Back of ship on jewel??

Dave4120

Hi conwakr...happy to hear that someone else on this thread is on the same cruise, let alone right above us. When we booked this cruise a year ago while on our previous cruise, all the D-1 aft cabins were almost gone, but we couldn't make up our minds at the time if we wanted to try the back of the ship or not.

Even though I would prefer deck 8 or 9, no complaints at all. If something opens up on one of those decks and I see it before someone else, I might switch. Never know what might happen between now and final payment day next Saturday.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

We just got back last Sunday and we were in 7676, our friends next door and we had no complaints! Amazing views and larger balcony with 2 loungers and 2 tables. Felt a few shudders a few days as we entered port, but didn't bother us at all.

We always do hump balcony mid ship and will now book aft when we can! Unfortunately we can't for our next on the Anthem since they are all 2 floor suites way out of our price range, so we went with mid ship hump balcony.

The cabin above 7172 is 8168 and my friends have that cabin. April 28,2016 right?

We've had the #8168 (Alaska) on Radiance.....and the #1100 on Jewel (Northern Europe/Baltics)....loved these corner afts....just perfect :D

the long walk will help keep the cruise pounds off. The engines are more towards the middle of the ship so throughout the ship you hear a hum. Aft balconies are great, love sitting out looking at the wake. I don't mind the ship movement so if you're sensitive you may want to go with a balcony amidship. I wouldn't take a balcony over the lounge, as it can be noisy with bingo, art auctions, Quest, top tier events, etc.

All great observations. We were in aft 9258 on the Jewel from 1/31-2/7 & loved it. No noise or vibration at all. Not THAT long a walk--'course we also take the stairs whenever possible, to make up for the pina coladas & chocolate desserts...

It seems our balcony was a good bit deeper than the photos in this thread: we had room for two loungers, along with two regular chairs and a decent-sized table for dining alfresco. There was plenty of space at the foot of the loungers to put one of the other chairs for guests who wanted to sit in the sun (not crammed together either: you could walk behind it to lean on the balcony).

We take afts whenever we can get them; the best part, on the Jewel: they don't have bright lights at the back of the ship blotting out the night sky (like some other ships do), so you can actually sit out there and watch the stars. Just fabulous.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...
Hello...We are currently in a D1 stateroom for our upcoming cruise on the Jewel at the end of April, right after it's refurb.

We are on the 9th floor, but see that cabin 7172 has become available at the back of the ship on the 7th deck.

We understand the engines are at the back of the ship, and, it could be noisier because of the engines, along with more rumbling and rocking and up and down motion. However, since we've never been on the back of the ship, we thought it might be nice to try since our cruise is a Transatlantic ending in Rome, Italy.

Can anyone provide me with any experience on the back of this ship, or any other ship, and, your thoughts as to whether or not switching to this cabin might be worth the experience?

Thanks

Dave

Did your trans Atlantic go great. You don't happen to have your Compass from each day do you???? We are doing the transatlantic in April 2017 and I was wanting to see what the compass looked like.

THANK:D YOU

I don't think we still have a compass. We did save a few, but might have discarded them. I can certainly look over the weekend.

We loved the repositioning cruise. Once we can both retire, were will do a repositioning cruise once or twice forever. I'm not saying it's for everyone because everyone has different tastes, likes and dislikes, however, for us, it was great.

We had 8 days crossing the Atlantic and by some miracle, the water was like glass for 7 of the 8 sea days. Even the captain mentioned he has never seen it that smooth for so many days. Once we approached the Canary Islands, it wasn't rough, but more once the normal side.

We loved the relaxing days at sea on the outside deck. I was brain dead, and probably the inky person on the ship that never turned his phone on. The Jewel had just come out if dry dock and was beautiful. Plus wed were so lucky to get cabin 9256 on the back of the ship. Would take that cabin in a heartbeat again.

I don't think we still have a compass. We did save a few, but might have discarded them. I can certainly look over the weekend.

We loved the repositioning cruise. Once we can both retire, were will do a repositioning cruise once or twice forever. I'm not saying it's for everyone because everyone has different tastes, likes and dislikes, however, for us, it was great.

We had 8 days crossing the Atlantic and by some miracle, the water was like glass for 7 of the 8 sea days. Even the captain mentioned he has never seen it that smooth for so many days. Once we approached the Canary Islands, it wasn't rough, but more once the normal side.

We loved the relaxing days at sea on the outside deck. I was brain dead, and probably the inky person on the ship that never turned his phone on. The Jewel had just come out if dry dock and was beautiful. Plus wed were so lucky to get cabin 9256 on the back of the ship. Would take that cabin in a heartbeat again.

We have 1100 for the April 2017 crossing....have been in 9256 last couple of times. Moving up to the JS this time.

Your on a ship with engines and movement. Your going to have some noise and vibration.

If you want no noise and no vibration, I recommend an all inclusive in Play del Carmen Mexico. You'll sleep very comfortably with maybe a little wind sound, but that would put me to sleep. Happy dreams wherever you decide!

Maybe you had noise and vibration if you're speaking about the Jewel, but I can tell you there was no engine noise or vibration when we were recently on her. There is more noise in the middle of the ship. So why scare this person when your accuracy is very much in question as a general statement?

Yes, some ships on the back produce more engine noise and vibration than others, and, future cruisers should be made aware. However, I wouldn't say that is script in stone.

Edited by Dave4120