locks

georgia1980

Wonder how many people have actually had their possessions stolen from their suitcases (that they can prove). Really seems like this is a total non-issue.

Unfortunately they just caught and charged several baggage handlers stealing from checked baggage in a major Canadian airport and the RCMP advise people to lock their baggage when it is not in your possession.

Unfortunately they just caught and charged several baggage handlers stealing from checked baggage in a major Canadian airport and the RCMP advise people to lock their baggage when it is not in your possession.

A Canadian airport is not a cruise terminal. In the US you cannot lock your baggage with anything other than TSA keyed locks (which are a joke). So my point is still seemingly valid.

I locked my luggage for the first time on my last cruise (#17), and the luggage ended up outside my cabin with no locks... they were taken off at some point (customs or carnival security) and not even given back... People suggest zip ties. If they go in them you'll know and not lose your locks.

It wasn't customs, they don't check out going luggage.

But I bet they were not stealing shirts.

I always lock my luggage when not in my possession. I use TSA approved locks.

When my $$$ TSA locks went walkabout, The port reminded me that they are not TSA, they are Customs, and Carnival Security... TSA locks do nothing in the cruise lines chain of custody.

Did you complain about this? I would have went to guest services and not left until they either produced my locks or put $25 OBC on my account as that is what my pair of locks cost. It's my right to lock my luggage, and no where does it say they can "steal" my locks for any reason.

...my luggage is ALWAYS locked when not in my possession. I don't put jewelry in there ... but I consider my CLOTHES to be "Valuables" --- Anyone who disagrees obviously doesn't buy nice clothes, my Ralph Lauren shirts are $50 each and the Tommy Bahamma ones are $100 each. The replacement cost of my cruise attire if my suitcase were lost would easily be a couple thousand dollars ... so YES, I will be locking it when it's not in my possession.

Cheers!

Jeff aka Recovery Dude

PS - 11 days till we leave on the PRIDE :D:cool:

I didn't complain, I inquired... not because the locks were missing, but because they were missing AND no letter was left.. I found it odd that the locks were not inside the luggage or a letter left inside... Nothing was missing from either suitcase and nothing appeared to even be disturbed. Carnival did an "investigation" and couldn't figure out who did it (Customs or Carnival Security). But, they did give me two new TSA locks though. It didn't ruin my cruise, and realistically i never pack anything of value, I always carry valuables on or off in a smaller roll on.

I used to but don't any longer. A couple of years ago when my suitcase went through the airport security had taken the lock off and never put it back on. So I figured why even put it on to begin with and haven't since. Now I will say not to often do I take more then a carry on anyway. Besides I don't have anything of value anyway. If someone really wants my Target shirts and jewelry they can have it.

Edited by sprint180

Totally disagree with this.

I lock my luggage, not because there is anything valuable, but because I don't want some strangers grubby hands going through my things. I may not have spent a lot of money on my clothes and shoes, but they are mine and I happen to like them.

If 2 pieces of luggage are next to each and one is locked and one is unlocked, which is a thief going to first?

I'd take the locked one.

From Carnival:

luggage should be unlocked before turning over to the porters in order to avoid any inconvenience or delay in delivering the luggage to the stateroom. Should a guest choose not to unlock their bags and prohibited items are found during screening, the luggage will be retained until the guest can open it in front of security personnel.

https://help.carnival.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/1373/session/L3RpbWUvMTQ1NTA2OTg2OS9zaWQvR2tqSXJISW0=

[quote name='kjunea']This is what we do also. We use zipties of a neon color. TSA can remove them, check the contents, put their letter saying they inspected the contents, and then they will ziptie it back, either with a black one or a white one. I also put a small pair of scissors in the outside pocket of my checked luggage so that I can cut the ziptie off when I get in the cabin/hotel room.[/QUOTE]

I do the same. Not so much to keep anyone out, but to keep my unmentionables in!