Best hotel at Rome port?

DJA2166

Hi, we have stayed at the Hotel San Giorgio in Civittavecchia. It was fine, and we will use it again. It used to be an easy walk to the ship, but the port was moved, further from the town and I don't know where the ships are currently docking.

We stayed at the Hotel San Giorgio and quite enjoyed it.

If it and Civitavecchia weren't so close to Rome I'd probably love a long weekend there but there's no way I'd stay that long when I could be in Rome instead. It's a conundrum!

I second the Hotel San Giorgio. We have stayed there several times. the restaurant is excellent, the breakfast very good and if you ask, they have a fantastic wine cellar where they will sell you some great Italian wine to take on board.

It is right across form the beach where you can take a walk and very close to the port entrance (1 block) where you can take the shuttle bus to the ship (or, the hotel can arrange a taxi to take you to the ship).

We also stay at the San Giorgio. They have the best breakfast in town. :)

The hotel now offers shuttle service to the port with their own bus. Since the entrance to the port has been moved and the port shuttle busses are further away from the hotel now, this is a very convenient perk.

I would be asking this on your Roll Call and as another suggested the Ports board. There is a shuttle from the edge of town to the ship but that is not an issue. Absolutely no reason to stay in Civitavecchia as trains from Rome are only a hour and the a shuttle or cab to the port bus shuttle.

To be clear, the port was not moved! The entrance for cruisers was moved and is now farther from the train station. If you have never been to Rome, I certainly second the option of staying at a bare minimum one night there before cruising. However if you just want to fly in and hop on the ship, Civitavecchia is a reasonable alternative.

Last fall we rented a car at the airport and stayed in the nearby town of Tarquinia for a couple of days. We went to the wonderful Civita di Bagnoreggio and Orvieto. On the day of the cruise, we drove ourselves to the port and turned in the car across the street from the ship shuttle. The total cost for the car was $121 for three days. That's less than a cab from the airport to the port! So another option.

To be clear, the port was not moved! The entrance for cruisers was moved and is now farther from the train station. If you have never been to Rome, I certainly second the option of staying at a bare minimum one night there before cruising. However if you just want to fly in and hop on the ship, Civitavecchia is a reasonable alternative.

Last fall we rented a car at the airport and stayed in the nearby town of Tarquinia for a couple of days. We went to the wonderful Civita di Bagnoreggio and Orvieto. On the day of the cruise, we drove ourselves to the port and turned in the car across the street from the ship shuttle. The total cost for the car was $121 for three days. That's less than a cab from the airport to the port! So another option.

You are a smart cookie :D

We stayed at the Hotel Traiano and I would highly recommend it. It was very nice and the staff was great. They sent their driver to pick us up at the airport in Rome for a good price. We ate at one of the best restaurants we have ever been to in Italy, at their recommendation....a short walk from the hotel, a simply old family restaurant that was so delicious. Heavenly Tiramiso.

We stayed at the Hotel Traiano and I would highly recommend it. It was very nice and the staff was great. They sent their driver to pick us up at the airport in Rome for a good price. We ate at one of the best restaurants we have ever been to in Italy, at their recommendation....a short walk from the hotel, a simply old family restaurant that was so delicious. Heavenly Tiramiso.

Absolutely agree!!! Excellent service!!! The driver service from the airport was totally worth the price!!

We stayed at the We ate at one of the best restaurants we have ever been to in Italy, at their recommendation....a short walk from the hotel, a simply old family restaurant that was so delicious. Heavenly Tiramisu.

Margie,

I am a little OFF TOPIC, but do you remember the name of the restaurant? :)

Margie,

I am a little OFF TOPIC, but do you remember the name of the restaurant? :)

I am so sorry, I wish I could. It was maybe 8-10 blocks away....I remember walking out of the hotel front door, going left down the street the hotel was on a couple of blocks and then going right for a few blocks. It was about 10pm, and I don't remember many details.

The restaurant had a butcher's case in the middle of the eating area where the butcher would chop off steaks as people ordered. Which we found fascinating.

Hotel Borgo del Mare is a family run hotel. They provide free shuttle directly to the ship embarkation. Very good complimentary breakfast. Nice quaint restaurant. I have stayed pre cruise several times and enjoyed my stay. Ciao.

I am so sorry, I wish I could. It was maybe 8-10 blocks away..

The restaurant had a butcher's case in the middle of the eating area where the butcher would chop off steaks as people ordered. Which we found fascinating.

No problem. Thank you anyhow. :)

In 2014 I stayed at Hotel Traiano. It was okay, but I won't stay there again. The beds in the room were uncomfortable and the room very small (another friend had a larger room - so if you book Traiano, you might want to ask about a larger room). The person at the desk wasn't friendly.

For my cruise in the fall of 2015, I looked for another hotel - Hotel Traghetto. DH, friends and I all loved our stay there. Rooms are basic, but beds are comfortable and the bathrooms are decent sizes. Bottled water in the room each day.

Giuseppe, who runs the hotel, is so friendly and attentive. He just loves his customers and loves his job. Each night he'd supply wine glass so we could have our happy hour with our wine; and he'd provide snacks. He provides information on dining and sightseeing. He was the best part of the hotel.

Location is perfect: Just one block away and across from the round-about is the pick up point for the shuttle to get to the ship. We walked with our luggage in just a few minutes. No need to take a taxi unless you have too much luggage.

On another street, 1.5 blocks away is a great restaurant (Taverna del Porto, via Isonzo #1). Across from that is a grocery store. We picked up bottles of wine - very inexpensive. You can get limoncello for about 5.5 euros. Also across the street is the Hertz rental office; gas station close by too. Everything is so convenient. It's about a 15 minute walk to the center area of the town. We walked one day to take the local bus to Tarquinia (the day after I dropped off our rental car).

I booked this same hotel for 2017!

Monica

Edited by Compass Rose Monica