What is knitters and natters get together

cruisinitaliano

I am taking my elderly Mother on the Crown this Friday.

While looking at CanadianBurger's review, I saw a Patter.

One activity is "KNITTERS AND NATTERS" @ 10 AM.

Please respond with what this activity is.

Does my Mom need to bring her own needles and yarn, etc.

Is this well attended?

BTW, we got an amazing last minute Balcony A370 for $ 269.

Too good of a deal to pass up.

This will be her first cruise in 5 yrs since getting a wheelchair.

She had previously been on over 60 with my Dad when he was alive.

Looking forward to getting her back to what she loved doing.

Have your mom bring whatever project she's working on (knitting, crocheting, stitching, etc. ). Others will come with their projects and everyone sits and visits while they're working on their projects. It's a nice relaxing way to meet other cruisers.

If it's early in the cruise and an active group sometimes they'll decide to meet every sea day at the same time.

It is an opportunity for knitters (and sometimes people with other similar crafts) to get together and talk - as well as knit. It is not hosted - the ship provides nothing but the location.

DW participated in these events regularly. This was on trans-Atlantic, Hawaii, and south Pacific cruises with lots of sea days. I would not expect to see much of them on port-intensive cruises.

The Cruise Director may not automatically schedule them. Many of these events are scheduled at passenger request. If you want this event for your mother, I recommend you contact the Passenger Services Desk on the first day and request it - don't wait for the Cruise Director to schedule it.

My wife sews, quilts, crochets, knits, tats, etc. She took her tatting along on our last cruise and met with the group most mornings. They sat around and talked, worked on their projects, shared information, etc. My wife really enjoyed the group. She met a lot of other people with similar interests and had a great time tatting and gabbing. :)

This was on a 17 day SF - FLL cruise via the Panama Canal. She hadn't attended these gatherings in the past but most definitely plans to do this on cruises in the future.

Edited by Thrak

To bad they don't have classes for crocheting and knitting, something I would take.

I've often thought about offering that to Princess. I have taught knitting to kids after school, and I teach kids at the local library. Think that would get me on a cruise or two? ;)

p.s. if you are flying to your port, be sure to pack them in your suitcase or risk losing them to TSA

Last summer on the QM2, they had a daily knitting group but they sold needles and wool in their fabulous library shop. Very convenient as I didn't bring my knitting with me.

I was on the Crown last year and we had an active Knitters and Natters that got together almost every morning. Plan on bringing all your supplies for what you want to be working on. We had needlepoint, quilting, crewel, knitting and crochet and a lot of laughs.

We had a great time and I hope to find another friendly group on my next cruise.

Happy cruising

4boysnana

I have enjoyed meeting with a group of Stitchers on several cruises. Check your roll call to see if anyone set up a group. In my experience we usually met in a lounge in the morning. If nothing is planned Mom could go to Crooners and wait till others come by and join her. I've enjoyed many of the women I've met!

Karen

Thanks each of you for the time you took to respond.

So, my Mom is looking forward to this to pass some time and make friends onboard.

She has her yarn and crochet needles all packed and ready to go.

I understand that this is not offered on all cruises.

if not on this one, she can find a nice spot by a picture window and crochet aweigh ( get it ?! )

Blessings to you all.

27447f6b0a3839a5c70b52cda314cd59.jpg

c5b6152bb1a4a2e6c762f7d8f01088a7.jpg

These are from my Royal cruise a couple of years ago. The second photo is me holding up my crocheted scarf. :) People share tips, patterns, needles, etc. As said, usually once scheduled, people meet every day whether it's in the Patter or not. Even port days.

Your mother will love it. I will always remember the sweet people I met at knitters and Natters.

I have a condition that means one foot is larger than the other and one of the sweetest cruisers from Canada made me a custom pair of slippers. I was so touched by her kindness.

This group was full of good spirits and generosity. One beautiful gal was a quilter and in spite of her own limitations she had brought 6 quilts to give to kids in a port.

Just as cruising is different for everyone this get together was one of my favorite sea day activities. Thanks to all that made my cruise so special.

Happy cruising

4boysnana

Beautiful scarf Pam! I need to learn how to crochet.
Thanks! I do knit (and needlepoint) but I prefer crocheting. Usually, I don't like the look of crocheting (granny squares turn me off) so I look for patterns that make the project look like it's been knit. :)