Ruins

headhunterke

Hi all

I've booked a last minute cruise which departs in 3 weeks and I'm looking for great excursions at Cozumel. It'll be my first time at the island and I saw there are a lot of excursions that include Mayan ruins.

I'm very interested in archeology and history and was wondering if any of you had any experiences.

At the moment shorexs for the following ruins are available:

Tulum, Coba, Chichen Itza.

I know the last one is the most famous one, but I'm looking for some personal experiences and first hand feedback.

Thanks in advance!

PS. I have read tripods/professional camera's are not allowed at many of the sites. What is labelled as professional equipment? For example, I have a Canon EOS 650d and it has been refused in some venues (specially sport events) but many others saw no problem in it.

Edited by headhunterke
Extra question

We went to Chitzen Itza while on a land vacation in January. It was a long day. We went to a cenote, Chitzen itza, and a little town. 15hours from the time we left the hotel until we got back. The this were amazing. As far as the camera I can't say as we had only a digital one. I recall something about no video or tripods but I'm not sure about your camera. Honestly it's not a trip I'd do on a cruise unless I booked it directly thru the ship to guartee you get back

Coba & Chichen Itza are the most impressive of the three - Tulum is okay if you want to check the block and then hit the beach.

Not sure about the camera restrictions - you might post your question on the cruise line board or your cruise roll call.

All three will be long days involving round trip ferry to/from Playa del Carmen followed by lots of bus time. The ruins are great, but the travel to/from Coz is no fun. Good luck! :)

Hi all

I've booked a last minute cruise which departs in 3 weeks and I'm looking for great excursions at Cozumel. It'll be my first time at the island and I saw there are a lot of excursions that include Mayan ruins.

I'm very interested in archeology and history and was wondering if any of you had any experiences.

At the moment shorexs for the following ruins are available:

Tulum, Coba, Chichen Itza.

I know the last one is the most famous one, but I'm looking for some personal experiences and first hand feedback.

Thanks in advance!

PS. I have read tripods/professional camera's are not allowed at many of the sites. What is labelled as professional equipment? For example, I have a Canon EOS 650d and it has been refused in some venues (specially sport events) but many others saw no problem in it.

I don't know about tripods but the Canon DSLR itself will not be a problem.

I think all three sites are excellent. All three are well worth visiting. Chichen Itza is the best but I am not sure the time you have there would be enough from a cruise. Despite what some say, Tulum is very good. So is Coba. The difference is that Tulum is excavated. Chichen Itza very excavated. Coba, a lot has not been excavated. Coba is more rugged. Also at Coba there is a large pyramid that you can climb. Its difficult, you have to be in good shape but if you can its a great photo opportunity at the top. Can't climb the one at Chichen Itza because anymore since some lady died falling down. Tulum is easy to walk. Tulum can't climb any buildings. Tulum has an impressive history.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Edited by Charles4515