Debit Card for On-Board Account

K&RCurt

So, I just got the phone call no one wants to get 4 days before they leave town for a cruise. Our main credit card account has been hacked. Luckily the fraud detection group saw an odd attempt at a $3.97 charge that was hand keyed in and refused it and called me. But, as a result they had to shut down the account and issue new cards, which they say will take 10 to 14 days to arrive. They suggested that we contact our Credit Union to see if new cards could be expedited but I won't be able to do that until Monday.

So we are wondering if we can use our Debit Card for our on-board account in case we can't get new cards in time. And, what sort of hold, if any, Celebrity will put on the card as well as how long it takes for them to clear it?

If you have knowledge of how Celebrity handles a Debit Card please chime in!

I was just reading a thread on here earlier today about someone who used a debit card (instead of a credit card) and they ended up in a mess with the holds put on their primary checking account (can't remember which cruise line though). If you do have to use debit, suggest you open a separate account and have the debit card linked to that one so they can't tie up all your $$ until the holds are released but the capability to transfer $$ into the new account if needed.

Edited by Shih-tzu
added sentence

I was just reading a thread on here earlier today about someone who used a debit card (instead of a credit card) and they ended up in a mess with the holds put on their primary checking account (can't remember which cruise line though). If you do have to use debit, suggest you open a separate account and have the debit card linked to that one so they can't tie up all your $$ until the holds are released but the capability to transfer $$ into the new account if needed.

I was afraid of something like that! Your idea is a good one as an alternative. Will have to see what they say at the Credit Union in the morning.

They do put a hold on the account. They start off with $250.00 per person on the account. They will add another hold if you go over that. As a result you end up with multi holds on the account. You would be better off getting Travellers Checks and using those. Then the last day if you require a bit more cash then use the debt card. That way there is only one hold which would be released in about 2-3 weeks.

I have use TC on all my cruises without problems. They have not charged for the use of them yet.

There is a hold but as already posted it is a small one. The easiest in your situation is to bring some cash. If your bill gets to say $200 then simply go to Customer Service and pay the bill down to zero. You are looking at making this way more complicated than it needs to be. In effect you are setting up a cash account. Wouldn't that be easier if your new credit card does not come in time than opening another account and in effect needing to get another debit card?

There is a hold but as already posted it is a small one. The easiest in your situation is to bring some cash. If your bill gets to say $200 then simply go to Customer Service and pay the bill down to zero. You are looking at making this way more complicated than it needs to be. In effect you are setting up a cash account. Wouldn't that be easier if your new credit card does not come in time than opening another account and in effect needing to get another debit card?

I agree, cash is easiest.

I agree, cash is easiest.

Excellent - Cash seems the way to go if the Credit Union can't get me a new card by Wednesday afternoon. I was just trying to avoid carrying too much cash - We have a private tour planned that requires a cash payment and I just worry about carrying an excess amount. I will see if anyone around her still sells Traveler's Checks, I know the Credit Union stopped a few years ago...Maybe AAA?

Excellent - Cash seems the way to go if the Credit Union can't get me a new card by Wednesday afternoon. I was just trying to avoid carrying too much cash - We have a private tour planned that requires a cash payment and I just worry about carrying an excess amount. I will see if anyone around her still sells Traveler's Checks, I know the Credit Union stopped a few years ago...Maybe AAA?

Since I usually do a cash account, I have it with me. (I don't want to deal with the antiquated hassle of traveler's checks.) What I DO is break it into envelopes for each day. When I get to my pre-cruise hotel, they go in that safe. Then when I get on board the ship, all the envelopes go in the safe as soon as I'm in my cabin.

Each morning I take out the envelope for that day. Whatever is left over I put into the next day's envelope before bed.

That way the only time I have all of it on me is going from plane to cab/car service, cab/car service to hotel room, cab/car service/shuttle to port (or airport if catching a cruise line shuttle from there), and until I am in my cabin.

It's not like I'm walking around flashing it - I knew better than that on junior high band trips. And by putting it in separate envelopes for each day, I only have a limited amount in my wallet at any given time.

If you're only using the cash above and beyond the excursion for the account, just get big bills so you're not carrying "that much" in terms of volume.

Our first cruise, we used our debit card. We spent more than we expected but weren't worried because we knew we had enough to cover it. What we didn't expect was that Celebrity would accidentally double charge us. They were very helpful and promised they would return the money in a few days. A few days turned into a week and I'd call every day. The bank started bouncing checks and adding on charges and they were no help at all. Every time I called Celebrity, they'd tell me that they had refunded the charge and to check with our bank. The bank said they didn't know anything about a refund and started to get very belligerent. We finally tracked down the money in our savings account. The bank claimed Celebrity was responsible but since Celebrity didn't have any record of our savings account, they couldn't have done it.

You should be able to overnight the cards. Not to discount credit unions, but if you can't, you may want to get a card with a major bank going forward.

I agree with the other posts about cash. Don't link your debit card.

Thanks.

I went in to the Credit union office right when they opened. They issued me a new card on the spot!!

All is well.

Thank you everyone for your suggestions.

Absolutely do not use a DEBIT card for anything other than CASH if you have to and and Aldi LOL. I have seen too many issues with Debit cards every where. BA offers a worry free debit card I guess there are some others that do. IMHO use a CC not the debit. Negative Stuff just seems to happen with Debit cards.