Anthem keeps docking us around

shaun07

Not to change topic, but I wonder what kind of wind, storm damage would occur to Oasis or Anthem with the double haul and garden and trees down the middle.

Would hurricane winds "roar" right between the ship!

Hope it never happens, this one is bad enough!

I have been wondering about this too, although I don't ever want to have to find out!

I've been through lots of hurricanes (Florida native), but am thankful to have been inside, on land, protected by accordion shutters for most of them. Can't imagine what that would be like on a cruise ship.

FOX News! Wow .... They are hardly likely to go for just the sensational aspect, after all they are part of the Murdoch empire. :eek:

I can just imagine the threads here if Anthem had delayed sailing and the storm had not escalated.

"I am stuck in Port and there is no reason we could not be cruising. This is the last cruise I do with RCI"

"Don't RCI realise their ships are built to sail in poor weather. My vacation is now ruined. The Captain should be sacked"

"I have been sailing for XX years and we have been through far worse. I remember back in .... <long irrelevant anecdote> .... so I cannot see why we did not sail."

"I am D+ and cannot believe they have delayed me. I did not even get a personal visit from the captain to ask my valued opinion. Royal now ignores the advice we give them. It's not like the good old days"

Then some others will point out that it was the safe thing to do, but they will get flamed for their opinions.

Sail or not sail. Either way ...... it's been fun. :D

"That sound you hear is the gnashing of teeth and the rending of garments in newsrooms everywhere from ABC to MSNBC, following the results of a Suffolk University/USA TODAY poll released Wednesday which declares Fox News the cable and network news ratings winner.

According to the survey of 1,000 likely voters conducted Sept. 24-28 (with the usual margin of error of plus or minus 3 percentage points), 23 percent of U.S. voters named Fox News as the TV news or commentary source they trust the most, reports The Washington Times.

CNN -- the self-proclaimed "most trusted name in news" -- was a distant second at 15 percent, then NBC at 10 percent, CBS at 9 percent, and ABC at 6 percent. Pathetic.

Below them was MSNBC at 5 percent, squeaking ahead of Comedy Central -- Comedy Central -- at 4 percent and C-SPAN at 3 percent."

You stick with your biased news and I will stick to the facts as so dictated by non- political truth in media who ranks Fox News #1 in fact checks. You stick to NBC who comcast owns or the joke Ted Turner broadcasting who owns CNN. ;)

Edited by repo-cruiser

Wow....a light in the darkness...but alas, as Paul said, ya can't fix stupid....

Yes, can you believe those idiots at RCCL corporate deliberately put their 1 Billion dollar ship at risk and all the other billion dollar ships they put out there during hurrican season every year who have been dodging storms for years, just so we can all get our cruise on??? Shocking!!

It appears RCCL now wishes that they had had more consultation before proceeding:

http://www.travelmarketreport.com/articles/TMR-Exclusive-As-Anthem-Prepares-to-Sail-Again-Royal-Caribbean-Adds-New-Shoreside-Team-to-Watch-the-Weather

Wow....a light in the darkness...but alas, as Paul said, ya can't fix stupid....

Yes, can you believe those idiots at RCCL corporate deliberately put their 1 Billion dollar ship at risk and all the other billion dollar ships they put out there during hurrican season every year who have been dodging storms for years, just so we can all get our cruise on??? Shocking!!

Name calling are we? The difference is they didn't try to dodge it they tried to out run it. Yeah I guess you can't fix stupid.

Edited by Irene7

Name calling are we? The difference is they didn't try to dodge it they tried to out run it. Yeah I guess you can't fix stupid.

Pretty much means the same thing. They sometimes "dodge" hurricanes the same way, by trying to get by the projected path before the hurricane gets there. And most of the time, it works out. This time, obviously, it didn't work out so well.

How many of the 4000+ passengers, when disembarking, will get down on all fours.....and kiss the ground? I'm guessing more then just a few!

I know I WOULD!!!:D:D

I would NOT have fared well for those 15 hours.

Welcome Home, Anthem!!!

The Senator from Florida can't order a NTSB investigation. He can only request it.

Hopefully it will be done.

I hope it is not done...I just don't think it's a necessary or fiscally responsible response to the incident. I'm certain RCI will conduct a thorough internal investigation and review of policies and procedures. I'm almost positive (Paul, help me out here) the USCG will inspect the ship since she's sailing from a US port. As far as an NTSB investigation, since there was no loss of life or vessel, I think my tax dollars can be better spent elsewhere.

Pretty much means the same thing. They sometimes "dodge" hurricanes the same way, by trying to get by the projected path before the hurricane gets there. And most of the time, it works out. This time, obviously, it didn't work out so well.

I don't think it is the same thing. How fast can these ship go compared to a storm with hurricane force winds. Knowing it's coming and sailing away at full speed is one thing but heading towards it when it is already there is something else. Is the radar on these ships that bad that it doesn't tell about the storm until you are already in it. I thought it gives you the information miles away.

I hope it is not done...I just don't think it's a necessary or fiscally responsible response to the incident. I'm certain RCI will conduct a thorough internal investigation and review of policies and procedures. I'm almost positive (Paul, help me out here) the USCG will inspect the ship since she's sailing from a US port. As far as an NTSB investigation, since there was no loss of life or vessel, I think my tax dollars can be better spent elsewhere.

There won't be an investigation. I can guarantee that. The most there can be in this case is what's called a 'Marine Accident Brief.' Similar to what they did with the Norwegian Dawn but even that was different.

There wasn't a marine casualty here and nothing in US waters so NTSB can't really do anything here.

I'm almost positive (Paul, help me out here) the USCG will inspect the ship since she's sailing from a US port.

Oh, I'm certain of it. Considering the media attention and fact damage did occur, although mostly cosmetic, I would be very surprised if a team of USCG inspectors didn't board the ship.

Edit...yep, it's already being reported:

http://gcaptain.com/coast-guard-to-investigate-anthem-of-the-seas-wild-ride-into-hurricane-storm/

Edited by Aquahound

I don't think it is the same thing. How fast can these ship go compared to a storm with hurricane force winds. Knowing it's coming and sailing away at full speed is one thing but heading towards it when it is already there is something else. Is the radar on these ships that bad that it doesn't tell about the storm until you are already in it. I thought it gives you the information miles away.

That's not exactly what happened, though. When they left port, they were sailing toward where the storm was projected to be, and by "outrun it", the idea was that they'd get by the projected path of the storm, before the storm got there (or fully developed). It was not about the ship being able to move faster than the storm.

So, yes, dodging hurricanes often involves the same kind of thing - getting past the projected path of the storm, before the storm gets there, not necessarily moving faster than the storm moves.

Fiscally responsible? Peoples lives were in danger. Make RCCL pay for the investigation. If they don't like it they can leave. See how long it will take them to get the old checkbook out.

Oh, I'm certain of it. Considering the media attention and fact damage did occur, although mostly cosmetic, I would be very surprised if a team of USCG inspectors didn't board the ship.

Edit...yep, it's already being reported:

http://gcaptain.com/coast-guard-to-investigate-anthem-of-the-seas-wild-ride-into-hurricane-storm/

Yes, they will do a Port State inspection, as both of us acknowledged, and as is their obligation. I've also seen where the Bahamas has asked them to assist in a review of procedures, which would be an ISM audit, with the USCG in its SIS function, and giving help from the Experience Center.

That's not exactly what happened, though. When they left port, they were sailing toward where the storm was projected to be, and by "outrun it", the idea was that they'd get by the projected path of the storm, before the storm got there (or fully developed). It was not about the ship being able to move faster than the storm.

So, yes, dodging hurricanes often involves the same kind of thing - getting past the projected path of the storm, before the storm gets there, not necessarily moving faster than the storm moves.

What about the radar though? I thought that should have helped.

Yes, they will do a Port State inspection, as both of us acknowledged, and as is their obligation. I've also seen where the Bahamas has asked them to assist in a review of procedures, which would be an ISM audit, with the USCG in its SIS function, and giving help from the Experience Center.

Exactly right. :)