Live...mostly...from Anthem

KarinaGW

He's also the person that said that everyone will be disembarking, which appears to just be an opinion.

Crew could have told him that....... we have all been told something not correct by crew at one time or another. I am just not so quick to jump on people when I do not have all the facts.

Besides we do not know this is false information yet.

Edited by Reader0108598

Crew could have told him that....... we have all been told something not correct by crew at one time or another. I am just not so quick to jump on people when I do not have all the facts.

Besides we do not know this is false information yet.

He also said the ship took a 45 degree roll (no way). Too many sensationalist, not supported by facts posts by that poster which is why no one is believing him/her.

He also said the ship took a 45 degree roll (no way). Too many sensationalist, not supported by facts posts by that poster which is why no one is believing him/her.

Could have been his/her perception. This person was not reporting in a official capacity,I take most of what I read with a grain of salt.

Reader

Edited by Reader0108598

I've also noticed that Anthem doesn't show up at all, even in it's last location a lot of the time. As it gets closer to FL, it should appear.

The last location shown was off Atlantic City. The Carnival Pride is on its way to PC as well - though a bit behind Anthem. Good thing as they missed the storm.

Edited by Biker19

There are at least 3 other posters, including this one by Hearthstone, confirming the report of multiple 45 degree listings:

<<As to the 45 degree listing, it was pretty close. Watched curtains for reference and they got close to 45 degrees more than once. Couch slid across the cabin and everything that wasn't secured was airborne. Luckily wireless stayed on and I was looking up specs on how far a ship can list before capsizing. Found a credible source that said they can handle a 60 degree list and recover which gave us a lot of comfort. Tv bridge info stopped giving wave height info around 6:00.. The last number I saw was 25'. It got worse from there.>>

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=49018831&postcount=48

sorry, but in addition to the 45-degree angle thing, there's no way you are experiencing 125mph winds.

That's category 3 hurricane winds, and there are currently no hurricanes in the atlantic.

its better to remain silent and thought a fool than to open ones mouth and remove all doubt !

There are at least 3 other posters, including this one by Hearthstone, confirming the report of multiple 45 degree listings:

<<As to the 45 degree listing, it was pretty close. Watched curtains for reference and they got close to 45 degrees more than once. Couch slid across the cabin and everything that wasn't secured was airborne. Luckily wireless stayed on and I was looking up specs on how far a ship can list before capsizing. Found a credible source that said they can handle a 60 degree list and recover which gave us a lot of comfort. Tv bridge info stopped giving wave height info around 6:00.. The last number I saw was 25'. It got worse from there.>>

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=49018831&postcount=48[/quote

Deleted

Edited by Reader0108598

First report of day.

We made it and we're heading to Pt. Canaveral. Pretty much that's it.no ETAs or more status than that til next report in a few hours.

Weather channel says the temps in Miami are going to be a high of 48 & Canaveral is north of that. so even when we get Souther, we're not going to be much warmer.

Sigh.

Let me just fill you in, I'm loyal to RC also (Diamond Plus and been sailing with them since 1987) but here's the facts: My 89 year old aunt's closet door flew off the hinges and was sliding across the cabin floor, she uses a walker and was afraid to try to get out of bed, she had the only key to her cabin with her as RC only gave her one (only one passenger in the cabin so one key), she pushed the medical alert button in her cabin, someone called her to ask what the problem was but after 2 hours no one showed up to help so I went out looking for a security person who could open her door. That is when I saw the ceiling and also encountered three crew members who when I told them no one responded the told me about the 2 heart attacks and that they were responding to the most severe emergencies first. So as other have said, if you don't know all the facts you shouldn't comment!

Hope all is well with your aunt.

Just to let you know we always cruise with my 86 yr old dad (who always sails solo in his cabin) and the first thing we do when we get on board is get a duplicate room key from guest services. Since he is hard of hearing we doesn't always hear the phone ring or a knock on the door, having a duplicate key allows us to check on him when ever we want.

Edited by starfish216

Thankfully things seem to be calming down a bit. For those on board, you were experiencing conditions OFF the Beaufort scale, which ends at force 12. You were / are in hurricane wind conditions, which is where the scale leaves off.

All that a huge ship like Anthem can do is to hang on. Her huge size is meaningless, as most of it is out of the water, and that portion of the hull and superstructure acts like a huge sail with the wind. No surprise judging by wind direction that the captain could not get her into the wind. The ship is not powerful enough to overcome that force.

I've always said it at CC before: These mega cruise ships cannot deal well with the worst mother nature can dish up. Yes, they can hang on, but not much more.

As to blaming the captain, and thinking this could have been avoided or minimized, have a talk with him personally, and give him your thoughts! :cool:

The ONLY ship that could have truly dealt with this, is a true ocean liner. And last time I checked, Anthem does not have the nick name "Queen Mary 2".

In fact, even QM2 would have found these conditions to be a challenge, but she at least has the power and the design to go up against this stuff. I think QM2 would maneuver much better, and given the appropriate conditions can make 29 knots to get out of "Dodge"

Just be happy you did not get hit with a 100' rogue wave, as QM2's predecessor QE2 did in 1995. QE2 took the wave like a champ and sailed on with minor damage. If Anthem, I would dread what the consequences would be.

Thus, never think that these mega cruise ships are immune from the really bad stuff. In fact, their size / construction makes them more vulnerable when mother nature unleashes her wrath.

I wish all on board well, and welcome to the Force 12+ club!:D

Lou, I know you have a fond spot for the Cunard liners, and to a degree I agree with you, but even a "true liner" would have problems with a storm of this nature, and would also have been essentially "hove to".

Regardless of the amount of horsepower the ship has, there comes a point where the size, shape, and frequency of the seas, combined with the speed of the ship, will produce harmonic pitching (because you will always want to be pointed into the seas) which will lift the propellers out of the water and overspeed the motors. At this point, you adjust speed down to find a better ride (from a mechanical/structural stance, not human comfort). Eventually, you end up balancing the ship's power against the wind/seas to keep the wheels buried deep and biting into the seas. Another problem with lifting the props comes with azipods, where they provide the steering as well, so when the prop ceases to provide thrust, you lose steerage, and the bow falls away from the seas, and you "fall into the trough", or become parallel to the seas and start rolling to max angle.

And the Captain was balancing the wind and the seas, which do not always come from the same direction, to give the best ride possible.

For those who think that a port is the best place to be when a storm comes over, think about how close other ships, piers, and buildings are, and how quickly the ship would tear into these things when mooring lines start to pop.

Another thing is that for nearly every ship afloat, the last thing you want is to have strong winds and heavy seas on the stern, so running from a storm like this (particularly since it became much worse than predicted suddenly) would cause much more damage, since the seas would be lifting the stern, with the props, and even ships with rudders, if the water is flowing in the direction of the ship's travel, steering force is reduced, so the ship has more tendency to drift off course and into the trough.

Captain said it was his worst day at sea ever. I honestly thought the ship was going over when the curtains where almost parallel to the ceiling. To everyone saying it's not the captains fault. Who's fault is it? He chose our course and he knew there was a strong storm coming, granted stronger then forecasted but No money or time saved is worth gambling with our safety which is exactly what happen. We live and die by his choices no one else's is.

I will say his actions in the middle of the storm probably saved our Lives but we should have never been in the situation. Feeling shock up in every sense of the word

This low pressure is what is known by meteorologist as a bomb. These are rapidly intensifying areas of low pressure and are also referred to as Nor'easters and winds sometimes reach over Hurricane Force. Unlike a hurricane, the winds are not concentrated near the center. Instead, these system produce strong winds over a larger area.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=49018495&postcount=1

Indeed. You do not need a hurricane to produce winds of this speed.

I had also looked at the charts last night, and on one there was even a note indicating hurricane force winds, but that does not mean a hurricane. Above, "cruiselou" posted some data that said "12 beaufort", that's the top of the scale, as I mentioned earlier, and this weather went off the scale.

For those who endured this, you have earned your "cruise stripes", and a healthy respect for mother nature. For those who think these mega ships are immune, we now have quite a bit of proof that they are not.

Okay, awaiting further news. Best wishes to all on board. If you do not get a free cruise out of this, I'll be shocked!

East Coast storm is heinous. Captain has sent everyone to their cabins.

....the ship is dealing with 115mph winds and severe seas. Watching out our balcony is exhilarating and terrifying. Much water came though the deck doors on deck 5 before they shut the watertights. The captain is holding the ship in place against the wind possibly by sheer will. My cabin is making weird noises. At least we have 2 bottles of champagne. Hugs to all.

The Anthem has been tested and she has proven to be very seaworthy. Sorry you had to endure that. I know it must have been very scary. Glad you are all safe. Enjoy the rest of your cruise.

As far as listing is concerned.....

I was on the NCL Escape a few weeks ago and attended the technical presentation/Q&A with the Captain and Chief Engineer; the CE stated the Escape could right itself from a 6o° list owing to the fact that the majority of the weight resided below the waterline.

The Escape and the Anthem of the Seas were built by Meyer Werft within 6 months of eachother from the same building hall. They are very similar in their structural engineering so I would estimate the handling of the Anthem to be almost identical to her cousin the Escape.

Lou, I know you have a fond spot for the Cunard liners, and to a degree I agree with you, but even a "true liner" would have problems with a storm of this nature, and would also have been essentially "hove to".

Regardless of the amount of horsepower the ship has, there comes a point where the size, shape, and frequency of the seas, combined with the speed of the ship, will produce harmonic pitching (because you will always want to be pointed into the seas) which will lift the propellers out of the water and overspeed the motors. At this point, you adjust speed down to find a better ride (from a mechanical/structural stance, not human comfort). Eventually, you end up balancing the ship's power against the wind/seas to keep the wheels buried deep and biting into the seas. Another problem with lifting the props comes with azipods, where they provide the steering as well, so when the prop ceases to provide thrust, you lose steerage, and the bow falls away from the seas, and you "fall into the trough", or become parallel to the seas and start rolling to max angle.

And the Captain was balancing the wind and the seas, which do not always come from the same direction, to give the best ride possible.

For those who think that a port is the best place to be when a storm comes over, think about how close other ships, piers, and buildings are, and how quickly the ship would tear into these things when mooring lines start to pop.

Another thing is that for nearly every ship afloat, the last thing you want is to have strong winds and heavy seas on the stern, so running from a storm like this (particularly since it became much worse than predicted suddenly) would cause much more damage, since the seas would be lifting the stern, with the props, and even ships with rudders, if the water is flowing in the direction of the ship's travel, steering force is reduced, so the ship has more tendency to drift off course and into the trough.

Thanks, once again, for the education.:)

Sounds like the worst is over, prayers for all on board. We were on a TransAtlantic cruise that ran into the remnants of Hurricane Fabian in the North Atlantic, we couldn't get into port in Iceland and the weather was very bad for 3 days and 2 nights. I can sympathize with the passengers onboard the Anthem.

I'm not a meteorologist as that poster who created an account claimed. Read sarcasm in claimed. But I did live for five years on an island that was in what I like to call hurricane or typhoon alley. We had at a minimum two a year actually hit or brush the island. Okay, with that said there were at least ten that were possible but veered off. It's what they they do they also can suddenly change speed both faster and slower. It's one of the hardest things to predict accurately. Everyone try's really hard and forecast are never 100% accurate. Winds are just too unpredictable. Comments like the captain should have known better are naive. It's unlikely that the force 1. Followed the original predicted path ( which is usually a large cone anyway so lots of path leeway), 2 kept the same strength ( obviously grew stronger than originally predicted) . Everyone just needs to take a breath, be thankful no one was too seriously injured (hopefully) and on a lighter note hope that now they can finish and enjoy what's left of a vacation they paid for. As for life jackets, it makes sense to me that they are at boats. I've always thought it was silly for them to be in staterooms, as in an emergency who wants to go all the way back to stateroom to get them then get to lifeboat. I'd rather go straight to muster station. I mean what if some folks actually can't get to room due to "whatever" now they can still get a life jacket. Just my humble opinion not trying to start a life jacket war.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app