Why do we eat that much in the cruise ?

mcatmcat

Not to worry Marsh Hawk, the life boats will have plenty of room because many of the over 300 pound passengers will still be standing in the buffet lines as the ship goes down. Pretty sad commentary on the way so many people have lost control of their eating habits.

Edited by Magnum60

start eating WCMC, :p

What's WCMC?

All (bad) jokes aside, the changing weights of people -- not just the morbidly obese -- has not been reflected in capacities in buildings and engineering. Elevators are another example, where the stated capacity only recently went from an expected 150 lb/person to 185 lb/person.

Movie theaters in Australia had 'fat seats*' available [at extra charge] more than 20 years ago. Seems our friends down under are way ahead of the curve.

Offering sympathy, it must feel terrible for a nutritionally enhanced person to step into an elevator/lift with three or four regular sized people and trigger the overweight alarm.

* their words not mine

Interesting topic. Thanks OP!

So, myself - well, I think the reason I eat so much on a cruise is that it is right there in front of my face and it all looks SO GOOD! I admit I find buffets a bit of a challenge, so I try as much as I can to do MDR for evening meals, and if I have a starter, it is likely I wouldn't have a dessert.

Thing is, at home I can tell what day it is by what I am eating... and every morning its porridge for breakfast - soup or salad for lunch........ and is so boring! I have no imagination at all when it comes to cookery (or even thinking about what I want my husband to cook)

So, all these lovely things and their siren call - yes I do over-indulge.

I am always amused at adverts for cruises - all these glamorous people who know how to hold a champagne flute, smoothly making small talk with the captain before taking to the floor for an elegant foxtrot - yeah right!!!

they should show that person with the "I love Maui 2004" T-shirt waiting line for a plate of ribs! (that person does not exist in reality - I made her up!)

Probably the same reasons I eat way too much at Disney World when I'm on the meal plan. I want to get my money's worth, the food is delicious, and lots of physical activity (walking, swimming, etc.) makes me ravenous! Plus, I feel like I'm treating myself because I'm on vacation. :D

I'd say for many if you add the two posts together you cover pretty much all the reasons.

a nutritionally enhanced person

The sad truth is, they are more often nutritionally deficient - sometimes significantly. In fact, the ease and cheap price of empty and fattening junk food at the expense of being able to access (let alone afford) nutritional food (for very complicated and even political reasons) is one part of the problem. So are physiological reasons regarding the body's response to processed sugars and fats, and even the body's inability to properly use some of the nutrients consumed.

I wonder why some people feel the need to judge others and answer OP's questions for complete strangers (without knowing them based solely on what they observe) rather than just answering OP's question as it pertains to themselves as I believe it was intended??:confused:

I was wondering the same thing. I was also wondering why people would spend good money to go on vacation to watch what other people are putting on their plates and or to evaluate a strangers physical deficits.

In answer to the OP's question I don't necessarily eat more on a cruise but I do eat differently and more often. At home I NEVER eat fish but on a cruise I eat some type every day. That does not include the smoked salmon I eat at breakfast every morning. I don't really like sweets but on a cruise I will try several deserts over the course of the cruise. And I do snack several times a day. I would rather snack than eat a full meal when on a cruise. I love that the food is ready and waiting for me when I want it.:D And I don't gain weight usually.

I probably eat slightly more than I do at home as here I exist on coffee till noon, pre-gym protein shake and then dinner in the evening. I only eat desert on saturdays or 'fat saturday' as we call it. I've never not lost weight on a cruise and over 10 days I can easily drop 5lbs ...the only problem is for every pound I lose my husband mysteriously gains the same :eek:

Nothing on a cruise ship though could ever be as bad as what happened at Disney World for two weeks ...I lost 7bs and hubby gained 14!

My husband just eats because he wants to and its there ... he is one of those people who walks into the kitchen and immediately opens the fridge whether he is hungry or not ...he eats from boredom, stress, happiness , habit ...he just eats and I'm guessing he is not alone.

I do that too.

Mostely they have Food that I don't get at home or don't prepare.

Eg. for breakfast I always have "Egg benedict" when on a cruise.

I never have them at home and I hardly see them on any menu's here in Germany at the breakfast places.

Also, I'm on vacation and I want to try all the things they offer. I can Count calories again back home :D