Torn Meniscus

Unless your husband already had some underlying mobility issues, I wouldn't think a torn meniscus would be much of an issue. Might keep him from playing basketball or doing a Flow Rider, but shouldn't require a scooter to get around the ship.

Have you ever had a torn meniscus? Both times when mine finally went out, I couldn't even walk. It was the most painful thing I have ever experienced.

Unless your husband already had some underlying mobility issues, I wouldn't think a torn meniscus would be much of an issue. Might keep him from playing basketball or doing a Flow Rider, but shouldn't require a scooter to get around the ship.

Bill is in pain. He needs people at his office to help carry his work/briefcase into the building each day. He is still deciding if he wants to try for the scooter or just use a cane -- he does not want the knee to give out and fall down. There will be no basketball or anything else!

Thanks all for your replies. I will definitely be looking into the wheelchair for getting on and off the ship. Katherine

Have you ever had a torn meniscus? Both times when mine finally went out, I couldn't even walk. It was the most painful thing I have ever experienced.

I have a torn meniscus (well, mostly healed now, so more of a ragged meniscus) but opted not to have surgery. It bothers me from time to time, but never was terrible, except when I tried to go for a run or something like that. In general, a torn meniscus is not a debilitating injury, but it's possible and sounds like it was in your case.

I was just on the Vision of the Seas with my scooter. I had a family outside room, no balcony. The scooter I own went through the door just fine. BUT I have a small Pride GO-GO ultra. The rentals are larger to accommodate all sizes of people.

A wheel chair would ruin the cruise for me. I am independent and don't want to ask someone to push me around. I would feel like I was a burden to my family and they would be restricted and have to stay with me.

I bought a used Go-go scooter for $300 and it is easy to travel with. I can ride directly to the gate and they gate check it for free. It breaks down into 5 pieces and the heaviest piece is under 40 pounds (the battery). The whole scooter is just over 100 and my daughter and husband just lift it up into the Escape without breaking it down.

I do have a larger 4 wheel with suspension for my outside use. That is about the size that the ship has for rentals.

I am scheduled for my 3rd knee replacement and radiation on the same knee in 5 years. The pain is extreme and the knee goes out. I recommend getting a travel scooter if possible. You can always sell it after you don't need it and recoup most of your money.

Without a handicapped room try to keep the width at 21 inches and a 3 wheeler is more maneuverable

I have a torn meniscus (well, mostly healed now, so more of a ragged meniscus) but opted not to have surgery. It bothers me from time to time, but never was terrible, except when I tried to go for a run or something like that. In general, a torn meniscus is not a debilitating injury, but it's possible and sounds like it was in your case.

I've had two meniscus surgeries. The first was 40 years ago on the left and before I had it done the pain was negligible but I was prone to knee lock which resulted in a few near face plants. My second was on the right about 5 years ago and all I suffered was popping in my knee on every flex. It all depends on the persons physical condition and the extent of the tear. In case you were wondering about your future, I'm finally bone on bone on the left 40 years later. I'm to young for a replacement and I can still bang out P90X so I think I'll just hang in there for a while longer.

I was just on the Vision of the Seas with my scooter. I had a family outside room, no balcony. The scooter I own went through the door just fine. BUT I have a small Pride GO-GO ultra. The rentals are larger to accommodate all sizes of people.

A wheel chair would ruin the cruise for me. I am independent and don't want to ask someone to push me around. I would feel like I was a burden to my family and they would be restricted and have to stay with me.

I bought a used Go-go scooter for $300 and it is easy to travel with. I can ride directly to the gate and they gate check it for free. It breaks down into 5 pieces and the heaviest piece is under 40 pounds (the battery). The whole scooter is just over 100 and my daughter and husband just lift it up into the Escape without breaking it down.

I do have a larger 4 wheel with suspension for my outside use. That is about the size that the ship has for rentals.

I am scheduled for my 3rd knee replacement and radiation on the same knee in 5 years. The pain is extreme and the knee goes out. I recommend getting a travel scooter if possible. You can always sell it after you don't need it and recoup most of your money.

Without a handicapped room try to keep the width at 21 inches and a 3 wheeler is more maneuverable

Wow, this is some fantastic advice! I highly recommend getting some kind of mobility assistance for the duration of the cruise.

Haven't read the whole thread, so don't know if anyone has mentioned using ice.

I have torn the meniscus in both knees on different occasions. Both were surgically repaired. The last time we took a cruise a few weeks after surgery. I managed well using a cane and elevators. Steps were the toughest.

Doctor had recommended icing down a few times a day. I explained to the room steward and he was wonderful! Brought a huge container/bucket of ice - like the bars use. He also brought extra towels, plastic bags, etc. I iced the knee 2-3 times daily - sitting out on the balcony - really helped.