Sail & Sign card with Carnival Cruise

Hey guys,

So I'm a cruise newbie and am going on my first ever cruise next month!

I'm trying to budget for everything but am slightly confused with this Sail & Sign card: I know it's probably really straight forward but it's the posts in forums that have confused me!

I plan on paying for things with my debit card as I do not own a credit card and do not plan to ever get one!

I've read that they hold a certain amount of money and they also pay for tips on your behalf?

I'm not sure whether it was just the American version that paid for tips automatically but being in Australia, as our hospitality staff get paid minimum wage (unless dodgy) and don't rely on commission from tips, I'm not one to usually tip staff unless they go to the extent of making me feel like I've had awesome service! (I work in hospitality so in my eyes I'd rather rip the people who work behind the scenes because I know how hard it is)

ANYWAY that's a whole other discussion.

My question with that is; do they really take money off you automatically as a tip?-because my budget doesn't include this cost and a daily tip will add up for me!

Also, what amount do they hold on your account immediately?

The cruise is just the Pacific Island one and I assumed the card was basically linked to your account and would take money as you spend it but that doesn't seem to be the case!

Also, how will I be able to keep an eye on my spending? Usually with my card I just check my account and it's simple, but everyone has made this sound more difficult than that!

I'm not booking on-shore activities until on the cruise as I won't know my final budget until a couple of days before hand,Will my sail and sign card be the payment method for booking these on the boat, or will I pay directly from my card?

If anyone has any tips for a first timer I'm more than happy to listen!

Thank-you! :)

** I have posted on another site and received some help but would still love to hear other experiences with this!**

Hey guys,

So I'm a cruise newbie and am going on my first ever cruise next month!

I'm trying to budget for everything but am slightly confused with this Sail & Sign card: I know it's probably really straight forward but it's the posts in forums that have confused me!

I plan on paying for things with my debit card as I do not own a credit card and do not plan to ever get one!

I've read that they hold a certain amount of money and they also pay for tips on your behalf?

I'm not sure whether it was just the American version that paid for tips automatically but being in Australia, as our hospitality staff get paid minimum wage (unless dodgy) and don't rely on commission from tips, I'm not one to usually tip staff unless they go to the extent of making me feel like I've had awesome service! (I work in hospitality so in my eyes I'd rather rip the people who work behind the scenes because I know how hard it is)

ANYWAY that's a whole other discussion.

My question with that is; do they really take money off you automatically as a tip?-because my budget doesn't include this cost and a daily tip will add up for me!

Also, what amount do they hold on your account immediately?

The cruise is just the Pacific Island one and I assumed the card was basically linked to your account and would take money as you spend it but that doesn't seem to be the case!

Also, how will I be able to keep an eye on my spending? Usually with my card I just check my account and it's simple, but everyone has made this sound more difficult than that!

I'm not booking on-shore activities until on the cruise as I won't know my final budget until a couple of days before hand,Will my sail and sign card be the payment method for booking these on the boat, or will I pay directly from my card?

If anyone has any tips for a first timer I'm more than happy to listen!

Thank-you! :)

** I have posted on another site and received some help but would still love to hear other experiences with this!**

Ok welcome to Cruise critic.

If booking and sailing from Australia Carnival don't charge auto tips.

But remember the staff aren't as far as anyone can determine paid the same wages as hospitality staff on land.

I m not sure if the hold amount but have heard some horror stories of holds.

I'd suggest it may be safer to go with a cash account.

Then you just put cash down on the first day $300 I think (but not 100% sure).

Then if you use most of it they contact you and ak for more (or freeze you spending rights).

That of course means attending the pursers desk lat day to get a refund of anything unspent.

We always use a cash account on Carnival, usually we put around $500 on when we check in, before we board, they will ask you when you get your sail & sign card.

During the cruise you can check your account balance via the tv in your cabin and add funds when necessary.

Essentially your Sail & Sign card charges anything you spend to your onboard account which you then pay at the end of the cruise. I'm not sure how it works with Carnival but you should be able to get a printout of your onboard account, or at least view it, at any time during your cruise.

The problem with debit cards is that the cruise line puts a hold on funds, sometimes daily. Then at the end of the end of the cruise your debit card is charged the actual amount BUT the holds may not be released for several days, thus locking up those funds in your account. If the amount is substantial this may affect automatic payments made from that account until the holds are released.

I would never recommend using a debit card against an onboard account. Either use cash as others have recommended, prepaying as you go, or get a credit card with a credit limit of at least double what you expect to spend on the cruise, to allow for any holds on that card.

If you want to save $$ dont book ships tours unless you plan to be a long way from the ship. South pacific island tours are extremely easy to do on your own. The islands are so small that you could basically walk back to the ship if need be. What islands are you visiting? On most islands there will be locals offering tours in little mini vans, some of these vans have interesting air conditioning but hey thats all part of the experience. Better still, organise with someone on your dining table or at the wharf or queuing to get off the ship and you can go in a group, safety and cheaper in numbers.

Agree with the others no need to tip on carnival out of Australia, and use cash rather than a debit card. Easy to keep a watch on spending, each night just check it on tv or go to desk ask for a print out. One ship we have been on there were terminals near the customer service desk where you just swipe your card and can get a print out, I cant remember which ship but it could have been carnival spirit.

Have a great cruise, if you love water parks you will have a great time on carnival.

This is how it works tho the amounts may have recently changed but the principle remains the same.

On boarding unless you deposit a cash lump sum carnival will put a $200 hold on your card, when you have spent $150 of that they will take another $200 hold, again when your balance hit $50 they will hold another 200, say you spend 900 on the cruise that is a thousand dollars held or quarantined by your bank. At the end of the cruise Carnival will charge your card the full amount. Ie $900 but you also have $1000 on hold so you have to have at least $1900 in your account. Eventually the holds will drop off and the money released back to you. This can take anywhere from 3 days to a month.a month is the worst case that I have heard.

So you have two options

One...... Ensure prior to cruising you have double in your account than you intend to spend, be prepared for half of that to be unavailable to you for a week after you return.

Two...... Deposit upfront all that you have budgeted for as a cash deposit onto your sail and sign card on embarkation. They may take a $200 hold to verify the debit card is current. Ensure that you don't spend more than you deposited always making sure you are $50 in credit. If need be withdraw cash and top it up. Be warned ATM onboard has a $6 fee so best to over budget and get cash back at the end. Doing this all you will have is the initial $200 hold which is better than $1000.

Another option not mentioned yet is an Australia Post Load & Go travel card. It is like a credit card, putting a limit on the money you can use. We used it on the Carnival Spirit and didn't have any issues. We plan on using it on the Carnival Legend this year. There are no fees and can be bought online or in any Australia Post store.

Another option not mentioned yet is an Australia Post Load & Go travel card. It is like a credit card, putting a limit on the money you can use. We used it on the Carnival Spirit and didn't have any issues. We plan on using it on the Carnival Legend this year. There are no fees and can be bought online or in any Australia Post store.

Wouldn't this card have the same issues with holds tho or you need twice as much as you spend

Wow thanks for all that info!

I might actually look at the cash option, but I do want to look into the Aus Post card because I noticed that on the shelf when I was out the other day.

I'm going to try and work out my own little budget this weekend to make sure I have enough cash on me.

How much would you guys usually allocate to spend on a trip/what does that include?

I'm going to look into tours a little more so I can budget for that separately, but I need to budget for things like alcohol- it will be my birthday so I plan to drink!

I just have no idea how much to budget for, for the days on the boat!

Hi BanrionB

I used cash on Carnival with no problems, I just handed over money when I handed over my passport & paperwork and they loaded it on my sail & sign card right then. Personally I will always use cash if I can for onboard spending. Credit/Debit Cards can sometimes incur a fee as well (usually about 1.5%)

I budgeted $100 a day and that was to cover a few cocktails each day, any softdrink or coffee (one or two a day), a bottle of wine every couple of days at dinner, and any other small-ish incidental spending.

I ended up not spending anywhere near the full amount (I think I spent about $700 on a 10 day cruise, and that included doing the captains table and the $20 bus on Mare, plus some duty free shopping). to some that might sound like a lot, but I did splurge on cocktails in the afternoon and a martini or two before dinner :)

If you plan on doing some of the more expensive shore excursions don't forget to budget for those (I didn't do any except the Mare bus).

I like the idea of the Aust Post load & go cards for using in port - that way if anything does go wrong there's no hassle with my 'normal' bank debit account having problems while I'm away so things like direct debits aren't affected.

Edited by MadWoofter

I normally budget on only $30 a day or thereabouts for the two of us. That enables us to buy some soft drink a beer or two and the occasional cocktails or coffee in that respect I'm the last of the big spenders lol. With shore tours being a separate cost item.

For a newbie if you buy the photos on sale and can't resist the up selling that takes place then you can easily blow any budget. To ask how much to budget for in the way of spending money is a bit like asking how long is a piece of string as daily expenditure really boils down to individual spending habits.

Edited by ozziepost

I like the idea of the Aust Post load & go cards for using in port - that way if anything does go wrong there's no hassle with my 'normal' bank debit account having problems while I'm away so things like direct debits aren't affected.

I am not a fan of the Aust Post load and go cards. I got one for our seven week Ireland and UK trip in 2013. We loaded it with several thousand dollars, converted some to euros for use in Ireland, and the rest to pounds, both at exchange rates that were about 3 cents below the actual exchange rate on that day. Just over two weeks into our trip my handbag was stolen with the card in it. We were unable to get a replacement card sent to us in the UK so those funds, about 3000 pounds, were lost to us until we returned home. Of course, once we got a new card we then had to convert the pounds back to Aussie dollars, again at a very unfavourable exchange rate. We lost a few hundred dollars on the conversion alone. Never again!

I now have a 28 Degrees Mastercard which has no foreign transaction fees and which does currency conversions at very close to the current forex rate. Credit cards are perfectly all right as long as you pay them off in full each period.

The horror stories are what make me paranoid leading up to a trip! I would be gutted to lose my money!

I think I will stick to the cash deposit then and will wait until I arrive in Sydney before withdrawing anything.

Thank-you so much for the info everyone!