Anthem keeps docking us around

shaun07

At the end of the day its an industry issue. There is very little if any oversight of the cruise industry by the government so they are free to do what they want. Until WE change the way this country is run to where the people have the power and not the corporations and people with money.

I don't want to go down the road of how backwards and messed up the government is so lets just saw it needs to change and until it does cooperation's are free to do what ever they want.

Instead of just watching the usual news sources I encourage everyone to put half the effort they spend on cruise critic actual researching their representatives and voting for who is best for them and what they believe in. Look to see who backs them with money and decide if that what you want.

Ok thats my ranting over. Thanks

Well said.. Most or all of these ship lines are registered in other countries to avoid the stricter U.S rules and Tax laws.Change needs to come

I know they do not have them fitted on the ships, but RCI should have 20/20 Hindsight Radar installed in the head office. It would have avoided all this bother.

I'm not sure hindsight would help. FOX News did a report this afternoon on the Anthem story and they said that hurricane force winds were most definitely being forecasted to be in the ship's path - before the ship sailed.

At the end of the day its an industry issue. There is very little if any oversight of the cruise industry by the government so they are free to do what they want. Until WE change the way this country is run to where the people have the power and not the corporations and people with money.

I don't want to go down the road of how backwards and messed up the government is so lets just saw it needs to change and until it does cooperation's are free to do what ever they want.

Instead of just watching the usual news sources I encourage everyone to put half the effort they spend on cruise critic actual researching their representatives and voting for who is best for them and what they believe in. Look to see who backs them with money and decide if that what you want.

Ok thats my ranting over. Thanks

Right .. let the government regulate the cruise lines .. prices will double or triple and most of us will not be able to cruise anymore.

I'm not sure hindsight would help. FOX News did a report this afternoon on the Anthem story and they said that hurricane force winds were most definitely being forecasted to be in the ship's path - before the ship sailed.

Read the facts .. National Weather Service predicted max 50 mph winds up until 5:50pm Sunday. Read the tweets in this report.

The news and weathermen for some reason love to hate the cruise lines and bash them every chance they get.

http://www.nj.com/weather/index.ssf/2016/02/weather_expert_blasts_decision_by_nj_cruise_ship_t.html

If the media is there I'd like to share some of my wisdom with them. I doubt you'll get to hear it though since I'm unlikely to give them the dramatic disaster/chaos/impending doom story they will all be wishing for and therefore it's unlikely to be aired. Someone will no doubt get their 5 minutes of fame and of course someone or other will likely suffer because of it.

By the way the weather experts on here let me down big time, bloody big mouths, however plan b worked but tomorrow I'm going to be the 5th Avenue shopping donkey.

Happy wife happy life, I think!

"By now you've probably heard of the Anthem of the Seas, the Royal Caribbean ship that ran into -- as the captain likes to say -- "a low pressure who's intensity was not forecasted". Let me categorically say that the storm was indeed forecast. The map I've included here is the 48 hour forecast from NOAA NWS Ocean Prediction Center which clearly stated "RPDLY INTSFYING" and "DVLPG HURCN FORCE" off the east coast of the United States. Other text and graphical products from that office and others warned of the developing gale. This event is eerily similar to the incident in which the Freedom of the Seas, after leaving Port Canaveral, "core-punched" a rapidly intensifying low pressure system north of Grand Bahama on 9 October 2011. There are many common themes: a gigantic modern ship carrying thousands of passengers that's may be perceived as "too big to fail" by cruise line officers, a possible superficial or glancing look at the weather forecasts without digging deeply into details or possible changes, and an apparent perception that all the captain needs to worry about is wave heights so that wind intensity is not sufficiently considered. Sure, these giant ships with their modern stabilizers can handle 30 foot seas. But in both incidents it's the wind that's caused the damage (and sometimes injuries to the passengers), because the pressure of 100+ MPH winds hitting what is essentially a "floating building" can make the ship list several degrees, enough to send furniture, objects, and people tumbling. It's more than likely that there will be litigation stemming from this incident (like there was for the Freedom of the Seas), at which time the details of how something like this could happen (again) will come."

John Morales

Where's the map that you included?

It's sad that their making them come in when it's dark.( ships never come in at night)The NYC area is confusing enough for a tourist in the daylight..Bad judgment RC

That's only "bad judgment" if you make an assumption that they could have scheduled their docking earlier in the day, but made a decision to delay it until after dark, instead. That said, nobody has to navigate the city at night. They are free to stay the night on board and depart in the morning.

Read the facts .. National Weather Service predicted max 50 mph winds up until 5:50pm Sunday. Read the tweets in this report.

The news and weathermen for some reason love to hate the cruise lines and bash them every chance they get.

http://www.nj.com/weather/index.ssf/2016/02/weather_expert_blasts_decision_by_nj_cruise_ship_t.html

Does the ship not have radar that can measure the strength of a storm?

Question for those who have cruised and followed cruising news longer than I. When past incidents have occurred such as this, has the general public ever found out the results of any investigation? I am thinking of the other cruise ship that left from Cape Liberty and tried to miss a storm, last year I think? I know many blamed the captain then also.

If the media is there I'd like to share some of my wisdom with them. I doubt you'll get to hear it though since I'm unlikely to give them the dramatic disaster/chaos/impending doom story they will all be wishing for and therefore it's unlikely to be aired. Someone will no doubt get their 5 minutes of fame and of course someone or other will likely suffer because of it.

By the way the weather experts on here let me down big time, bloody big mouths, however plan b worked but tomorrow I'm going to be the 5th Avenue shopping donkey.

Happy wife happy life, I think!

A wise AND brave man

Who would believe Fox news.? Chanel 2 here in NY just flashed the screen that nightmare cruise ship almost home. For those who said ship is going slow because of tides, low tide in the narrows was 3:30 this afternoon. You can not always blame someone for bad things that happen. Last week 12 inches of snow was forecast for here, NYC. We got 31 inches, it really screwed me up and I felt stressed. Who can I blame?

Not just Fox but multiple bureaus including NOAA and OPC.

i just dont understand why people would think that Royal apart from putting lives in danger would also put one of their revenue generating properties at risk simply to keep an itinerary? they cancel ports and change itineraries for nothing more than a thunderstorm and now these whiners are posting from the Ship for help, what would you like the people on the internet to do? Take your free cruise and 50% off your next and call it quits already with these posts.

Just to clarify, we were told onboard that the storm was forming to the west of Florida and would move across eastward and hit us around Jacksonville if we proceeded southbound. This was shown on the radar map on TV as well, and pointed out by the captain.

This is the radar map from the next morning. I was just surprised to read about the "storm" because there wasn't one. You can see the remnants of the storm you went through, and you can see the winter storm coming across the US. (It's the blue color.) However, there's nothing in Florida, or off the coast of Florida.

In any case, it's moot now, since the ship went north.

uploadfromtaptalk1455139814337.jpg.6dfecca552c5a285740e01f873b84b98.jpg

Who would believe Fox news.? Chanel 2 here in NY just flashed the screen that nightmare cruise ship almost home. For those who said ship is going slow because of tides, low tide in the narrows was 3:30 this afternoon. You can not always blame someone for bad things that happen. Last week 12 inches of snow was forecast for here, NYC. We got 31 inches, it really screwed me up and I felt stressed. Who can I blame?

Did you have to stay in your bedroom for the storm? Was your house tossed

around with stuff flying off your shelves? Is your house surrounded by nothing for miles with no help available?

FOX News did a report this afternoon on the Anthem story and they said that hurricane force winds were most definitely being forecasted to be in the ship's path - before the ship sailed.

FOX News! Wow .... They are hardly likely to go for just the sensational aspect, after all they are part of the Murdoch empire. :eek:

I can just imagine the threads here if Anthem had delayed sailing and the storm had not escalated.

"I am stuck in Port and there is no reason we could not be cruising. This is the last cruise I do with RCI"

"Don't RCI realise their ships are built to sail in poor weather. My vacation is now ruined. The Captain should be sacked"

"I have been sailing for XX years and we have been through far worse. I remember back in .... <long irrelevant anecdote> .... so I cannot see why we did not sail."

"I am D+ and cannot believe they have delayed me. I did not even get a personal visit from the captain to ask my valued opinion. Royal now ignores the advice we give them. It's not like the good old days"

Then some others will point out that it was the safe thing to do, but they will get flamed for their opinions.

Sail or not sail. Either way ...... it's been fun. :D

If only your local meteorologist had been on the bridge. But he wasn't.

I'm not reading another thread, but my question would be about meteorologists. Don't they deal with storms above sea level, but what do they know about currents beneath the water.? Wouldn't that be a specialty for navigators?