What to do in Hong Kong, China for the day?

Kiwi_cruiser

The last time me and mum where in Hong Kong was back in 1995, just before it got handed back to China....

We spend a few days there as it was a stopover when we were heading to Scotland. When we were there we looked around the place and did a few things, I think we went on the river and up one off the hills etc..

I suspect Hong Kong has changed quite a bit since we were last there, and my dad has never been to Hong Kong before.

So I was wondering what can you do in Hong Kong when you only got the day there?? Any ideas / Suggestions?

Also would it be better to do a ships tour or find a private tour?

I also found out we should be dock at Kai Tak Cruise Terminal, where the old airport was, which if I remember correctly is quite far from the centre of town?, if so what would be the best way of getting around?

All ideas / suggestions are welcome :)

We caught one of the free shuttles outside the cruise port that drops you into a shopping centre. From there you could find your way to a subway and get to the Harbour. Try the ferry. Central. The Peak. Outlet shopping at Tung Chung or even Disneyland on the same line. Be warned - the taxi line if disembarking was a couple of hours wait 2 years ago! Awful disembark.

I don't like that last sentence at all!!!

We will be disembarking in HK and as we have luggage and going to a hotel for a couple of nights the only option for us seems like be a taxi or several as in our case as we are a group of 12.

The free shuttles don't allow luggage according to an email reply from the port customer service.

We certainly don't want to be in a taxi queue for 2hrs. Do you have any other suggestion of how we can travel to our hotel in Kowloon. Also can you recommend the best time to leave the ship

In Sydney and Melbourne we have been very lucky and leave 8.30 to 9 ish with no problems and straight into a taxi.

If you arent in a hurry to disembark, stay on the ship as long as you can. Or get off really early before the queues start. Although I was in the last batch to disembark so maybe waiting isnt a plan.

This issue was in 2013. And part of the issue was the taxi queue winds back past the port exit. There was one Cunard guy yelling at us to get out into the open while a port guy was closing that door to keep the taxi queue moving. Then alternating. It was awful. Maybe they have it sorted.

In the end the guys with the mini buses taking people to the shopping centre (like we did the day before) said that for 20HKD they would take us and our luggage to that shopping centre and there would be lots of taxis there. Sure enough, got off at the shopping centre and got a waiting taxi. I saved - maybe a two hour wait with other antsy passengers. A few of us did this.

I think the drivers on the free shuttle do this 'unofficially.' Its all in cash. Mum's the word.

The issue is that the taxis don't come into the port to collect people. It is out of their way to do so. Maybe they have fixed it now as the terminal was just opened.

Edited by Pushka

• 1 month later...