Thinking of doing a Transatlantic

Hey folks! Last year my family and I did Alaska for the first time and loved it. This year my husband and I are thinking of doing the Brilliance on Oct 17th. We've never done a TA before; what are they like? I know there's not as many ports, obviously, but I'm sure there's other things going on to make up for that. I'm just curious to see what kind of experiences you've all had.

keep in mind that leaving the USA is cheaper then returning. I check their prices all the way to final total. It on my bucket list to do out one day. From what i heard there possible of seasick because you need to travel at the right time of the year.

If you are flying over to Europe, find a 5, 6 or 7+ day cruise there (Med, Baltic,etc.) that easily connects to "OR" continues on as a TA. We did a Voyager 8 day Med Cruise from Venice to Barcelona. While you are in Europe make it worthwhile and spend some time there. Our continuing TA from Barcelona on Voyager was a 12 day TA to NOLA via Canary Islands and a stop in Nassau. Prepare for lots of sea days. Check all this out carefully and have a great time!

Rick and Deirdra

If you are flying over to Europe, find a 5, 6 or 7+ day cruise there (Med, Baltic,etc.) that easily connects to "OR" continues on as a TA. We did a Voyager 8 day Med Cruise from Venice to Barcelona. While you are in Europe make it worthwhile and spend some time there. Our continuing TA from Barcelona on Voyager was a 12 day TA to NOLA via Canary Islands and a stop in Nassau. Prepare for lots of sea days. Check all this out carefully and have a great time!

Rick and Deirdra

Was that the Voyager TA in Oct 2011? We were on that too.

When you come back it the port charges that is high. Even plane is expensive coming back. I can never figure out why it cheap leaving but cost us more to get back even if we lived in this country.

I'm not sure that is at all accurate. Laura is coming back from Rome this October and at one time insides were $499 for 14 days. Hard to get cheaper than that. Also the airfare from Orlando to Rome is $470 one way. Once again pretty cheap. I believe it all depends on when you book.

I'm not sure that is at all accurate. Laura is coming back from Rome this October and at one time insides were $499 for 14 days. Hard to get cheaper than that. Also the airfare from Orlando to Rome is $470 one way. Once again pretty cheap. I believe it all depends on when you book.

thank forgot to read the small print. i thought the total was for one person not two oopps

I'm getting a quote from my travel agent for $1400 for us both, which is a REALLY good price, but the airfare is really expensive. I'm still shopping around for air.

Trying booking one way from the states to Brilliance. Then do a separate airfare back home from the states, this is usually the cheapest way.

Trying booking one way from the states to Brilliance. Then do a separate airfare back home from the states, this is usually the cheapest way.

Sea- Barcelona Oct 15 starting at $557 Choiceair

Tampa to SEA Oct 31 Starting at $167 with a Non Stop on Alaska at $210 (hipmunk.com)

Edited by Bosjoe

Just my 2 cents worth, but I've been on Brilliance in the Med and have done an E bound TA on Liberty OTS and there isn't any way I would want to have that many days at sea on Brilliance - just not enough to do for me. It would have to be on a Voyager class or larger, unless you're really into just chilling out for many days in a row.

Just my 2 cents worth, but I've been on Brilliance in the Med and have done an E bound TA on Liberty OTS and there isn't any way I would want to have that many days at sea on Brilliance - just not enough to do for me. It would have to be on a Voyager class or larger, unless you're really into just chilling out for many days in a row.

I just love the sea days. Can't get enough of them. Reading my Kindle on the promenade deck and falling asleep with my mouth agape. And there's the tutti salads for lunch in the MDR.

Keep a close eye on the Cruise Compass. We have found activities on transatlantics that we don't often find on shorter cruises, such as progressive trivia, enrichment lectures, dancing with the stripes, etc.

keep in mind that leaving the USA is cheaper then returning. I check their prices all the way to final total. It on my bucket list to do out one day. From what i heard there possible of seasick because you need to travel at the right time of the year.

We are doing a TA from Barbados to Southampton in March, when doing any TA there is always the possibility of rough weather. There is an advantage of travelling East to West, that is East coast USA is five hours behind UK and six behind Europe so going East to West you get an extra hour for five/six days of the cruise......However going West to East you lose a hour for five or six days, but they are sea days so you don't have to get up early.

Sent from my SM-P900 using Tapatalk

Keep a close eye on the Cruise Compass. We have found activities on transatlantics that we don't often find on shorter cruises, such as progressive trivia, enrichment lectures, dancing with the stripes, etc.

Oasis did progressive trivia on our April voyage. We won :D

Indy did it as well on a 6 day. Won that as well ;)

I think the key is to get a diverse group and don't miss a round.

Celebrity did one that was both trivia, scavenger hunt (think Quest) and physical activities. That was over 15 days, had to mix it up.

We are doing a TA from Barbados to Southampton in March, when doing any TA there is always the possibility of rough weather. There is an advantage of travelling East to West, that is East coast USA is five hours behind UK and six behind Europe so going East to West you get an extra hour for five/six days of the cruise......However going West to East you lose a hour for five or six days, but they are sea days so you don't have to get up early.

For those leaving from the states a benefit is arriving in Europe with no jet lag. I think that makes up for losing a few hours. Plus the weather is nicer in my opinion.

Oasis did progressive trivia on our April voyage. We won :D

Indy did it as well on a 6 day. Won that as well ;)

I think the key is to get a diverse group and don't miss a round.

Celebrity did one that was both trivia, scavenger hunt (think Quest) and physical activities. That was over 15 days, had to mix it up.

I think we need you two on our transatlantic trivia team.:)

For those leaving from the states a benefit is arriving in Europe with no jet lag. I think that makes up for losing a few hours. Plus the weather is nicer in my opinion.

I must admit that was something I hadn't thought about but that might be because I'm lucky in that it doesn't affect me much. The last couple of years in March we have had good weather I hope it's the same this year.