Can bottles of wine purchased with AIBP be shared with tablemates in the dining room?

Bigskyobrien

Hello all! This is a great forum and I thank everyone in advance for helping me with my questions. I didn't see anything in the other threads about this particular question...but if I missed it somewhere, please send the link!

My husband and I are wine drinkers...and I'm trying to determine which is the best option for us. I've opted to only bring the allowed bottles of wine (one per adult) on board vs. the hassle of carrying on, and we plan to enjoy these on our balcony throughout the trip. A group of five adults will be traveling together on a 10 day trip and we will likely drink 2-3 bottles of wine per night at dinner. To buy these, the wine packages look reasonable, but I was wondering a few things:

1. Can I purchase one AIBP for myself, and then order wine for the table at 40% off, or would they only allow me to drink it?

2. With the wine package, if I purchase a wine that costs more than what is 'covered' by the gold or silver package, do I pay the full amount of the wine? or only the difference between the cost of the wine and what is covered by the package.

3. I had also planned to purchase two of the coffee cards so we could enjoy decent coffees throughout the trip. I am assuming I would only have to buy one coffee card if I purchased one AIBP (i.e. that the AIBP would cover everything on the coffee card)?

Again...thank you in advance!

Here's the wine package details:

The details on the wine packages are:

Note: A 15% gratuity is added to all package prices (like any other bar purchase).

Silver Package (wines up to $29 per bottle list price)

7 bottles -- $161 (average of $23 per bottle)

10 bottles -- $210 (average of $21 per bottle)

12 bottles -- $240 (average of $20 per bottle)

Gold Package (wines up to $45 per bottle list price)

7 bottles -- $217 (average of $31 per bottle)

10 bottles -- $290 (average of $29 per bottle)

12 bottles -- $336 (average of $28 per bottle)

You get a punch card which can be used at any of the dining locations.

You may choose any wine on on the regular wine menu. If you want to buy a wine that costs more than what the package covers, you just pay the difference. For example, if you have a Gold package and buy a wine that costs $46, the charge for $46 will appear on your stateroom account, followed by a $45 credit

This is a great Excel spreadsheet created by 'Steelers36':

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=48676018#post48676018

I agree that if wine is your primary alcoholic drink then the wine package would be the best option. I purchase it from my dining room servers on cruises that are longer than a week. I've had other staff tell me the wine package was unavailable & they were eager to sell me the AIBP which is probably more profitable for Princess. Thankfully our waiters knew that was false & just so you know once we couldn't get the wine package due to insufficient inventory. :(

I have not purchased the AIBP (not cost effective for me) but have read that specialty coffee drinks are included so you'd need a coffee card for the 2nd person.

Also each cruise I've sailed in the past year had a 'buy one, get one for $1' promotion at one of the bars between 3:00-4:00 and 11:00-midnight for drinks.

Edited by Astro Flyer

Hello all! This is a great forum and I thank everyone in advance for helping me with my questions. I didn't see anything in the other threads about this particular question...but if I missed it somewhere, please send the link!

My husband and I are wine drinkers...and I'm trying to determine which is the best option for us. I've opted to only bring the allowed bottles of wine (one per adult) on board vs. the hassle of carrying on, and we plan to enjoy these on our balcony throughout the trip. A group of five adults will be traveling together on a 10 day trip and we will likely drink 2-3 bottles of wine per night at dinner. To buy these, the wine packages look reasonable, but I was wondering a few things:

1. Can I purchase one AIBP for myself, and then order wine for the table at 40% off, or would they only allow me to drink it?

You can share.

2. With the wine package, if I purchase a wine that costs more than what is 'covered' by the gold or silver package, do I pay the full amount of the wine? or only the difference between the cost of the wine and what is covered by the package.

Any drink/bottle of wine etc that exceeds the covered amount you would have to pay the full amount

3. I had also planned to purchase two of the coffee cards so we could enjoy decent coffees throughout the trip. I am assuming I would only have to buy one coffee card if I purchased one AIBP (i.e. that the AIBP would cover everything on the coffee card)?

Correct.

Again...thank you in advance!

See above in red.

From what I understand the wine packages are only available for sailings longer than 7 days. I'm currently booked for a 10 Panama Canal partial crossing in December, and the wine packages are not listed in the beverage packages menu. Any idea why not?

From what I understand the wine packages are only available for sailings longer than 7 days. I'm currently booked for a 10 Panama Canal partial crossing in December, and the wine packages are not listed in the beverage packages menu. Any idea why not?

It's true that the cruise has to be longer than a week but sadly wine packages have never been listed on their website & in my experiences have been poorly promoted on the ship. :(

I asked Customer Relations at HQ why it's not anywhere on their website & they said "because it's not always available". There are other options that are not always available on every cruise so that reason makes no sense to me. I've sailed RCL & they offered wine packages even on 7 day cruises but not Princess.

Edited by Astro Flyer

Also each cruise I've sailed in the past year had a 'buy one, get one for $1' promotion at one of the bars between 3:00-4:00 and 11:00-midnight for drinks.

Is it just one bar on the ship with the 3-4 promo? Does it take ages to order drinks then?

Is it just one bar on the ship with the 3-4 promo? Does it take ages to order drinks then?

On the Royal & Regal it was at Crooners in the afternoon & Club 6 at night; on the Crown it was at Wheelhouse in the afternoon & evening (10:00-11:00). Recently posts have said the evening one has been at that earlier time so maybe not many customers from 11:00-midnight. ;)

I never participated & seeing the crowds was one of the reasons and have read posts saying sometimes it could "take ages".

Great info! Exactly what I needed. Thanks!!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

I can a little bit more information - we purchased a 12 bottle gold package to use on our 2 weeks cruising Alaska with the family, seven of us. Everyone was able to use it. We needed our punch card to "purchase" a bottle, but even in anytime dining, the waiters knew who we were, and an open bottle could be retrieved just by knowing the four digit portfolio number used to purchase the package, or by a waiter who just "knew", meaning that during luncheon in the dining room our adult children managed to finish a number of bottles over the course of the cruises, sometimes to our surprise. So I think that a group of wine loving friends could also do the same.

Oh, if it isn't offered just ask your waiter or ask for the Head Waiter, we have never been unable to purchase the package upon request.

You can share.

So you are saying, one person at a table for 6 can have the wine package and then supply wine for the entire table???

You can share.

So you are saying, one person at a table for 6 can have the wine package and then supply wine for the entire table???

Yes, the wine package - silver or gold - since you are essentially prepaying for a specific number of bottles of wine - at a bit of a discount - it is perfectly acceptable for that wine to be enjoyed by all at the table. Our family group of 7 enjoyed the 12 bottle gold package. This is different than buying any of the drink packages - the "all you care to drink" per person packages.

Is there a limited number of bottles in the package? Is that the reason you can share?

Yes - see AstroFlyer's blue box in post #3 - the different packages are for a specific number of bottles at a price point....and the price point is higher for the different package names (gold vs silver.)

If you choose a bottle of wine that is higher than your price point, you pay the difference on that bottle. For example, if your price point is a maximum of $29, and you choose a bottle priced at $35, your added cost is $6.

Once you use your seven bottles or ten or whatever number you have purchased, you must either buy another package or purchase the bottle of wine at full price. In the meantime, package or single bottle purchased, you can share the wine with everyone you choose.

If you have the AIBP - you can purchase a bottle of wine at 40% discount and share it all around, OR you can order wine by the glass for your own consumption...and you can order a second glass also for your own consumption when you're ready. Your table mates are on their own.

We found that the wine-by-the-glass in the MDR was limited in choices, but acceptable. Better options for wine-by-the-glass were available over in Vines. If we knew what we planned to have for dinner, and thought ahead, we would pick up a serving in a to-go glass and carry it in. (We could never convince our Vines waiter to let us carry out the Riedel glassware, and we didn't make a fuss.)

Maddle

Not true. We just got off a 7 day Caribbean cruise on the Emerald in January and we bought the Wine Pkg. They do not advertise it anywhere - maybe because they want you to buy the AIBP - But if you ask in the dining room - on the first night - they will sell it to you. They offered a 7, 10, or 12 Silver or Gold pkg. Now, I don't know if this is ship specific or not.

Berni