are meaningless to me as well.

I am sure what you say is true, but I have no idea what that really means. I have been on 35+ cruises and never once thought about how many cubic feet per passenger I had on a particular ship. Those tings on a royal ship are meaningless to me as well.

You don't think of how many cubic feet of public space per passenger there is, but you might think about how crowded things are on the ship. The measurement is just a way to quantify how crowded a ship might be.

You don't think of how many cubic feet of public space per passenger there is, but you might think about how crowded things are on the ship. The measurement is just a way to quantify how crowded a ship might be.

Not a very good one in my estimation, for the most part I am fine with how many people are on Carnival ships. I will report back on Vista after we sail her in July.