Western Caribbean Excursions

My wife and I are going on our first cruise in 15 years, Carnival Dream to the Western Caribbean. We like to sight see and on past cruises have rented a car on our own car and drove around the ports, a lot of times getting lost but it made the stops memorable and we got to see a lot on our own timeframe. I know times have changed so Im looking at the excursions through the ship; at Montego Bay we were looking into going to the Dunns River falls and in Cozumel going to the ruins. My question is, both these excursions are 7 hours long, with travel time of at least 3 hours, is it worth it or will we miss out on the rest of the stop? Sorry this so long....

Dunns River Falls takes about 1 hour to climb. You excursion has to include something else if it's 7 hours. There is travel time but 3 hours is ridiculous. I don't think it's that far from Montego Bay to Ocho Rios.

The ruins are worth it. There is not much like them elsewhere. If you have been to one Caribbean / Mexican port you have been to them all. plus you can go to a Hooter, Margaritaville or Senior Frogs anywhere. Do the ruins if you want a unique experience but do them with the cruise because it's tight returning to the ship & you don't want to miss it.

Dunn's River Falls is overrun by very aggressive vendors who will want to sell you something. Climbing the falls involves getting in a long line and holding hands with 2 people in the long, long chain as you ever so slowly walk on very slick rocks in very cold water. I have done it and it was an OK excursion, but I would not go out of my way to do it again. It was so slow I gave up halfway up the falls because my feet and ankles were freezing cold. My husband did the rest of the climb. You exit through the gift shop and once outside the gift shop, the aggressive vendors will be all over you trying to get you to buy stuff.

IMO, I would do something else such as tubing on the White River which is extremely clean and clear and very peaceful. The ONLY vendors on that excursion are 2 or 3 selling beer at the beginning of the tubing experience. A polite "No thank you" and they leave you alone.

I would avoid the rafting on the Martha Brae as last time we were in Jamaica and some people did that and came back with infected pus filled mosquito bites. We had no problem on the White River - not a single bite.

You might also consider going to Croyden Plantation - that's pretty interesting or just doing an all inclusive beach day at the RIU Resort which is very close to the port and includes a buffet and open bar, lovely beach and swimming pool with swim up bar. There is also Adults only Secrets Wild Orchid all inclusive beach day.

If you really want to spend a lot of time traveling, then I would go to Mystic Mountain where there is a bobsled ride and the best zip line in Jamaica.

For Cozumel, there are actually some Mayan ruins there in San Gervasio - the ones on the mainland, Chichen Itza, are very interesting, but it's too long of a trip from Cozumel - rough 30 minute ferry ride plus 2 hour bus ride each way - to be worth it - better to save that excursion for when you are staying in Cancun.

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g150809-d153309-Reviews-San_Gervasio_Mayan_Archaeological_Site-Cozumel_Yucatan_Peninsula.html

However, I think Chakanaab is one of the best days you can have in Cozumel.

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g150809-d185578-Reviews-Chankanaab_Beach_Adventure_Park-Cozumel_Yucatan_Peninsula.html

If you want to take the ferry, take a Bonine BEFORE breakfast so you will be ready to endure the rough ferry ride. Then here is the best tour of all:

http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowUserReviews-g150812-d1075137-r140016197-Rio_Secreto-Playa_del_Carmen_Yucatan_Peninsula.html

My DH will be climbing the falls, I have just had a hip replacement so NO WAY for me. But I would love to be able to see him as he climbs. Where do I go to see him?

Thanks

If you go to the top, there are stairs and platforms that you can use to watch the climbers. If I recall correctly, when we did this, we went to the bottom of the stairs and had to wait a while before we saw our group making their way up.

Dunn's River Falls is fun if you're in good shape. The vendors outside do try to sell their wares but a simple "No, thank you" works just fine. We did that and a beach morning and lunch before if I recall. In Cozumel, we took the ferry to the mainland and visited Rio Secreto which is absolutely the best excursion we've ever been on. Years ago, I visiited Tulum ruins which are absolutely worth the ferry ride...on a beautiful cliff overlooking the water. Just remember, the trips to the mainland will be an all day excursion and won't leave time for much on Cozumel itself.

My DH will be climbing the falls, I have just had a hip replacement so NO WAY for me. But I would love to be able to see him as he climbs. Where do I go to see him?

Thanks

There is a walking path from the top of the falls to the bottom that is intermixed with wooden stairs. My estimate is the walking path is about a 30% grade but there are several wooden platforms for resting and photographs along the way:

pb281216.jpg

Security at the Falls steers all visitors down a narrow sidewalk through the vendor area. Items will be put in your hand or under your arm and you are expected to pay for them. If you don't pay and try to give them back to the vendors, you will be verbally insulted. My response was that my spouse had all of the money and she was near the back of the line trying to flee the pushy vendors.